Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I completed Beyond: Two Souls on the PS4. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. All the reviews pointed to it being a mediocre game but I don't know, it hit all the right spots for me. The story originally is presented in a very jumbled way. You may opt to play the chapters in chronological order but I did it in the original manner. There were a couple of chapters which were simply amazing to play through. The characters are sort of a hit or miss. Some you'll really love, others you won't really feel for. Very much a solid game.

I played Titanfall 2 on the PC . I have to say, I was really impressed by the single player campaign. It was very well done. I loved the levels it threw at me and the variation between pilot and titan gameplay was sublime. A very cool game which I'd recommend to anyone. The single player alone is worth it. Do play it at higher difficulties.

I replayed Batman Arkham Asylum on hard mode on the PC as well. Game still holds up really well graphically and gameplay wise.

Currently I'm going through Death Stranding on the PS4, which I finally snagged once the price dropped to my expected levels. This was a game that a lot of people found to be boring but to others, very fun. I would fall under the latter. I'm enjoying it so far. I think I've played it for 6 hours now and making deliveries is fun so far.

I'm also playing through A Plague Tale: Innocence and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut. Both of these games are fantastic. I'm playing the Witcher with a lot of mods to make gameplay less of a problem. I never did play the first Witcher and with the Netflix series being a success I thought why not give it a go. I might finish A plague tale soon, since I'm nearing the end but the Witcher I'm a long way off.

ultradragonx08

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
I like the call of duty series in that Modern Warfare series and the black ops series are pretty good. Other than that games like Battlefield are also pretty good , Titanfall and CSS are other FPS Shooters.

Been playing AC Odyssey for some time now. I beat it on Hard with minimal weapon/armor upgrades and engravings (mostly in prep for Medusa). I'm now playing through on Nightmare and am at level 50 with so far zero weapon/armor upgrades or engravings. I'm not saying it's been easy by any means. The naval battles, even with a fully upgraded ship, require careful planning, and even a bit of luck. The luck part is for instance on any given checkpoint reload after a dreaded Desynchonization of your ship being sunk, an ally ship or two or more may or may not spawn near one or more of the enemy vessels, which helps a lot. One thing I hate is even if you have 2 or 3 ships of a defeat the 4 enemy ships quest completed, then make a manual save at a safe non combat distance, it will bring you back to 0 ships (or one at best 1) defeated.

The main difference with Nightmare is it's pretty imperative to grind excessively and level up a lot. Tomb clearing is also helpful, as it gives you an Ability point. I've been far higher in player level and Ability acquisition this play through when taking on story missions than on Hard. I didn't even meet up with the protagonist's mother until I was at mid 40s level.

I've now beaten all the legendary beasts and one of the Gates of Atlantis bosses, being the Minotaur. Last play through I got nowhere near 100% on location clearing. This time I may make an end game of doing that, or even take it on before the dreaded Medusa, which is easily the toughest boss in the game.

I voiced plenty of distaste for Ubi's choice of disallowing the protagonist to carry a shield in this title, as did many others. I also didn't like the idea of making it a full on RPG with dialog trees. That and the buggy launch were the main reasons I waited so long to get it, as I couldn't see paying anywhere near $60 for it. That said, even though I'm still bugged by having no shield, the RPG/dialog aspect I've gotten used tom, and admittedly, it's fairly well done. The graphics and performance are also pretty good, save for a random crash now and then, mostly during intense naval battles. I'm starting to play it with IntelligentStandbyListCleaner running to see if that helps.

Overall I don't feel Ubi is making good design choices in their games though. They've ruined Ghost Recon with Sci Fi and RPG grinding, and put off Splinter Cell for so long I worry same will happen even with that franchise. I enjoyed Blacklist though, which I feel got a bad rap from fans, so maybe it's overreaction from players that is mostly what's causing Ubi's weird choices.

D

Deleted member 217926

Just finished the main story of Metro Exodus. Loved it and I'm looking forward to the starting the DLC later tonight.

Then I'll play The Outer Worlds finally.

WildCard999

Titan
Overall I don't feel Ubi is making good design choices in their games though. They've ruined Ghost Recon with Sci Fi and RPG grinding, and put off Splinter Cell for so long I worry same will happen even with that franchise. I enjoyed Blacklist though, which I feel got a bad rap from fans, so maybe it's overreaction from players that is mostly what's causing Ubi's weird choices.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has to be one of my favorites and it's been difficult to find another Ubi game that comes close although me and buddy are having fun grinding the Division 1/2.

Went onto Steam the other day to see that some Command & Conquer games/DLC are getting a remake coming out in June which looks interesting.

While I'm not too happy I lost the disk I've been tempted to buy Rise of Nations on Steam as I used to play it a lot and from the looks of it the Steam version has a bit more content. There was also Rise of Legends which was really good as well (again lost the disk...), more syfy and a bit more fast-paced.

Just finished the main story of Metro Exodus. Loved it and I'm looking forward to the starting the DLC later tonight.

