What's wrong with my spec's?

Brendan123

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Hi, so my desktop should be able to run Crysis 3 on ultra with full AA and all advanced graphics, but at that level I am only getting 30 fps. I was hoping someone could recommend some parts that would get me to the level previously mentioned.
Here is my build.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core
GPU: Gigabyte R9 280X
PSU:Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s
RAM: 8 Gig
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DSX PCIe 7.1 GX2.5
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Thank you guys I appreciate the input.

Solution
D
Get a GTX 970. You might could get an R9 290 or 290X cheaper but I wouldn't use either of those with a CX 600 so you would need to upgrade the power supply as well. So the 970 is your best bet. You will also need to overclock your CPU to ~4.5Ghz. That should get you to the performance of a stock i5 in gaming.

Edit: Just saw you are only running a single stick of RAM. That will not allow dual channel mode to be used and you will suffer a small 4% to 7% hit versus running 2 identical sticks.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
That, actually looks to be about average for Crysis 3. Benchmarks below:

High
Very High-Detail (Note, the 7970 is equal to the 280x)

Your system looks pretty solid, except for the RAM. Giving more details like the brand, speed, and CAS Latency, would help me. If you don't know, here is a software program that can tell you your info about RAM. When you start it up, go over to "System" then scroll down until you can see memory. The first column is your PC, the other columns are other PCs to compare yours to.

Brendan123

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Each core get's about 30 40 Celsius, but my cpu fan freaks out and makes a lot of noise during crysis and at the end of every day because I game a lot. .My CPU fan tries to compensate, but it's from the CPU package. I'm buying a Corsair Hydro Series h100i for my cpu, and yes this occurs in "welcome to the jungle" My GPU is hot also, but I'm not too concerned with it. People have told me that my cpu temperature is fine, but based on all the noise. I know it is not.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

30-40C is actually a pretty good temp.

Brendan123

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
I know, but please trust me when I say that my computer becomes very, very loud when I game. Maybe my temperature software is off. Ram:
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Smudgy

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
your computer gettn loud isnt thats your comps not running right.it is ! especially at those temps on that 8350 its your fans and what it takes to keeps your temp. your build says nothing about aftermarket heatsink.ditch the stock heatsink as its inadequate for that amd processor that'll solve it .air cooled? hyper evo 212 is better and cheap or water h100 ect

D

Deleted member 217926

Get a GTX 970. You might could get an R9 290 or 290X cheaper but I wouldn't use either of those with a CX 600 so you would need to upgrade the power supply as well. So the 970 is your best bet. You will also need to overclock your CPU to ~4.5Ghz. That should get you to the performance of a stock i5 in gaming.

Edit: Just saw you are only running a single stick of RAM. That will not allow dual channel mode to be used and you will suffer a small 4% to 7% hit versus running 2 identical sticks.

Solution
AMD stock fans are loud, period. Don't bother with the h100i. Get a hyper evo 212 instead nad save yourself your money for near identical cooling and ~$70 less. You need a 2nd 280x to run in crossfire would probably be your cheapest option, and a new PSU probably too.

That or just turn down the settings a notch and the AA and you probably won't even notice the difference but get double the FPS. Most games, the difference between ultra and very high is minimal visually, but a huge performance hit. Same with AA. Turn it down a smidge.

I just can't see dumping $500 for a tiny bit more eye candy.

Latest posts