[SOLVED] What's this component and is it damaged ?

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Hello, sorry if my question sounds silly, it's just I'm newbie to the PC hardware generally so I have this PC part that I think has something to do with Network and Internet generally so I'm wondering if it will turn my PC into WIFI and Bluetooth device or if it's just an adapter for the Network cable, also, I have a DDR3 motherboard and I tried plugging it and running and it didn't work, so I'm guessing that it's because its slot is ruined and won't work anymore ? here some pictures of it :

View: https://imgur.com/ZjmkL6F

View: https://imgur.com/ezAHVkn

View: https://imgur.com/53Pjknx

Solution
That is a 56k V.92 Internal PCI Modem.
That's how we used to connect to the internet...not long ago... thru phone lines.
These days, some might use that modem to send faxes.
Even though it is an internet device, I don't think you have any use for it.
That's how we used to connect to the internet...not long ago... thru phone lines.
Even though it is an internet device, I don't think you have any use for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khalil4life
Solution

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Even though it is an internet device, i don't think you have any use for it.

Thanks

I was thinking of selling it, maybe someone wants it so from how it appears in the pictures, is it damaged or not ? The slots seems like it's missing pins (those yellow teeth/lines in the bottom, I just don't know what they are called lol) or something

D

Deleted member 14196

eeeeeeeeee aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! (DTMF connection sounds) LOL, memories.

Edit
one of my first jobs I helped to rebuild and restore cable modems (the first I had ever seen) and we set up an internal network at work, and I started to dream about cable modems in the home and everywhere, now look where we are. ahhh

Thanks

I was thinking of selling it, maybe someone wants it so from how it appears in the pictures, is it damaged or not ? The slots seems like it's missing pins (those yellow teeth/lines in the bottom, I just don't know what they are called lol) or something
I don't think you are going to sell that and make a profit.
To find out if it works, you will have to install it on a computer that has a PCI slot and test it.
The gold contacts are just fine and that's how it supposed to be.

Reactions: Khalil4life

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
I don't think you are going to sell that and make a profit.
To find out if it works, you will have to install it on a computer that has a PCI slot and test it.
The gold contacts are just fine and that's how it supposed to be.

Alright, Thanks

I guess I changed my mind and I would just use it to decorate my room haha