Whats up with the 5xxx drivers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Just wondering why I am getting so many PM's from people needing help with the new drivers from ATI? When is this going to be addressed? I would think that by now ATI would have a decent driver that works w/o any issues. Some people complain that thier 5970 does not run eye-finity, some say that they get artifacts with their 5850 or 5870.. This is just ridiculous. I mean the cards are new but this is just unnaceptable. I was going to invest in dual 5770's but if the drivers are not up to par then i might as well wait for the 3xx series...

Back in the day I used to own the x1600PRO and the 2400XT and I had no issues whatsoever as far as drivers go...What happend since then? :(

I did a bit of reaserch over at the Egg just to see what complaints I would find and most negative reviews are based on poor driver support. many are from Nvidia users that switched to ATI and they are not happy campers... This thread was not created to compare both brands but we need a medium here. I have yet to see a recent GF review that talks about poor drivers from Nvidia... AMD what is going ON!!!!???

New process, new architecture, new version of DirectX, new version of windows.

Do I really have to go on? Wait and see what Fermi ends up like, this is a picnic in comparison.

You are strating to sound like a Fanboy... That was not the intention of this thread. I have owned both AMD and Nvidia products before you were even concieved and to this date I find that these drivers are just unnaceptable, specially when the cards are 4 months old.... Some have 0 issues while others want to throw their 5 series card out the window... get it??

My issue is mainly with the current drivers, nothing else.....

G

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy? :D

You started some nonsensical driver thing that most people have disagreed with. There is nothing wrong with the current drivers. Would you like to see my benchmarks for proof?

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy? :D

You started some nonsensical driver thing that most people have disagreed with. There is nothing wrong with the current drivers. Would you like to see my benchmarks for proof?

Dude, look at my previos post, you are nothing but an ATI fanboy waiting to blow... Not everyone is having driver issues but if you post on a daily basis here on Toms you will see a long string of driver complaints, this is nothing new, like I said, some have 0 issues while others do.....

G

Ok let me point out something you clearly missed.

ATI have sold over 1 million of these cards, on a known problematic process, under a new version of windows and a new directx too.

Feel free to wait and see how awesomely Nvidia cope with it. I mean they've done so well recently, this should be easy right? Fact is Nvidia can't even do dx10.1 right.

I wonder if one reason I've had no driver issues (but a couple minor heat issues that has been resolved), is that I went ahead and sent info on my system to win7 several times for a couple weeks after a driver crash I had in the first couple days I owned the card.

I have never sent in info after crashes in the past, but I went ahead and did it this one time, and MS kept sending more requests for spec's on my system for a week or two. Anyways, I haven't had driver issues sinse.

Anyways, as far as this forum goes, I haven't seen a particularly high yield of ATI driver issues lately. Before thanksgiving, yes, even a little into december, but for a few weeks now, I thought I've seen a lot more Nvidia driver problems from people.

Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well it could be user error, but we've seen too many complaints.

Maybe it's a hardware incompatibility problem. We've just got to see what allthese failures have in common to determine the problem.

Either it's a real fault or someone continually posting.

Whatever it is, drivers will always cause problems.

Ok let me point out something you clearly missed.

ATI have sold over 1 million of these cards, on a known problematic process, under a new version of windows and a new directx too.

Feel free to wait and see how awesomely Nvidia cope with it. I mean they've done so well recently, this should be easy right? Fact is Nvidia can't even do dx10.1 right.

Look, im not here to argue with you but SALES has nothing to do with the driver issues. Of course as time passes by we will get better drivers, im just surprised that at this point in time many are still having many complaints about the same thing. I want better driver support as well since I am a click away from ordering my 5770's. Not to say that I will have the same issues as most but it would be nice to see better drivers. That is all this thread is about. maybe you have never had a driver issue and that is why you are defending AMD to that extent. Me on the other hand disagree and would like to see better overall driver support.

G

JESUS.

Of course SALES has a lot to do with driver issues. The #1 reason why you are reading about so much more ATI driver issues now isn't because of hardware probs, it's because ATI have sold more cards in the past 2 months than they ever did before. These issues exist for both sides, and always have, they were just not reported like this. The reason you are reading less Nvidia issues? Nobody is buying Nvidia cards!

Do you even realise that it took almost 1 year for ATI to sell 2 million 4850/4870 series cards? They have sold that already in 3 months! With a new problematic process, new windows and new dx11!

You don't like the issues? Wait for Fermi, just do the rest of us a favour and wait quietly instead of trying to spread garbage non-issues about ati drivers.

Sorry if I have missed the link someone provided but is there any actual figures on known issues caused by the drivers and how many of the customer base is affected?

If not, wtf is this thread about?

This is not about known issues caused by the drivers. It's about the drivers period. Some are having an excellent time with their cards while others are just pist off... And way too many posts/pm's about "when will we get better drivers".. And I don't think 100% of those issues are user error related ;) that's all.....

I've never had issues with either company's drivers that I couldn't fix myself, which simply leads me to the idea that was come to originally, too many FAQin idiots out there with money to buy new cards and whine about it but not money to get good tech support. Especially the knobs who never clean out their old drivers.

Show me something more than 'my neighbour' 'someone PMed me' etc. cause really, you're not providing much evidence of anything other than you're getting worked up about other people's st00pifity, and you're doing it in an annoying way. :pfff: