[SOLVED] what's up with 11GB memory max?

Jan 6, 2020
Why do most high end video cards seem to max out at 11GB memory? why no 12GB or 16GB or more? Folks, please save your time and mine and not send me a list of cards that have more than 11GB. That is not my question. 11GB seems to be where many top-out for the past few years. Not sure if it is a technical reason or simply a cost to benefit sweetspot. I am hoping someone has some info or numbers to explain.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you need more than 11GB of vram?
Do you have any software, that can utilize that much?

This is similar to amount of max possible system ram. You can have 128GB easily on a 4 ram slot DDR4 system. But for gaming workloads it makes little sense to have more than 16GB.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

We're going to need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and make sure you're on the latest drivers for your GPU as well as the BIOS for your motherboard. This is ofc, assuming you're working with a desktop and not a laptop or an AIO system.

Jan 6, 2020
Titan RTX has 24GB of vram.
Are you ready to pay $2500 for it? ;)
Welcome to the forums!

We're going to need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and make sure you're on the latest drivers for your GPU as well as the BIOS for your motherboard. This is ofc, assuming you're working with a desktop and not a laptop or an AIO system.
Was this autogenerated or did you not read my question? None of the info you are requesting is pertinent to my question.

This is similar to amount of max possible system ram. You can have 128GB easily on a 4 ram slot DDR4 system. But for gaming workloads it makes little sense to have more than 16GB.

Solution
Didn't really answer my question. I didn't say none had more than 11GB. but 11GB seems to be where many top-out. Not sure if it is a technical reason or simply a cost to benefit sweetspot.

lol. 1st of all, you dont need more than 11gb.

2nd of all, its to keep the cost on a consumer level.

3rd, if they gave you the best cards they have NOW, they wouldnt be able to make you keep paying for "older versions".

cell phones do this. They already have a better version of the phone when they release a phone. But why release the better version now when they can release the worse version, that is still "new" to you, and you will buy that phone, and then their next phone, and the next... etc.

They sell you the worse version because they can. They already have better gpus, but they can make more money selling you every model they make, and not just the best model, every time. Get it?

Jan 6, 2020

I don't have software that needs more. 11GB just seemed like a strange amount. I thought maybe there was a technical or cost constraint to prevent 12GB from being more standard.

I don't have software that needs more. 11GB just seemed like a strange amount. I thought maybe there was a technical or cost constraint to prevent 12GB from being more standard.

Trust me, its the reasons I said.

Guarenteed they already have plans to make 12gb the normal. But 1st they will keep selling you 11gb because they can make more money now by selling you the worse version now. Then after 12gb itll go to 13gb. They release products in tiers so they are able to sell you every varient they come up with.

It dont make much sense from a business standpoint to go from 11gb up to 18gb overnight when they can just go 12gb and secure more future sales for every tier of upgrade.