Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
just got back to Elden Ring after quite some hiatus.
finally made it into the floating island city so somewhat towards the last bit of the game.

getting into Generation Zero recently.
very cool game design and play. reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games with a bit of modern Fallout-ish gameplay.

such a backlog of games it's starting to get to me.
Hogwarts Legacy, Dying Light 2, AC: Valhalla, Witcher 3(RT remake), Cyberpunk 2077(new content), Star Wars Squadrons, too many to list.
really anticipating getting Atomic Heart.

thinking of taking some time off work to play for a week straight but too much other crap around the house that needs to be done too...

Sounds like alot of fun!

I've been busy playing AC: origins with a trainer & AC: Odessey with a trainer, sure makes the whole gameplay alot more interesting the regarding combat of the game, and less focused on the whole exploration and synchronization parts of these games, also get to experience the whole story in a matter of a few days instead of what time it was meant to be played at, what's it again 100+hours for Odessey, well with the trainer you can get there in twenty, and reach Atlantis in thirty hours, this was huge fun, I even managed to play all four mithical beasts in one sitting. ( not forgetting to mention the epic bounty hunter heat all the way at level five, right through the entire game )

I never got hooked on AC: Valhalla, did not like that stamina limitation, but maybe with a trainer that AC game can also be alot of fun too!
( just imagine double stamina, real life stamina and then doubling it up with in game play stamina too boot, just seems a bit ridiculous to me)

Any way a complete run of Deus Ex human revolution, and easy playthrough of Watch dogs legion later, and now I'm doing GTA V online heists again, the watch dogs game is got to be the best new content I've seen lately, best watch dogs game so far in my opinion, it' plays really good on my pc, just too bad for the long loading at the start of the game every session.
( the whole London town vibe is just awesome and really well done!)

I also wanted to give that Hogwarts game a go, but cancelled my purchase because they failed to have the game ready on launch day, constant updates breaking my download, so I just gave up on trying, and went back to gaming something els.

I also finished RDR2 again, can't seem to make it better than 84.3%.

Still thinking about what to go for next, In the mean time I'll level up and chill some more in GTA V online, and since it's colder now my gpu temp is back in range again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemispheres

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Resident evil 4 remake this days! Looks stunning. Love the resident evil serie and i have waited long for this. Highly recomend it to everyone that like this type of games, it’s not a typical scary horror game. Consider to replay rdr2, also looking for some pc exclusives that i could not play as a long time console gamer, it’s a jungle on steam but not so easy to find something.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
still playing Genshin

this time a coop with a friend from USA server. Previous videos I posted are coop with friends in Asia.

coop with my friend Dawn. I have Nilou and Diona, while he use Ganyu (blue hair girl with horns) and Bennet, His Ganyu is really strong, we took down the boss rather quickly. :)

View: https://youtu.be/zk3R6BgWQ_0

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

I’ve been watching my son play through the new resident evil four remake. They took an absolutely wonderful game and made it even better. In fact, it’s way better. No more stupid tank controls either.

if you loved the original or the remaster, this one’s even better, they’ve added things and they’ve changed how things work. Leon can parry with his knife now then lead in with a spinning kick that kills them. You can alter your gameplay style to maximize and conserve your ammunition because it’s so dear.

I talked my son into buying the bolt thrower and now he thinks it’s the greatest weapon in the game. and it really allows you to be conservative because you can go pick your bolts back up. Don’t be fooled because it’s one of the best weapons just upgrade it completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I played Grim Dawn for about 3 months and got tired of it, its a good game, I just needed a break. There aren't many new games in that genre

So currently inbetween games again, this can last for months...

I picked up Destiny 2 a few weeks ago and been having fun with it.

I'm also a perma-stay with Guild Wars 2, Genshin Impact (waiting on the second run of the nature loli!) and World of Warships. Then bouncing in and out of some other titles.

Regards.

Apr 1, 2023
I am currently playing:-
Mount and Blade : Warband
FTL : Faster than light
Team Fortress 2
Cell to Singularity

and i am looking forward to Minecraft Legends.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
coop session again with a friend from the USA server. :)
I pilot Hu Tao and Qiqi (the two characters on the right during character select), while friend use Althaitam and Kokomi.

Azhdaha is one of the hardest boss in the game. This evil dragon has killed me more times than any other. lol
at 3:04 a rough translation for what Azhdaha says is.. "you may not know it, but you stand on top of your grave".

