Whats wrong with this CPU ?

vlad9727

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hello. Im currently having an AMD Athlon 64 +3200 on my pc and i bought from someone randomly long time ago an AMD Athlon 64 x2 +5200 and I've been keeping it in my desk as i couldnt make it work on my motherboard. I even took the whole pc to a local PC service. They couldnt find its problem. The gold pins seem fine, none of them is broken or anything. I applied thermal paste on it, reset the CMOS, BIOS ,etc... Nothing worked. I wanna know if i can actually sell it forward to someone as it has been to me... not looking into scamming anyone. But i wasted money buying it ,and would be nice if i could sell it as well.
My specs:
Motherboard: GA-MA69G-S3H
RAM: 4GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 +3200
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9500GT
Ofc ive searched online for my motherboard and there are about 4 different types of AMD Athlon 64 x2 +5200 and they all should work on my motherboard...
( http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2554 )
Apparently something is wrong. What might it be?
http://i60.tinypic.com/6yfo00.jpg

Could it be the BIOS version? mhm.

Solution
Yea Gigabyte goes by FX (X being a number) and so the higher the number the newer the BIOS.

Have you tried the CPU with just a single stick of RAM or different RAM? The older AMD chips supported certain RAM or might be a RAM compatibility issue with that board.

The worst could be that the CPU is bad. It is very possible for a CPU to be bad, although very very rare.

vlad9727

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

Checked the bios vers with cmd's "wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion" and it gave me "F8e" and same did "msinfo32" using RUN.
I suppose F8e is higher than F4...or F1(the other 3 types of 5200+ needed this one)

Yea Gigabyte goes by FX (X being a number) and so the higher the number the newer the BIOS.

Have you tried the CPU with just a single stick of RAM or different RAM? The older AMD chips supported certain RAM or might be a RAM compatibility issue with that board.

The worst could be that the CPU is bad. It is very possible for a CPU to be bad, although very very rare.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS