what's wrong today? (help!)

This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly getting a
dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong Sprint signal,
today (for no reason I can see) I have been getting a signal for about a
second or two, then it searches for a signal, then it picks it up again, and
then searches again. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's every second or
two. Also, I switched to "Automatic" mode just to see what would happen, and
even then it would sometimes drop the roaming signal and search again for a
signal. This even happened to me when I went outside!

Right now, in my apartment, I seem to be getting a strong signal and it
hasn't dropped yet. But does anyone know why it would do this today, when it
never has before? Is it the phone, or Sprint, or maybe my area today
(downtown Boston)? I hope it's only temporary.

Thanks.

--
John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

John Salerno wrote:
> This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly
> getting a dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong
> Sprint signal, today (for no reason I can see) I have been getting a
> signal for about a second or two, then it searches for a signal, then
> it picks it up again, and then searches again. I'm not exaggerating
> when I say it's every second or two. Also, I switched to "Automatic"
> mode just to see what would happen, and even then it would sometimes
> drop the roaming signal and search again for a signal. This even
> happened to me when I went outside!
>
> Right now, in my apartment, I seem to be getting a strong signal and
> it hasn't dropped yet. But does anyone know why it would do this
> today, when it never has before? Is it the phone, or Sprint, or maybe
> my area today (downtown Boston)? I hope it's only temporary.
>
> Thanks.

::sigh:: Just made a test call right now, and even though it's a strong
signal, the ringing and the person on the other end broke up badly. They
heard me, but I could barely hear them.Why do things like this just happen
out of nowhere?

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

raf

John Salerno wrote:

> This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly
> getting a dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong
> Sprint signal, today (for no reason I can see) I have been getting a
> signal for about a second or two, then it searches for a signal, then
> it picks it up again, and then searches again. I'm not exaggerating
> when I say it's every second or two. Also, I switched to "Automatic"
> mode just to see what would happen, and even then it would sometimes
> drop the roaming signal and search again for a signal. This even
> happened to me when I went outside!
>
> Right now, in my apartment, I seem to be getting a strong signal and
> it hasn't dropped yet. But does anyone know why it would do this
> today, when it never has before?

Sounds like a tower problem. Call *2 to report it.

> Is it the phone, or Sprint, or maybe my area today (downtown Boston)?

I had the identical symptoms two days ago in my house (suburban Boston,
where I've never had such a problem in more than two years). The *2 CSR
tried to tell me it must be my phone, but I have three different Sprint
PCS handsets and they were all acting the same. So he took some very
specific location information and promised to submit a trouble report.

> I hope it's only temporary.

My problem cleared up overnight.

> Thanks.

Good luck.

raf

I wrote in reply to John Salerno:

> Sounds like a tower problem. Call *2 to report it.

I just realized this will likely be impossible for you. (I'm too used to
saying " *2 " when referencing Sprint PCS customer service.) You'll need
to call 1-888-211-4727 from a wired line or another wireless carrier, of
course.

John Salerno wrote:
> This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly
> getting a dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong

Thanks for the info guys. I asked a few other people and one said he had the
same problem since last night, but two others (one who had the same phone as
me, if that matters) weren't having the problem. But it looks like it might
have cleared up now. I turned my phone off for several hours, not sure if
that affected anything, but so far so good, so I'll just have to keep
checking. If it happens again, I'll call. And thanks for the landline
number...it was frustrating to have a problem and not be able to call *2!
:)

--

John Salerno

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mike

Splendid

John Salerno wrote:

> This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly getting a
> dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong Sprint signal,
> today (for no reason I can see) I have been getting a signal for about a
> second or two, then it searches for a signal, then it picks it up again, and
> then searches again. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's every second or
> two. Also, I switched to "Automatic" mode just to see what would happen, and
> even then it would sometimes drop the roaming signal and search again for a
> signal. This even happened to me when I went outside!
>
> Right now, in my apartment, I seem to be getting a strong signal and it
> hasn't dropped yet. But does anyone know why it would do this today, when it
> never has before? Is it the phone, or Sprint, or maybe my area today
> (downtown Boston)? I hope it's only temporary.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> John Salerno
>
> We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once.
> -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Call Sprint from a landline. In the few times I've had this issue, it's
been a tower problem, and once reported, is resolved within 12-48 hours.
You may also want to consider updating your PRL and ensuring that Free
& Clear America is on your account. They new PRL will help your roaming
experience, possibly opening a bit of digital roaming in places where
previously your phone would select analog. In some limited instances,
you may also experience better performance on Sprint. You can perform
the update over the air, but you'll need a solid, strong Sprint signal.
If you do not find that your Sprint signal is more reliable elsewhere,
you can visit your local Sprint store to have the update applied in
house. Try moving around a bit - I'm talking on the scale of a few
miles. If elsewhere your phone also performs poorly, you may have a
phone issue. Your Sprint store can also perform a diagnostic test on
your handset to make sure that it is performing properly.
-mike

In article <40d079a2$0$2995$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ::sigh:: Just made a test call right now, and even though it's a strong
> signal, the ringing and the person on the other end broke up badly. They
> heard me, but I could barely hear them.Why do things like this just happen
> out of nowhere?

I had the same problem on my Sanyo 5400, it was replaced under warranty.

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This has never happened to me before, but today I am constantly getting a
> dropped signal on my 8100. Whereas normally I get a strong Sprint signal,
> today (for no reason I can see) I have been getting a signal for about a
> second or two, then it searches for a signal, then it picks it up again, and
> then searches again. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's every second or
> two.

Just for the record, this exact same thing happened to me last night
(15-Jun Eastern time). I've needed to use my Samsung i500 for net
access lately so it was really killing me :)

It kept trying to stay on a SprintPCS signal, but would fail within a
second or two and sometimes flip to Digital Roaming (no idea which
carrier). Then after a bit it would try SPCS again, and either stick
with it (failing over and over) or go back to roam. By this morning
it was fine again.

I'm in Atlanta inside the perimeter, east of L5P.

why the hell do the idiots say it is your equipment with out knowing that
that is the problem.