Then I'll play The Outer Worlds finally.
Exodus was at first seemingly not up to the usual immersion I got from Metro games, but my 2nd play through on hardest difficulty made me come to appreciate the game. The graphics are quite good even without RT effects, and it certainly has a lot of moments of sheer fear factor, especially navigating the open world, particularly at night. I came away feeling it was one of the best games of the year.

The Outer Worlds on the other hand I did not enjoy, and only played once and uninstalled.

isamuelson

Distinguished
The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition. Have put in over 70+ hours so far and STILL in Act I. The world is massive and fun to explore. The story line is excellent as well. For me, this is the GOAT for RPGs. I've read where some say it's Skyrim with Game of Thrones sauce thrown on it. I'd agree!

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Anyone else gonna pick up Doom Eternal? I got the 2016 one when they had it on sale for (IIRC) $3 and it was freaking great... tons of fun, played through it like three times over the last couple weeks. I'm not really a Doom fan, I'm pretty much indifferent, but the gameplay alone is enough to keep me hooked. It's like Quake meets Dead Space

Anyone else gonna pick up Doom Eternal? I got the 2016 one when they had it on sale for (IIRC) $3 and it was freaking great... tons of fun, played through it like three times over the last couple weeks. I'm not really a Doom fan, I'm pretty much indifferent, but the gameplay alone is enough to keep me hooked. It's like Quake meets Dead Space
Oh definitely, I think after seeing this review I found yesterday, it will be even much better than Doom 2016, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My only hope is it's challenge system is tied to upgrade unlocks like 2016 was, and I hope it's even more fleshed out.

You can see by what's shown here that it has a lot of levels, map and color diversity, and is rich with new enemies and weapons.

I cringe with sadness every time I hear Dead Space mentioned though. Oh the idiocy of EA for canning the franchise.

Last edited:

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?

I will forever play Need For Speed games. They have fallen off quite hard here and there but car modification has always been a hobby of mine so that I find fun. Not trying to replace beer with Monster (google NFS 2015 if you don't get it) I'd rather spend $150k in game cash rather than $5k of my real cash.

Also RDR2, MW, GTA's, Elder Scrolls etc. I don't look for anything new since If I can't play RDR2 I'd rather wait until I have a finished PC build. Once that is "done" GTA 6 then the next Witcher ofc

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Oh definitely, I think after seeing this review I found yesterday, it will be even much better than Doom 2016, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My only hope is it's challenge system is tied to upgrade unlocks like 2016 was, and I hope it's even more fleshed out.

I'm really liking doom eternal so far... It really seems like they listened to fan suggestions from doom 2016 and made changes based on that because the tiny gripes I had with the first one somehow made their way in to doom eternal lol.... (e.g. you start with double jump rather than unlocking it halfway through the game, there's no pistol because it's sort of pointless, etc, etc)

D

Deleted member 217926

I've almost finished Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, I have been playing it for almost a month.
I played the campaign twice and I'm just waiting on DLC to do it again. Probably play with some mods next time too. Mechwarrior 2 came as a showcase game with the first computer I bought back in 1997 and I played all the original games as they were released. It was about time they brought the series back and I feel like they did a great job.

Reactions: Flayed
I'm really liking doom eternal so far... It really seems like they listened to fan suggestions from doom 2016 and made changes based on that because the tiny gripes I had with the first one somehow made their way in to doom eternal lol.... (e.g. you start with double jump rather than unlocking it halfway through the game, there's no pistol because it's sort of pointless, etc, etc)
It's a lot harder to play than Doom 2016 I find. I'm just on Hurt Me Plenty my first run, and some of the tougher battles I've died numerous times and had to keep reloading checkpoints. The pistol was useful for me in Doom 2016, as it greatly helped to save ammo as it could be used to take out lower level enemies. So a pistol would be even more useful here since the ammo is far more scarce than in Doom 2016.

Now granted I'm 62, and don't have the reflexes I used to, but I now understand why even a lot of younger players are put off by the non stop chaotic swarms and need to be moving 90 miles an hour constantly to avoid death. This is the case even while taking on 2 super demons, like the Doom Hunter. Many also feel it doesn't really lend itself well towards traditional Doom gameplay because the severe ammo limitation now makes it play like a strange action shooter/survival horror shooter hybrid.

The norm in the industry when gameplay design becomes more fast paced with more enemies, is to give you more ammo to facilitate it, much like they did with Dead Space 3. This one seems intent on making you retry multiple times until you manage to survive it. The only things that come to mind to try to avoid the deaths is getting the Chrono Strike Rune which allows Slow Mo while aiming mid air. That of course requires you to know the tougher enemy position and where apparatuses are to get some height. Either way you cut it the game takes far more experimentation and retries to get in a groove that works.

I've also noticed that although the game seems fairly well optimized, my character cannot dodge and move in general as quickly as some I've seen in videos. It could be I need to do more thorough FPS benching after having cranked up settings, and I may resort to playing without Vsync on to get the most FPS I can. then again, there might be a Rune I missed that aids movement. I've already got Air Control, which should work well with Chrono Strike, but the only other I recall seeing is one that gives you a speed buff after glory kills, and the faster movement I've seen is in general, not just after glory kills.

