Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've been playing Just Cause 4 lately. I'm a good ways into it now, and have been a bit disappointed at how easy the wing suit stunts are. Fortunately I finally found one that took many many tries to perfect. If I encounter any more with such challenge I'll post them too.

Estacion Perdida Wing Suit Stunt

I also just started Star Wars Battlefront 2 a few days ago. Don't really know what to think of it yet, but it's got some good map rotations in Arcade mode. I'm guessing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order by Respawn is going to be the better game though.

Jul 11, 2019
Can name several of games (by version of mine):
Witcher 1-3, Dragon Age Origins, Tyranny, Bioshock 1-2 are the games with the best plot and story.
Apex Legends - the best battle royal (despite bad servers)
Civilization 5 - very interesting strategy
Devil May Cry 3,4,5 and DMC: Devil May Cry - great slashers with pretty exciting (but a bit anime) story

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
Just finished up Nier Automata ending E.

Good God is that a sad but beautiful game, honestly one of the best games I have ever played story wise.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Heroes of Might and Magic III

A game I first bought on CD as part of the trilogy set in Heroes of Might and Magic: Millenium Edition.

I have, over the past several years, rediscovered it, gotten it to behave on Windows XP,, then discovered the Complete version on GoG, so that it can run well on Windows 7 and 10... along with the HD mod to allow for 16:9 and greater aspect ratio usage.

So, despite the hardware I have, and the games I've neglected on Steam, this is the game that seems to be something I can't put down. A turn-based strategy game that, two decades later, thanks to a wiki page, I'm learning more details about than I ever knew when I used to play it regularly.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In the case of HoMM 3, it was a Windows game. It just takes care of the networking and other issues, such that I'm not stuck using NetBEUI/DirectPlay protocol (as I had to do getting the original discs to run on WinXP).

HoMM 2, though, and I assume HoMM 1, have a DosBOX wrapper around them. HoMM 2 is the one that really pulled me in, and I miss the cartoonish "Bluh!" when the Vampire makes an attack in that game.

I played Ori and blind forest quite some time ago. I really loved the artwork in the game. Some of the encounters you had to play through was brutal and I was playing with K&M. It was very frustrating yet very satisfying once you beat those certain areas.

Reactions: Ley

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
I played Ori and blind forest quite some time ago. I really loved the artwork in the game. Some of the encounters you had to play through was brutal and I was playing with K&M. It was very frustrating yet very satisfying once you beat those certain areas.

I know right?

Last edited:
Just finished up Nier Automata ending E. Good God is that a sad but beautiful game, honestly one of the best games I have ever played story wise.
that is an awesome game. at first i didn't enjoy the gameplay very much because of k/m control design but later, after a few MODs and customizes through FAR, it has turned out to be a great experience.

Definitely Ori and the Blind Forest. I'm trying to speedrun it.
loved this game, is so beautiful and fun. it got me looking back into newer platformers and other lower budget games.
Planet Alpha and Apotheon are a couple more modern platformers that i had a lot of fun with.
also have really enjoyed the lower budget isometric, Landinar: Into the Void.
Apotheon
ddP5phJ.jpg

Planet Alpha
OeNkEPJ.jpg

Landinar: Into the Void
sdnT4hk.jpg

Reactions: Ley
Monster Hunter is pretty epic graphics wise for a quest game. Character customization is extraordinary. The weapons systems are varied and complex with various buffs you can find in the environment. You have the option of outright buying better armor/weapons, or crafting your own for a small fee with materials you find.

However minor control and audio glitches are annoying. Voices drop out occasionally. Also aiming during battle is just a pain. Rotating your character requires you rotate your scene with your mouse, then D/W your way around. It's aiming is course and not refined, causing a lot of aiming problems. In cramped quarters that could be a disaster.

I prefer the std model of rotate mouse = rotate you. Hold down mouse wheel = rotate scene with you standing still.

Controls can be inconsistent also. Sometimes a right click will cancel. But to select something on a quest, then you do have to right click. Then to equip out and leave your equipment box, you have to right click which says "Cancel" but that's counter intuitive. The UI should have said "Save and exit" Some poor interface issues that would have made this an EPIC new series with a good story line.

Planet Coaster is just CRACK in sandbox mode. I cannot put that thing down. And the user community is just awesome. It is quite possibly the most addictive game since Sim City 3000 or Cities:Skylines

Ori and Battleblox theater are on my short list to try. I know I liked Psychonauts & other games by the Fine Entertainment

My son likes Kerble OS Space Program. But he wants to be an astronaut. He's also creating new puzzle levels in Portal 2 using the community labs.