View: https://youtu.be/rBnbO47Msrw

I played Grim Dawn for about 3 months and got tired of it, its a good game, I just needed a break.
i've always loved most types of isometric action/RPG/dungeon-crawler games but seems i rarely finish any of them.

got about 2/3 through Grim Dawn and really enjoyed it. have always said to myself that i'm going to finish one day but i'll have to start all over now.
latest Divinity games, probably got 1/2 way through each.
same with Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2.
Warhammer: Chaosbane, Diablo 2: Resurrected, Baldur's Gate 3,..too many that i'd take years just to get back into them all again.

actually finished the enhanced Planescape: Torment and went on to finish Tides of Numenara.
the original is still fun and the sequel was pretty cool.

one really awesome iso-style game i played a bit of early access and have been keeping hopes up for a final version: Exanima.

Apr 18, 2023
I have many:
Captive
Elite Dangerous
GTA V
Half-Life 1 & 2
System Shock 2
Vampire: The Masquerade
X-Wing Alliance

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Finally I got lucky and got my hands on that Hogwarts legacy game, this time tough I had it download and install in one go without the constant restarting of the download, anyways running it on my RX Vega 64 based system, left all the setting on default besides ramping up the resolution to 1080p from the default 720p, and low and behold it was running pretty smooth, for a game that takes up to 7GB+ vram most of the time it is rather enjoyable performance, most indoor locations saw me 100+fps and most outdoor locations saw me between 40fps to 90fps.

Besides that, like I mentioned in previous posts, my suspicions where well expected and this turned out to be a magical game, It truly is amazing getting into the actual hogwarts castle and surrounding areas perfectly done and rendered for the first time, then setting of to progress through the game and I had a blast enjoying it thoroughly, I would suggest this game to anyone with a capable pc and some ambition to become a masterful witch or wizard.

Edit: The sorting hat choose me as a Ravenclaw! haha.

Only had the polyjuice plot door issue, and I solved that by going to any random location in the hogwarts castle, making a manual save, exiting the game restarting and loading up again and then progress and progression was to be had again.

Ranrok dragon nearly broken my fingers, but I bested him in one go! (anybody got some spare Wiggenweld Potion?)

Well let's go and find something to get into next. Got the starwars jedi survivor pc game also coming my way and I hope to start that soon.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
yeah, have got a bit into it over the last few weeks and it has been better than i really expected.
i don't tend to enjoy movie-based action games like this but there are a lot of added components, semi-rpg elements, and exploration options that make this game pretty fun.

It sure has, hasn't it! Ever since I saw the preview last year on youtube, witch just happened to be on my too watch list, I kept my self in the dark about all other aspects of this game, I just knew it was going to be great, and it delivered.

The real fun I had is that I played through this game (Hogwarts Legacy) and by use of the broom, I hardly strained my fingers moving about, unlike other games such as red dead 2!

But I suppose It's all got to do with how badly you want to achieve progression and see what happens next, most games that I replay still cause that to me because I like the momentum, a natural dose of adrenalin & accomplishment to witch no drug can be compared too!

And can you believe me I'm playing portal 1 now after that, having a blast, funny that I missed this one when it came out, it never caught my eye, up until now.
I love the people that make great games, and I think they ought to be paid in full, so that they can make more games again, cant wait to see next GTA?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i tried the demo of Pan'orama which is a similar game to Dorfromantik

it seems easier than Dorfromantik, there aren't any railways which makes it much simpler.
tiles react to what are placed around them and grow. Its fun

demo is restrictive so I just wait until actual game released next week

I just started Honkai: Star Rail and I have to say it is a very good game so far. Gacha mechanics and all, it is a very good game at its core, so quite happy with it thus far.

Still with BeatSaber, GuildWars2 and Genshin Impact as my main-stay games.

Regards.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
about to try Star Rail. The game got released about a week ago. It's free to play, so the download is free. At least two friends who have tried it said the game is decent.

on games I've been playing. Have been playing a lot of Granblue Fantasy. It exercise my fingers a lot.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Sounds like alot of fun.

I quit portal 1, I was having a blast, but then I came to a part where I couldn't see where to go from where I was too where I'm supposed to be going, well maybe some other time again, deleted my saves as well, kinda bumped that I did that now I can't just reattempt that again.

Now I'm playing poker with the AI in Red dead Redemption 2 on the pc with my john character, I'm still @ 84.5% completion, doubt I'll make it any more than that, It's rather fun just chilling in the game and focusing on all the activities making money by, at the same time I'm playing some
Hitman world of assassination missions, all whilst I'm making my way towards another Cyberpunk 2077 playthrough completion, I was also back in C&C kane's wrath, where there are lots of comp stomp brutals waiting to be going up against on all the random maps.

Nearly at the parade, then it's on to the final missions at time of writing this.

Then I'll be seeing about what's next favorite game...

Reactions: Tac 25

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
@itrip

that's rough. How many hours of saves did you delete?
indeed, that makes it tough to come back into the game.

