Whats wrong with my cpu?

brandon180

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I just purchased my new pc from a friend and up graded the gpu to a evga gtx 960 4gb and i have a amd 8 core fx 320 but it says the speed is only 2.9 ghz and i looked it up and it said that the speed where suppose to be 3.5 ghz can someone help me? I have a gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 motherboard with 8gb of ram.

Solution
If the CPU was under load when you looked then it may have been thermal throttling to 2.9GHz to lower temperatures, if so then invest in an aftermarket cooler.
If you were just sitting on the desktop doing nothing then the CPU probably just down clocked it's self to save on power and it'll ramp back up again when it need the extra speed, this is Cool n' Quiet a dynamic core speed technology for AMD CPU's.
If neither of those are the ace then you may have misconfigured something in the BIOS or UEFI and you should double check that both the FSB and Multipliers are set the the correct settings (FSB = 200 and Multiplier = 17.5) or just set them to "Auto" or "Standard"

lukelaw

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
If the CPU was under load when you looked then it may have been thermal throttling to 2.9GHz to lower temperatures, if so then invest in an aftermarket cooler.
If you were just sitting on the desktop doing nothing then the CPU probably just down clocked it's self to save on power and it'll ramp back up again when it need the extra speed, this is Cool n' Quiet a dynamic core speed technology for AMD CPU's.
If neither of those are the ace then you may have misconfigured something in the BIOS or UEFI and you should double check that both the FSB and Multipliers are set the the correct settings (FSB = 200 and Multiplier = 17.5) or just set them to "Auto" or "Standard"

Solution

brandon180

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

hey sorry i didnt mean to say solved i accidentally clicked it but i was going to say that i could not find my FSB or my Multipliers in my bios where else could i look?

brandon180

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

And yes I do have an aftermarket fan it's a cooler master hyper t4

TRENDING THREADS