Whats wrong with my PC?

upas

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Last month, my computer was running and I started getting artifacts on my screen.
Soon, the whole picture went. I checked out the graphics card and it had blown/popped capacitors.

I thought, ok, I'll replace the graphics card... but after about 2 days of running, I had the same symptoms with the new card, and again, popped capacitors.

I'm guessing this is a PSU issue, but I was wondering if it could have been a mobo issue. The last thing I want to do is buy a new card and psu just to have the card pop again.

Thanks

EDIT: This is the PSU I had: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005
This PC is 3 years old.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
At a guess I'de say PSU (someone on here should know for sure). For something to blow the capacitors it's going to be an overload of power through it and I don't think the motherboard could do that.

A while ago I had a PSU (cheap one...never again!) blow and it took with it my memory and motherboard, then a few weeks later my graphics card died!

I would rather change the PSU than the motherboard, it's easier and more likely to be the problem.
Stick with good brands: Antec, OCZ, Pc Power and Cooling, Silverstone, Corsair and FSP are among the best.
Do not get a cheap unit, it would be better to go for a lower wattage from one of the above makers than a higher wattage 'cheapo' unit, the less expensive supplies often do not deliver their rated wattage and lack protection; A double edged sword that makes them more likely to fail and likely to wreck the system when they do!