Whats with the hatred towards my new video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Sorry if the title is a bit misleading, i wasnt sure where to post this and i wasnt sure what to title it. I just want to hear some opinions on what happened to me today.

I have a terrible back, video games are one of the few things that distract me from the pain im in. I managed to save up the money for 2 EVGA nvidia 590 GTX video cards. I couldnt figure out whether to wait for a price drop or not. I need these cards to last for at least 2-4+ years.
Finally after playing battlefield 3's beta i knew i had to get the cards. I asked for help finding 2 cards for sale on yahoo answers because of the lack of availability.

I got 5 extremely rude answers where i was getting trolled which i never experienced on that site before. I was given one link that worked but they were also very rude. They said i had more money than sense, and that i was crazy and wanted to burn my house down. You can imagine some of the stuff these kind of ppl will say.

Anyways do you guys feel that these cards are just stupidly expensive and not worth it? Or do you think given my reasons it was worth it? I mean these cards are pumping out amazing stats compared to superclocked 580s.

-Thanks for your time, and if this thread is a waste of everyones time feel free to let it sink.

Solution
Anybody in their right mind wouldn't turn down 2 590's. If ya got it then get it!... who cares what the haters think, they're jealous. Any gamer on this site would love to be able to run sli 590's! Overkill? yes probably, but if you're able then cool... if I had the $$ I'd run 2 6990's in a heartbeat!

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I would hazard to geuss that there was a lot of 'jealousy' in those posts.. and I bet you that NONE of them would turn down 2x 590's if they could get them. that being said they are pretty darn expensive, and a bit overpriced when you look at performance/ per dollar charts ..

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
It depends what ur after.

2x 580's or even 570's will out perform a single 590

2x 6970's or even 6950's will out perform a single 6990

performance wise your better off with 4 of the SINGLE Core cards than 2 of the Dual core cards (ATI or NVIDIA Alike)

see the performance for yourself
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/3DMark11-Enthusiast,2660.html

IMO its a better move to get 2x or 4x of the single cards the dual core card.
its a case of although its the most expensive card you can buy, it might not be the best performance setup.

GTX 590's for reference
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=GTX+590&x=0&y=0

Wolverine84

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
First off, if you've earned the money it's your right to spend it as you see fit. I would only encourage you to make sure that this is the best way to spend that much money, but if your back is bad enough to prevent leisure activities outside a chair, then by all means go for it! I play too many video games and I DON'T have a bad back, so I certainly won't hate on you.

As for advice concerning which cards to get, 2 590's is overkill for current games, but may very well be nice to have in the future. Since availability is limited now, I can only imagine it won't be great should you decide to wait on SLI for a year or two. So if this is the build you want to end up with, then getting it now makes sense. But since 1 580 and many SLI and Crossfire options will get you excellent performance now, I personally would get something less expensive than 2 590's and wait a couple years for the biggest and baddest then. But that's just my opinion, in the end, do what you want as long as you think it'll make you happy :)

Before making any assumptions, what resolution or monitor setup do you play with, and do you use 3D vision?

Depending on the answer to those questions, you might not have gained any actual performance increase with 2 590's over 1 or even a single 580. I realize FPS on benchmarks might show higher regardless of setup, but that doesn't always mean those extra FPS are ever displayed for viewing, depending on your monitor situation.

Buegur

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I would personally get something smaller such as the 6950's ($210). They are much cheaper alternative and should run anything out there at pretty much max. Nvdia 560's ($220)would also be a nice compromise. As a rule of thumb I do not to buy the highest unit made as most games don't need that power and in 6 months to a year a new mid priced unit will most likely come close to it in performance. Spending $1400 for two 590's isn't very cost effective and in two years you could spend another $200 on mid cards which will likely have more features and exceed it in performance.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Yes, GTX 590s are far too expensive for what they are, and the GTX 580 SLI is more than enough performance for any of todays games, and a lot of them into the future.

Essentially the GTX 590 is two, underclocked GTX 580s sitting on one board. An SLI GTX 580 will be faster than a single GTX 590, and unless you are going to do Tri-Monitor setup with 3-D, the GTX 580 will be just fine.

Now to buying a GTX 590 SLI. First off you need enough power to run the system. I'd recommend a quality 1000W PSU at least for this card setup. Also you'll need at least a i7 2600 (preferably the K edition and overclocked) and a SLI compatible motherboard. Also your computer case must be large and have enough airflow. (CoolerMaster HAF X should do)

Buying one is a little tricky now. After release they have been in short supply and are a little hard to find. Ordering one through a Microcenter for US residents might be cheaper if they have them, otherwise Newegg will be your best bet. Here is the one they have in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130693

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks guys, my friends suggested it was jealousy so that was the only logical conclusion i could get to for how rude they were.

The two cards say they are sli ready so im gonna be using them in an SLI mode until i can afford the other two monitors i have.

Right now i have a 160 hz 160 fps 3d ready acer lcd monitor thats 23.6 inches. I wish it was 20-21 inches but i believe i could only find that monitor in a 23.6 inch version. It has a 1920X1080 res.

I will then move my monitors around since i currently have 4 monitors other than the new one that are ok. I made a mistake and purchased 2 led monitors months ago and they are the worst monitors ive ever had. I cant even wall mount them. I plan to wall mount my other 2 monitors which are 60hz 60fps lcd 1920X1080 samsung monitors, along with my new monitor.
That way i can switch between a single monitor 3d mode and a non 3d surround mode.