That said, despite many complaining about the tons of platforming you have to do, I'm actually rather enjoying it. It's a nice and necessary change of pace from what would otherwise be constant chaos. Sure it can be a bit frustrating at times, but it's usually when I'm not executing well or not seeing the simpler path.

Reactions: JeckeL

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
It's a lot harder to play than Doom 2016 I find. I'm just on Hurt Me Plenty my first run, and some of the tougher battles I've died numerous times and had to keep reloading checkpoints. The pistol was useful for me in Doom 2016, as it greatly helped to save ammo as it could be used to take out lower level enemies. So a pistol would be even more useful here since the ammo is far more scarce than in Doom 2016.

Yea definitely more difficult... I've died quite a bit mainly due to running out of ammo BUT I've only myself to blame because I often find myself wondering why doom guy is pulling out the chainsaw and after a couple seconds realizing it's because all other weapons are empty, and subsequently realizing that I've been sticking to cover, in one half or "quadrant" of the arena, while the rest of the space is full of ammo (as well as armor and other stuff)

I also seem to forego (probably because i'm still in doom 2016 mode) the super punch or whatever it's called, as well as the shoulder mounted flame thing, which seem to have been crow-barred in as necessary utility attacks. Does it feel different than doom 2016? To me yea, in more than a few ways... is that a good thing, sure! If it was doom 2016 version 2 I'd have been upset paying triple-A money for it. So my gripes are irrelevant... i'll adapt, that's what gaming is, adaptation

... i'll adapt, that's what gaming is, adaptation
Well games like this are definitely a work in progress player skill wise. Despite being very arcade in design, there's a lot to know. I'm not sure if you noticed but the chainsaw also always regenerates at least one usage worth of fuel over time, so as long as you don't keep spamming use of it, you should be able to produce ammo when needed. I say this because admittedly, I often I forget to use it. So like you said, only ourselves to blame. I've also found the praetor suit upgrade that makes exploding barrels yield a bit of ammo to be useful to top off ammo a bit.

I just beat Super Gore Nest and it's my first mission I got 100% on everything. That's quite a level, great map design.

I'll end by asking if anyone who's played the game on an Nvidia GPU, especially the 1000 series (I'm on a 1080), if the "Game Ready" 442.74 driver causes a lot of crashing, mainly when the game tries to load a checkpoint? I've also had it crash a few times just mouse clicking to select a weapon in the Arsenal tab.

I read one testimony of someone on a 1080 say reconfiguring ReShade to not work with Vulkan fixed his crashing on 422.74, but the only instance of ReShade I had was in my Mafia 3 directory, and after completely uninstalling Mafia 3, the crashing persisted. For now I've rolled back to 442.59, but have not tested it yet.

I got all the way up to late in Super Gore Nest on the previous driver with no crashing, so I have to assume it's some kind of problem or incompatibility with the game ready driver. I may try installing it again in safe mode though, because like some have said, if you don't, the latest Nvidia drivers take forever to install anymore.

Last edited:
I started Doom Eternal a couple of days ago too. It is definitely much much harder than Doom 2016 and I played that on the Hurt Me Plenty while I'm playing Eternal on Ultra Violence.

Ammo is not in huge numbers and you've got to get used to using the chainsaw often to replenish it. I liked the platforming sections too. It is a much needed change of pace. But boy, when the fights start, they sure can get super chaotic. I've thought a few number of times if I should go down on the difficulty but I ultimately kept going and started learning on how to deal with the demons here.

I did not encounter any crashes so far with the 442.74 drivers but I have an RTX 2000 series GPU.

As for my other games, I have finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut a few days ago. It was a super cool game. I'm very tempted to play the Witcher 2 again with the saves imported this time.

I also finished Halo: Combat Evolved from the Master Chief Collection today. The game with the updated graphics from the Anniversary edition look great but it sometimes took away the atmosphere. Places that were darker in the original are much more brighter here. You can easily switch between the old and new graphics seamlessly with the touch of a button but I kept playing with the newer graphics.

OK, for anyone having crashing in Doom Eternal, or are on the fence about buying it since hearing such testimonials, the fixes that many said worked on the Steam forum, as shown in the below video, worked for me. I'll also add that it is NOT a game that plays well with a browser open. If you try to minimize it then launch Chrome, Chrome will not launch. If you have Chrome running then try to launch the game, the game won't launch. The same thing happened with other browsers.

I played a long session last night for several hours, and no crashes.

Nightdive studios are the ones remaking System Shock as well right? I just hope they finish that one soon. Been waiting on it for quite some time now...
really hoping that this turns out much better than it has appeared so far. i have had access to the demo twice now through Steam and both versions were very low quality graphic-wise. the puzzles were always fun in the original and they may still be but it takes a bit more now to hook most gamers.
I will keep my hopes high that it gets completed and gets the full modern overhaul they had been advertising and showing small bits of.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/description

System Shock 3 also had my hopes up for quite a while but it seems there's been a lot of bad news regarding it's future.

I just tried out Control again since the Foundation DLC is out. DLSS 2.0 is some pure black magic. My frame rates have skyrocketed with ray tracing on high and the picture quality is a lot better too than native resolution. I'm getting steady 60 FPS now where it was hovering between 35-45 FPS before.