Last edited:

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
that is an awesome game. at first i didn't enjoy the gameplay very much because of k/m control design but later, after a few MODs and customizes through FAR, it has turned out to be a great experience.
sdnT4hk.jpg

Never played it on PC but heard it was hit or miss on how it ran due to Denuvo encryption. Shame the game was never properly patched after released but at least the community helped with the mods it released.

isamuelson

Distinguished
For me, it's been DnD Neverwinter Nights. Pulled out my version from GoG and started playing it again. The replay value of this game with the hundreds of user community modules out there, makes this a game to continue to play to this day. EE edition is great if you're looking to play online with the community. That's where it shines. But, if you're just a solo player, then the normal version that I have is the correct choice.

Also, just recently picked up Mad Max and Alien Isolation. I love the open world concept of Mad Max. I'm enjoying just going out on my own (not in story mode) and scavenging for scraps as well as taking on convoys and other war boys out there.

Alien Isolation, if you look at it from a simulation point of view which is what the developers state that was their intent, is nerve racking. I'm stuck right now in the medical facilities hiding from the Xenomorph. I've hid in lockers and under medical tables and have had it walk right past me. When I finally tried to escape after hiding for 20+ minutes, I was killed and I swear I was sweating. That's where this game really shines if you take it as a simulation not a FPS shooter.

Those are the games I'm enjoying right now with NWN being the oldie but goodie. Funny how the older games can outshine a lot of the newer games. I've always felt that back in the 80's when I started playing games on my Apple ][, the games didn't have a lot of graphic fluff, so they resorted on content to make the games interesting, especially in the RPG world. And, they were hard! Many, if you died, that was it.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
recently had gotten back into Grim Dawn. this and Titan Quest always keep me coming back for a new game every so often.

while into the arpg gameplay i noticed a new Warhammer isometric arpg 'Chaosbane' had come out. picked it up last week and have been really enjoying it so far. it appears to have limited maps and gear options at this point but the gameplay is rather fun. has great graphics compared to most of this genre's games.

D

Deleted member 217926

I just finished almost 150 hours of Battletech. Great game made better with the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod from the Nexus. I'm going to take a break and wait on the the last DLC to be released and the season pass to go on sale.

Now I'm running through Max Payne 3 again.

I keep losing notifications from this thread. It just doesn't want to track.

I had an itch to play a Dead to Rights titles again, since I liked the original so much. I managed to find a copy of Dead to Rights 2: Hell to Pay, and after much struggling got it to run in 4K. My first play through was in a stretched 16:10 it appeared though, as I had not read WSGF's instructions on how to get it to do 16:9 accurately. Then it would run in 16:9 but not allow key mapping. Key mapping is essential for me because oddly enough, this one does not even have WSAD as default like the original.

Now I finally have it running in 4K, 16:9, AND with key mapping! Only trouble is the difficulty was hard enough on Normal the first play through, so I'll probably just play through on that mode again. The level design isn't as varied as the original, and the voice acting and dialog aren't as good. It also doesn't have the bomb disarming, gym, etc, mini games the first had, which added depth. The hand to hand fighting segments are also way dumbed down and too easy. About all it offers is tough corridor shooter battles and some tough boss fights.

I've since reinstalled Dead to Rights original. No trouble with 4K or key mapping, but so far I can only get it to run in stretched 16:10. I'm going to have to try the DTRPC.exe 3rd party tool on WSGF to fix it.

some random user in some random thread i was browsing had gotten into some conversations about the Knights of The Old Republic games and some updated content and some updated graphical and gameplay MODs that have surfaced since my last playthrough 15 or so years ago.

led me to reinstall and do my own new MOD searches for KoTOR 2: The Sith Lords. of course even with the newest and most sophisticated MODs the graphics aren't very modern. lacking good shadows, shaders, and post processing effects are the most noticeable. but with updated models and textures modded in the gameplay and story is enough to make it still a great playthrough.

it's really killing me now wishing for a KoTOR 3 or just some similar, but modern, RPG in the Star Wars universe. guess i will have to try getting back into The Old Republic MMO soon and see if it's still worth playing.

also, for those interested:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rhLe6XUn8&feature=youtu.be

some random user in some random thread i was browsing had gotten into some conversations about the Knights of The Old Republic games and some updated content and some updated graphical and gameplay MODs that have surfaced since my last playthrough 15 or so years ago.

led me to reinstall and do my own new MOD searches for KoTOR 2: The Sith Lords. of course even with the newest and most sophisticated MODs the graphics aren't very modern. lacking good shadows, shaders, and post processing effects are the most noticeable. but with updated models and textures modded in the gameplay and story is enough to make it still a great playthrough.

it's really killing me now wishing for a KoTOR 3 or just some similar, but modern, RPG in the Star Wars universe. guess i will have to try getting back into The Old Republic MMO soon and see if it's still worth playing.

also, for those interested:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rhLe6XUn8&feature=youtu.be
The only thing on my radar Star Wars wise lately is SW Jedi Fallen Order. It's nice to see them finally paying tribute once again to a proper sp campaign. That said, I've also dabbled into Battlefront II recently, and am now giving it a break, as the dog fight against Hask on the hardest mode is proving to be tedious. The campaign is fun, but too short. The Arcade mode with bots is fun too, but some missions, like those done solo with short time restrictions, are much harder than the others.

