[SOLVED] What's throttling my rig?

Jul 12, 2021
Howdy folks, long time lurker, new account finally ask a question of my own. Thanks for your attention, let's see if you can figure this one out-

I recently picked up a rig made July 2020, as below:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 (4.4 Ghz to overclock)
GeForce RTX 2080s 8Gb
Asus Prime A320M-K
1x16 DDR4Gb 1333.3 (2666Mhz C19 PC4-21300)
900W PS?

Using an Asus VG248 144Mhz monitor. The GPU has 3 slots for the display port I use, 1 seems to be set to 100Mhz and the others at at least 144? I've got it in port 1 I think.

Nothing is overclocked yet.

Similar rigs on 2060s / 2070s and very similar CPU's (i5 and i7's) and, as a benchmark, they get around 150fps is Hunt- Showdown where I am getting between 60-100fps depending on lighting, so it seems something is seriously off.

The guy I got the rig off totally wiped everything before handing it over, so everything is freshly installed. I have updated the BIOS and all the motherboards DRV's which gave perhaps another 10-20 fps.

I use GeForce control panel and it claims the CPU and GPU both work at 60% at the most intense moments, running at around 50-60 degrees Celsius.

Let me know what else you may want to know, I'm not sure where to go next. I'm looking at 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz C16 RAM but I am not sure if it will make a huge difference, certainly not to achieve more than what my friend's PC's are getting.

Assume I may be incorrect about the power supply, could it be that it isn't getting enough juice? Please let me know your thoughts.

Solution
Almost certainly your slow single channel memory. Ryzen likes fast memory, and starving a CPU of half its bandwidth is never good. That should be something like a 20% improvement in minimum FPS as a start, and getting an actual fast kit like 3600Mhz should make up the rest.

All the ports on the GPU should be capable of 144hz, even the HDMI. Your monitor on the other hand, probably only through DVI and Display Port. HDMI will be limited.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Almost certainly your slow single channel memory. Ryzen likes fast memory, and starving a CPU of half its bandwidth is never good. That should be something like a 20% improvement in minimum FPS as a start, and getting an actual fast kit like 3600Mhz should make up the rest.

All the ports on the GPU should be capable of 144hz, even the HDMI. Your monitor on the other hand, probably only through DVI and Display Port. HDMI will be limited.

Solution
Jul 12, 2021
Will the RAM really make that much difference? The performance levels seem so staggering that it's hard to fathom it's single channel high CL RAM that's causing such a dramatic decrease in performance.

Jul 12, 2021
Love the I-robot signature quote Mandark. Thanks for your input guys, these still seem to imply that the framerate difference is anywhere up to 30fps, do you think that would cause the difference of around a 70fps difference between my build and my friend's with a lesser GPU?

Edit: I see you said with that processor, so you think it'd be worth changing the CPU and RAM out then?

Last edited:
Dual channel memory usually helps. Ryzen is designed for fast memory. Your cpu is about equal to an i7 8700k. I have a 3600 with dual channel 3000mhz 16gb kit and it does fine. Only thing holding my system back is a gtx 970. I actually just received a gtx 1070 today that I ordered, so expecting a nice improvement at 1080p. But start with a 3200mhz kit or better and go from there.

I wonder if the a320 board is holding anything back? As those are lower end boards. But I’d start with ram to see what happens.

Will the RAM really make that much difference? The performance levels seem so staggering that it's hard to fathom it's single channel high CL RAM that's causing such a dramatic decrease in performance.
Yes. You are essentially bottle-necking the CPU due to poor memory bandwidth. Ideally for gaming on a 3600x you'd want to run a 2x8 or 2x16 setup @ 3200c14 or 3600c16 which will give about the same performance. Also an SSD for your game drive will make a big difference if you're not already running one.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah on Intel CPUs ram speed and dual channel vs single channel makes almost no difference.

On Ryzen it can cripple the CPU if your ram is slow. And your ram is S L O W.

Get 2 sticks of 3600Mhz RAM in there and your performance issues will literally melt away. 2x 8GB sticks is more than fine, you don't need 32GB.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah on Intel CPUs ram speed and dual channel vs single channel makes almost no difference.

Single channel makes a big difference with Intel, memory speed is of less importance. Same rough 20% penalty in minimum framerates if you use single channel.

You can find a lot of material on this of late since many techsites are trying to recommend pre-builts, but single channel memory seems to be a common flaw amongst the OEMs.