Question Whats up with my computer?

Justin Sisti

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hi Guys, I've run into bit of a perplexing situation where I can't quite figure out what component is causing my whole system to crash.

Specs are:
i5 6700k OC to 4.2ghz
32 GB EVGA SuperSC
MSI Seahawk EK GTX 1080
EVGA G3 850W
Gigabyte z270M -D3H- CF
Windows 10 Home

All custom watercooled.

My problem is as follows:
  • When using my computer normally (browsing internet, watching videos, playing less demanding games) I never run into any issue.
  • When playing more demanding games (Mordhau, Overwatch etc) my computer will be able to play games just fine for a random amount of time and then the computer locks up, screen goes black, whatever sounds were last played are stuck.
  • I then have to reboot to access my computer again.
Heres where it gets even weirder;
  • Sometimes I can play the more demanding games without issue. It seems to be on cooler nights (not using AC yet just windows open) but none of my components ever go above 50C when gaming regardless of ambient.
  • I think I've narrowed it down to the GPU that's causing the issue, but then why can it play games just fine?
  • Additionally I found that If I let the caps drain (turn off comp, switch PSU to off, wait, then reboot) I can get more time out of the more demanding games.
This issue is also recent and I was able to play whatever I wanted with no issues whatsoever.

I've tried underclocking and undervolting both the GPU and CPU and the issue still occurs.

I don't really want to open up my loop without knowing the real issue because it is all hardlined with Mayhem's green (exact fluid is escaping me rn) and getting green goop everywhere is not my idea of a fun afternoon.

I will also mention that I did have a pipe pop out at one point and green goop got on my GPU but I was able to clean off like 95% of it, and as I said before this issue is recent and my computer has functioned just fine post burst. (Pop happened while cycling only the pump, no other components were powered).

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really have no idea which component it could be, GPU/PSU/Mobo are my best guesses right now.

Justin Sisti

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Just as an update for anyone who might be experiencing this same issue, I found out I didn't have enough airflow in my case (inWin 303) and I needed some more fans to allow for more cooling to the motherboard chipset.

Anyone else out there keep in mind you still need cooling for all of the components water cooled or not!!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just as an update for anyone who might be experiencing this same issue, I found out I didn't have enough airflow in my case (inWin 303) and I needed some more fans to allow for more cooling to the motherboard chipset.

Anyone else out there keep in mind you still need cooling for all of the components water cooled or not!!

Glad to hear you figured it out. Issues with VRMs and the like can be more obnoxious to pick up. That you found out and resolved the issue is quite fortunate!

Justin Sisti

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Glad to hear you figured it out. Issues with VRMs and the like can be more obnoxious to pick up. That you found out and resolved the issue is quite fortunate!
Glad to know someone out there is reading this thread lol

But yeah I had the side panel off for a bit and that worked for a while but I had to get a little fan up next to it to adequately cool everything before I could get some 120mm fans for the bottom, but now everything works great and I was even able to boost my overclock a little bit!