I was skeptical about Cyberpunk 2077 at first, but the more I see of it, the more I like it. The models are very realistic, but I have to wonder when they say a "work in progress", whether the final version will be an upgrade, or a downgrade. Seems you never know these days. I don't have time to watch that whole PAX vid now, but will catch up on it later, thanks for sharing.

Lately I'm playing Wolfenstein Youngblood. At first I really hated it because it has a lot of reuse of the same maps, and I was unfamiliar with the upgrade systems. It can be brutally hard in places even on Normal mode your first try if you don't know how to upgrade or what tactics to use. I found out by far my biggest mistake was clinging to stealth too much.

Cloak and sneak kills at first seem useful, but it can limit your progress if you cling to it because you miss out on weapon leveling because of it. Cloak is most useful just for taking out one or two enemies in an area to get to a decent defensible choke point to reek havoc from. Each weapon levels up in damage the more you use it. I was also buying only Stier brand weapon parts. They buff damage but you're better off using just 3 of them to get the brand bonus, then adding other brands that increase things like ammo capacity, fire rate, penetration, etc. There are cases when the fire rate brand, Tempo, is actually more lethal than having even just 3 Steir parts. The most shocking thing was even the Shotgun, which is now call Kugelgewehr instead of Shockhammer, is best fitted with mostly Tempo parts, then one Nadel part, which focuses on accuracy. This is because it raises the DPS so significantly that you can kill more quickly, plus if adds ammo capacity. It also makes it sound like a thundering repeater cannon from hell.

Crush I'm finding is far more useful than cloak. Since there are many places where you'll either run out of cloak, get too close and be spotted, or your sis will be spotted, cloak only gets you so far anyway. Crush on the other hand allows you to sprint into enemies, knock them down, and finish them off while they're stunned. This is very useful when stuck reloading or facing any hard to kill enemy, though you DO need to upgrade Crush to knock down bigger enemies.

The end fight is every bit as hard as many say it is, but now that I know more how to play the game, I'm thinking it should be no more difficult on Hard than Normal if I prepare well, probably easier in fact. The very first level puts you through one of the hardest boss fights at it's end. You go up against a General whom can cloak and is very hard to find, and has a devastating laser attack. It was much easier for me on Hard than Normal just because I knew how to upgrade, what to upgrade, and what tactics to use.

It's been ill received due to crashes, the repetition of several missions having you retrace steps, very tough bullet sponge boss fights, and even silly antics and dialog of the sisters, but they have patched the crash bugs and boss HP, and even though you're still retracing steps, it is totally up to you which missions to take, and there are many good maps and the Underground is varied, moody, and foreboding. Even knowing what weapons to use down there and how to upgrade them is key. It's not your typical straightforward campaign type Wolfensteitn like we've seen, but it's good enough IMO to be must play for any serious Wolfenstein fan.

Plus it released at $40 and is currently $20-$30. As far as length of campaign, many have said it's only 10 hrs or so. I could see that if you only do story missions, but I put in well over 32 hours doing all story and side missions, and maybe 3/4 of the collectibles (mostly collected as I went). I am weapon leveling on this run, but that doesn't really add time. It's just a matter of swapping from one weapon to another to make sure they all get used.

There is also an "End Game" whereby Abby (the IT tech) gives you numerous Daily, Weekly, Replay assignments she rotates through. These activities are also available about 1/4 way into the game to help you keep getting XP to level up your player level.

Last edited:
Since my last post, I had finished God of War on the PS4. That was more than a month ago and currently I haven't thought of what to play next on the console.
God of War was definitely a mesmerizing game. The bond that Kratos shares with his son Atreus, the overall story, the journey you go through was nothing short of amazing. Combat was something I found difficult to adjust to, especially after the hack and slash nature of the first 3. But later on, it pretty much grows on you. You never get tired of the axe throw and how satisfying it feels when it returns back to you on command.
The ending was filled with adrenaline and emotions and was hands down one of the best I've come across in a while. Definitely deserves the GOTY it got.
I found that having an understanding of Kratos and his previous journeys did help to broaden his character for me. After all, the developers never put this as a reboot and they did not run away from what happened in the previous games.

I've been playing AC Odyssey on the PC after GoW. I'm 30+ hours into the game and I like it so far. But after I was done with one of the main quests at level 24, the next one wants me to level upto 31...
I've been grinding for the past few days and I've reached level 28 but I just don't think there's many interesting contracts or quests to take on that will help me level up faster. I never had this problem with Origins but here I am having this issue with Odyssey. Apart from this, it had been quite smooth sailing.