Oh and as for a PSU, i have a Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply, model PSU-RIP1000-BK, which came with my old Sword M case that i purchased years ago. I believe it will get the job done, but before i install the new cards i need to make sure they will work together.

This. Two GTX 590's won't result in any real world improvement on a 22 inch monitor over one. This is what people mean by, "more money than sense." If having two doesn't help over one, then you're wasting your money.

If you have a system that can actually benefit from SLI GTX 590's, and you don't care about the inherent hassles involved with dual card setups then go for it!

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
my bad, I thought you had ALREADY bought them..if not then yeah I would not reccommend getting 2x 590's ..2x 580s will be plenty for the next 2-4 yrs ..plus you have money left over for some sweet monitirs , and even a nice comfy chair , maybe one of those with the back massagers in them ..

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Did i forget to say that im planning two buy two more of the 23.6 inch 3d monitors? My plans are to eventually be able to run a full nvidia 3d surround setup, and to have it keep up with any game coming out for a while with maxed out settings.

Since i dont have the money for both monitors right now im gonna work with what i have, which is the 1 3d monitor, and instead of the led monitors i have ill be using my samsung lcd monitors for the surround monitors. I used to always like running multiple monitors while gaming, but my frame rate is much better when i only run the one monitors right now with my 2 460 GTX cards.

Oh and yeah i literally bought them right before i made this thread. I can still cancel them, or return them if i want, but i dont think im going to want to do that.

The only thing worrying me is the heat from running both these cards. I have another thread regarding my fan setup so i can keep everything as cool as possible, if you have any suggestions that would be great.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=312067&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=&trash_post=&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#t2370799

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Damn im a need another power supply then lol

Any suggestions? Something hopefully affordable. I like tidiness so if theres a good power supply out there that allows for all those different plugs for all the different rails that would be great. Either way any power supply will work.
I just like being able to unplug a rail thats not in use, so its not loose in the computer doin nuthin.

So what I hear is you plan to run in 2 configurations; 3D vision on 1 monitor, or 2D surround on 3 1080p monitors.

This is a situation where a lot of power is needed. Definitely worth 1 590, but I'm not sure it's worth 2, but I'm not saying it won't benefit from 2 at all.

I'd recommend getting your monitors situated first and go with a single 590. See how you like 3D vision and 2D surround. See how the performance is, and only then consider if a 2nd 590 is worth it.

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the idea, i was originally gonna do that, but because of how hard it was to find even one of these cards, i was shocked to be able to purchase 2. I had to buy them while i had the chance.

I use to love splurging on my computers and not having to upgrade anything for a minimum of two years. Recently my family had some money trouble and with how expensive good parts are now a days its hard to keep doing that.

I usually am lucky to have any funds, so when i have it i spend it other wise i wind up loaning it to my folks or spending it carelessly on some hyped up game or gaming product.

I figure as long as i can keep the gpus cool enough they will last me a long time and be well worth the money ive spent. What forced me to buy the cards instead of waiting for a price drop or for more availability was battlefield 3. Ive been playing the beta every day, and with my current setup i cant run max graphics in a non 3d single monitor 1080p setup.

The next thing i need to put my money towards is the power supply, another hard drive for storage, as well as some sound cards for my music.

I desperately need suggestions on power supplies tho. I did a quick search on newegg for a highly rated 1100+ watt psu. The best rated one i found doesnt list the amps for the 12 volt rails but says every rail is +12 volts.

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I got a nice pair of tritton gaming headphones. I think its called tritton, maybe triton?

I love em but they get very comfortable around my ears after an hour or 45 mins of wearing em. They are great tho, 5.1 dolby digital surround sound with a built in mic, works on my ps3, 360, and PC.

As for the fans im hoping that a controller that was suggested for me will allow me to keep everything low unless im gaming, then im gonna really need those headphones lol.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have GTX 590 and they are great cards but very expensive. It is extremely convenient for running 3 monitors from a single card. They are overkill for 1 monitor and a good fit for 3 monitors but if you plan to run vision 3D 2 - GTX 590's is necessary.

It is up to you if you have a machine foundation and money to run 2 of these cards.

You should have a mother board that support dual 16x PCIe slots (which means expensive motherboard)
A fast quad or six core machine likely overclocked to keep them fed
A full size case that fits a motherboard and cards of this size
High end cooling to keep your Case and CPU's cool
At least a 1Kw to 1.2Kw power supply.

Along with all the other stuff that goes into a build like this.

You will rightfully get flamed by people because they will assume you are flaunting the means to buy 2 of these cards but do not have the sense to know what is needed to put it together or think it's ridiculous for you to be looking for them on Ebay. You should be buying them from a good manufacture like EVGA with a lifetime warranty as they are a big investment.

The Tritton Ax Pro's? I have a pair of those too. You'll probably be fine then.

RussK1

Splendid
Anybody in their right mind wouldn't turn down 2 590's. If ya got it then get it!... who cares what the haters think, they're jealous. Any gamer on this site would love to be able to run sli 590's! Overkill? yes probably, but if you're able then cool... if I had the $$ I'd run 2 6990's in a heartbeat!

Solution
One concern about 3 way SLI, is that on motherboards that can support 3 cards, they are all right up against each other giving very bad air flow. If you can get the same power out of 2 cards, you can get a motherboard with the extra slot of air between them. Besides, a 590 is much cheaper than 2 580's.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah, 1.5GB per chip, amounting to 3GB. The GTX 580 3GB in SLI would probably be better for what the OP is going to build. Unless nVidia makes a GTX 590 6GB, 3GB per chip :0.

Status
Not open for further replies.