Nah' not too rough, probably only a few hours, I was at the part in portal where you had to get some cake or something, anyway I looked online too how many more levels there are going to be and saw that I wasn't going to reach anything substantial, by flailing about without knowing where to go next, by that time I had already started my playthrough of cyberpunk 2077, so I figured not such a big loss having deleted my saves for portal, because by that time I had already gotten well in to the next game.

So If you ask me, I still can't tell if it would be better to leave saves in place to continue another time by the point when a game becomes tedious, or to delete meaning less progress because something ells has become more enjoyable, You have to keep in mind that if you do keep your progress for later play that you can't just start anew without having the thought of previous attempt lingering, also lingering thoughts of other games's progress hinders in enjoyment of current game too be played, but might also be a matter of perspective.

Have to end my cyberpunk 2077 favorite game at the moment playthrough, I think you take away some of the magic of the game setting if you don't end V's story and just overextend your stay in night city by doing all the side missions and such, Had another lucky night in RDR 2 vs the cpu with some more poker, cleaned out the entire table full of ai's in Saint Denis, at this point I have cleaned out Tumbelweed, Blackwater and Saint Denis, all on different days of course, in the poker mini game, but I've also had a unlucky day so far where the cpu in blackwater bested me by taking $70.00 of the table there, well I just loaded my save and then nothing besides some ego was lost.

Happily Gaming along, I hope everybody else is also having fun, with whatever your playing, I'll be looking to read what other players are up to and what is their favorite at the time, and what stands out from those plays.

Last edited:
I still can't tell if it would be better to leave saves in place to continue another time by the point when a game becomes tedious, or to delete meaning less progress because something ells has become more enjoyable
of course it depends on the game and the player.

i still have save data from ~10 years ago and more for certain games that i still load up every so often and jump back in.

for a big single player game like Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, etc i would usually just start over completely with each play because there is a larger gap in time between my playthroughs and i would like to experience and finish the complete story each time.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
of course it depends on the game and the player.

i still have save data from ~10 years ago and more for certain games that i still load up every so often and jump back in.

for a big single player game like Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, etc i would usually just start over completely with each play because there is a larger gap in time between my playthroughs and i would like to experience and finish the complete story each time.
Wow you actually have saves from more than ten years ago, I never managed that, somehow somewhere I have always lost my saves due to hasty actions taken to escape from something much worse than loosing game progress: eg: (hardware change-upgrade, viruses, broken OS, driver problems or self caused reset of play progress)

Up until now I also thought that a complete story experience was the best play of many games that are currently popular.

And when it comes to multiplayer games such as C&C countless profiles lost and started a new, somewhere along the gaming I even restarted GTA V online, just to see the very beginning again just for the fun of it, seeing all the cutscenes again witch are only shown at the very first time you unlock something or buy new business.

Maybe I should change things up again to get some of the content I usually miss, Just the other day again I formatted my pc and forgot to copy the my documents folder along, good thing for most of the steam games, they come right into sync again! But the other not so well thought out bout how saves are managed I have obviously lost again as to be expected.

But that in itself might just awaken one's desire to replay such a game where you have lost saves and gameplay can only be enjoyed if the game is started anew!

Who else thinks that keeping a self achieved gameplay progress's save of any particular game, can bee seen like having a trophy?

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I typically keep save files until the time the game itself is uninstalled or the pc breaks down. Preserving high scores in various fighting games, and also being able to revisit certain story parts in rpg type games is important to me.

still playing Genshin Impact.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBlRB7r8VXs

got invited by my friend lizette to fight this new boss. Totally have no idea how to fight it.. so just brought my shielder Layla, and fox girl Yae. I thought that since this looks like a plant monster, then electricity will hurt it (lol).

Went with the plan of use shield, then switch to Yae put fox spirits, and switch back to Layla again. The fight is three parts. First is Warden of the Last Oasis, which is easy. After defeating the warden. Heart of Oasis will appear, it does not attack but there is a monster army that needs to be defeated. Defeating the small monsters leads to a battle with Warden of Oasis Prime.. most dangerous form of this boss. It can release a shock wave that deals massive damage if not blocked with a shield. Even the normal attacks of this boss hurt hard.

Reactions: iTRiP
Maybe I should change things up again to get some of the content I usually miss, Just the other day again I formatted my pc and forgot to copy the my documents folder along
i've always just kept a compressed copy of the individual game save folders, wherever they may have been originally located, on an external backup drive along with an image of my main OS drive.
usually only have ever played a few games at a time so it's relatively easy to keep updating the save backups.
i've also always had my games installed on separate drive so OS reinstallation has never been an issue.
usually kept a backup of the registry in case i needed to fix any problem that arose with games or other software in that regard.

cloud saves have become a godsend in some situations.
it used to be a bit more of a hassle keeping a lot of game data backed up and stored.

Reactions: Tac 25 and iTRiP