[SOLVED] What's wrong with my Dongle

Sep 10, 2019
I finished my first pc build. And have to use a WiFi dongle (Foktech dual band Ac600, link below) to get any Internet as router on opposite side of the house. I have installed all The necessary drivers and its only giving me a MAX speed of 0.75mps. When my phone is connected to the same network and next to the pc it gets 40mps. I have disconnected everything in the house bar the PC and still The same result.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XZ5B5G9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_b0ALDbFC5BZ5G
Does anyone have any idea why this might be? The reviews of the product are amazing so confused as to why mine doesn't work at all. Failing this anyone got any good alternatives to get wifi on the PC.

Solution
Try it next to the router and see if it works better. These very small devices normally are very low power to save battery. The small antenna also do not help.

This is one of the many so called brands that are from companies that just buy repackaged stuff from manufactures in china. They just stamp different names on the outside of the package. The support on this type of stuff is horrible. When you search on amazon you find massive number of these devices that look identical. In many cases they will actually have the same FCCID.

You should be able to find the chipset manufacture and load the drivers from their website. It is likely a realtek chipset but it will tell you if you look at the driver setting in the nic.

If...
Try it next to the router and see if it works better. These very small devices normally are very low power to save battery. The small antenna also do not help.

This is one of the many so called brands that are from companies that just buy repackaged stuff from manufactures in china. They just stamp different names on the outside of the package. The support on this type of stuff is horrible. When you search on amazon you find massive number of these devices that look identical. In many cases they will actually have the same FCCID.

You should be able to find the chipset manufacture and load the drivers from their website. It is likely a realtek chipset but it will tell you if you look at the driver setting in the nic.

If it works ok next to the router it likely is just the dongle is low power. A cell phone has larger antenna and better placement and many times it has the ability to increase the transmit power to near the legal maximum.

You can try a USB extension cable maybe that will help get it away from the back of the machine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS