[SOLVED] What's wrong with my PC? Is it the power supply?

Oct 30, 2019
Hello, I have a system that I built myself in the last years... all the components now should be at most 2 years old. Anyway, for some time now I've been having some weird issues, where whenever I start the PC i would get no video input. Somehow , after removing one of the fans, then it worked (but even so I've been playing quite a lot with the fan cables inside to make it work). Today, it stopped working again suddenly... the keyboard that I have has Red lightning and it keeps randomly moving from right to left...

I currently own a EVGA 750W running with Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz & Nvidia 1080 video card on motherboard ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

I am guessing it may be the power supply.... but I don't know if there is any other way to test it except switch it...

I'm also a bit afraid to go with the power supply in guarantee (it should still be in), because I am guessing it will run perfectly fine there...

Edit: on the motherboard the lights showing what's at fault, they are all turned off.(gpu/cpu etc)

Thank you!

Solution
Ok so new update:

Swapped the Video Cards between them and both of them work on the second PC. So VGA also seems ok.

Seems like the only culprits can be MB or PSU.... Maybe I should try resetting CMOS...

EDIT: I swapped the video card to another slot, and then I noticed that now I have a issue with DRAM light on the MB.... I tried using the first stick of RAM only, and it wouldn't boot. Then I tried using only the second stick of RAM, and bam, it booted successfully.... Damn, that was one annoying analysis....

By the way during the VGA swap, I kinda blocked my card half-way through when removing it, jeez I panicked so much as I couldn't push it in either (due to the HDMI entrances sticking to the case, so i squeezed them in and...

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
No video input would normally suggest graphics card as it is what allows video input in the first place really. I would check the cabling etc to make sure it is all fine as it may just be a simple case of it just slightly not being in properly.

I would also check the boot devices in the BIOS to make sure it isn't trying to load via something else.

Oct 30, 2019
No video input would normally suggest graphics card as it is what allows video input in the first place really. I would check the cabling etc to make sure it is all fine as it may just be a simple case of it just slightly not being in properly.

I would also check the boot devices in the BIOS to make sure it isn't trying to load via something else.

So I just tried:
  • removing the video card and putting it back in;
  • un-plugging and re-plugging all the power supply cables
  • un-plugging all case fans

Issue still persists... I can't access BIOS as I don't have any video input. What other weird behaviour I had for a long time was that every now and then , the BIOS would reset and put itself on HDD (where there is no windows installed). So i got 1x SSD 120GB / 1x SSD 500GB and 1 HDD 1TB. The windows is installed on the 120GB SSD, and everytime this happened (more like during a power outage) , or when my cat would hop on the case and just shut down the PC, I would have this issue.

It's also weird that the PC would work just by me unplugging one of the case fans... It's been working like that for some time, but since today I'm not able to start it anymore.

All fans are working, even the video card fans are running along with all the lightning inside...

I'm honestly at a loss... I also tried starting it up without the graphics card ,trying to use the integrated graphics,but it didn't work. Monitor remains black, with no signal.

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
So I just tried:
  • removing the video card and putting it back in;
  • un-plugging and re-plugging all the power supply cables
  • un-plugging all case fans

Issue still persists... I can't access BIOS as I don't have any video input. What other weird behaviour I had for a long time was that every now and then , the BIOS would reset and put itself on HDD (where there is no windows installed). So i got 1x SSD 120GB / 1x SSD 500GB and 1 HDD 1TB. The windows is installed on the 120GB SSD, and everytime this happened (more like during a power outage) , or when my cat would hop on the case and just shut down the PC, I would have this issue.

It's also weird that the PC would work just by me unplugging one of the case fans... It's been working like that for some time, but since today I'm not able to start it anymore.

All fans are working, even the video card fans are running along with all the lightning inside...

I'm honestly at a loss... I also tried starting it up without the graphics card ,trying to use the integrated graphics,but it didn't work. Monitor remains black, with no signal.

Have you tried plugging the PC into another monitor? You can even connect it up to a TV screen and try. Also have you tried using different cables and not daisy-chaining the PCI-E cables that are plugged into the GPU? (if there is more than one to plug in).

I had a problem with my video card before but it would still start up with fans so don't always assume it works just because the fans go.

Strange that the BIOS resets. If you can get any input, updating the BIOS may resolve that issue (but I would check if it would through the update notes before you did).

Oct 30, 2019
Have you tried plugging the PC into another monitor? You can even connect it up to a TV screen and try. Also have you tried using different cables and not daisy-chaining the PCI-E cables that are plugged into the GPU? (if there is more than one to plug in).

Yes, I actually have 2 PCs, so the first thing I did was connect my PC to the other monitor, using the cables that the 2nd PC use. (So it's clearly not monitor or the cables.

I could try to swap the video cards between the PCs, and see how it reacts...

I know there are other checks to be done like swapping out RAM, but I have a big cooler on top of the CPU, and it's impossible to move them without removing the cooler from the CPU :(.

One thing comes into mind, and that is the cable connecting power supply to VGA. Maybe that is partially at fault, I don't know, but I don't know where I put the box either (if i had a spare cable to test with...).

I am honestly starting to believe that maybe the Motherboard is at fault for all this weird behaviour, and now not being able to start...

Oct 30, 2019
Ok so new update:

Swapped the Video Cards between them and both of them work on the second PC. So VGA also seems ok.

Seems like the only culprits can be MB or PSU.... Maybe I should try resetting CMOS...

EDIT: I swapped the video card to another slot, and then I noticed that now I have a issue with DRAM light on the MB.... I tried using the first stick of RAM only, and it wouldn't boot. Then I tried using only the second stick of RAM, and bam, it booted successfully.... Damn, that was one annoying analysis....

By the way during the VGA swap, I kinda blocked my card half-way through when removing it, jeez I panicked so much as I couldn't push it in either (due to the HDMI entrances sticking to the case, so i squeezed them in and managed to plug the VGA back on and then remove it succesfully)... Jeez.

Last edited:
Reactions: H0PEFU11Y
Solution