Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
https://communities.glu.com/racing-rivals/discussion/5445113/goodbye-racing-rivals

I really dont play mobile games anymore. I dont see any games that allow you to bet pink slips.

That game was unique, but the new developers made a big update that made us start fresh. Wiped all cash and cars and removed the main event in the game. Lol, thats how to run a game into the ground.

Also, i would like games like csr, but i refuse to play a game that has gas. You play the game for 10 minutes and its like "pay for more gas to keep playing."

I have no specific genre I prefer 1000%. I like FPS, RTS, Platform, Strategy, MMO, MOBA etc. Well I guess you could say I don't do many visual novels, none actually. Closest I got to that would be Myst I guess.

I enjoy most anything from Valve, love TES and have a few favorites, mostly older games TBH like pre EA Command and Conquer.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Yes. After watching markipliers videos on the game i had to get it.

Unfortunately at the time my laptop couldnt run it. I tried a month ago to play it on that laptop and it got 20 or so fps at sub 480p with lowest settings.

I have played through it many times since i got a pc that could play it.

I'm currently playing TIMESHIFT now ! This FPS is way too much immersive (at least for my taste), and the player can STOP, SLOW or REVERSE the gameplay time ! It's pretty fun to play such an old shooter.

Gone are the days, when we used to buy a CD-ROM to play Games. Now, everything is digital, plagued with GaaS, micro-transactions, LOOT boxes, and downgraded content.

This is NOT my gameplay video, but at least it will give anyone who watches, a glimpse of what type of game this really is.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMEompigeU

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexer
To be fair DLC in and of itself is not new. We just used to buy it as "expansion packs".I like to think most DLC now, in most not all, cases is ideas the developer came up with during development or were not able to fit into the original game. I see no issue with that.

I only hate Fremium games on PC. Like Fortnite. People could lump TF2 into that but TF2 was originally a purchase game and nothing you pay for can give you an advantage over a skilled player. Plus you could be lucky and just get a lot of that stuff as random drops.

But this is the world we live in. The normal peasants who would otherwise have never touched a gaming PC are all about it thanks to Fortnite and now we have them pushing the original gamers around.

Jeez OP, with so much interest in games, and so many great games listed, I'd have never figured you to be an admitted casual, though the honesty is refreshing to see quite frankly.

I'm a bit of an odd man out when it comes to gamer types. I started at it late in life about 18 years ago, and am now 61. I first got into playing mp demos of games like MoH Allied Assault and Spearhead. Then I progressed to getting a lot of buy 2, get one free used PC games like Deus Ex, RTCW, as well as of course Allied Assault, Spearhead, and others. I really miss the days where used PC games were plentiful.

I dabbled into some of the better horde type games like Painkiller and it's expansions, and Serious Sam, but outgrew the mindless AI. I mostly played FPS games back then, but eventually grew to like a lot of the better TPS and a handful of RPGs. My only pet peeve about some TPS is the shot angles can sometimes be restricted, and the character movement is sometimes too slow and loopy for even things like turning around. The latter is something GTA is getting worse at lately, you feel geriatric.

Some of my fave FPS are HL2, Medal of Honor series, CoD MW, Battlefield series campaigns, Crysis series, Doom 2016, Far Cry series, Wolfenstein series (RTCW and beyond), Titanfall 2, Call of Juarez series, Bioshock Infinite, Syndicate 2012, etc.

Some of my fave RPGs are Assassins Creed series, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect series, Fallout 4, Deus Ex, etc.

The only puzzle games I enjoy are Portal 1 and 2.

Some of my fave TPS games are Kane & Lynch 2, Spec Ops The Line, GTA IV & V, Max Payne series (mostly 3), Watch Dogs series, Red Faction Guerrilla, Quantum Break, Just Cause series, Gears of War series, etc. Both Kane & Lynch 2 and Spec Ops The Line are incredible and very challenging on the hardest mode.

Some lump horror games into TPS, but I like to keep them their own genre. My faves in that genre are Dead Space series, The Evil Within 1, RE4 & 2 Remake & RE7, Alien Isolation, F.E.A.R. series, Alan Wake (but not American Nightmare), Doom 3, Dying Light & The Following, STALKER & expansions, Dead Island series, etc.

I also really enjoy the tactical shooter genre, but since I limit my gaming to offline only anymore, it's a small list of the likes of Ghost Recon series and Sniper Elite series. GR Wildlands far and above stands out as my fave tactical shooter.

My fave stealth games are Hitman Absolution, MGSV, Splinter Cell series, Batman series, Riddick Butcher Bay, The Saboteur, etc.

Beat em up/Action Adventure games I like are Tomb Raider series, Mad Max, Sleeping Dogs, Remember Me, Godfather series, Mafia series, Shadow of Mordor/War, etc.

There's also a weird FP/TP and at times Hack and Slash genre you have to put some games into, like Star Wars Jedi Outlast, Jedi Academy, and Battlefront II 2005 and 2017, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Lastly, I also enjoy good racing games. Some of my faves are Need for Speed series, GRID series, DiRT series, Project CARS, Burnout Paradise, Shift series, Split/Second, Driver San Francisco, etc.

I can relate to what you're saying about the digital download and micro trans trend. That and lack of polish in games lately are annoying. I also don't like this move to online only games with tiered loot, and am appalled that Ubi are destroying the core pillars of Ghost Recon by making Breakpoint with a fictionalized setting and The Division type gameplay. They've now promised to bring back squad AI, but there's a petition with over 1800 signatures to also bring back offline campaign mode.

I really get into games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Evil Within 1, and made video tutorials of each on how to beat them on Extreme and Akumu with no skill upgrades. So I find it pretty disturbing to see things like drone armies, fake settings, gimmicky online play, and in TEW 2, dumb monsters that no longer hear you running, and a cover system with auto takedowns.

BTW, if you enjoy games that have time manipulation, you may also want to try Quantum Break, Max Payne 3, Dishonored, Syndicate 2012, Dead to Rights, and Singularity.

Last edited:
To be fair DLC in and of itself is not new. We just used to buy it as "expansion packs".I like to think most DLC now, in most not all, cases is ideas the developer came up with during development or were not able to fit into the original game. I see no issue with that.

I only hate Fremium games on PC. Like Fortnite. People could lump TF2 into that but TF2 was originally a purchase game and nothing you pay for can give you an advantage over a skilled player. Plus you could be lucky and just get a lot of that stuff as random drops.

But this is the world we live in. The normal peasants who would otherwise have never touched a gaming PC are all about it thanks to Fortnite and now we have them pushing the original gamers around.

Yeah, I agree. Even I don't have any problem with DLCs, but these loot boxes, micro-transactions are ruining the gaming industry, IMO. Also, thanks to recent Battle Royale/BR craze, a lot of peeps have already jumped on this bandwagon (even those who have never played a game on PC, lol).

Jeez OP, with so much interest in games, and so many great games listed, I'd have never figured you to be an admitted casual, though the honesty is refreshing to see quite frankly.

I'm a bit of an odd man out when it comes to gamer types. I started at it late in life about 18 years ago, and am now 61. I first got into playing mp demos of games like MoH Allied Assault and Spearhead. Then I progressed to getting a lot of buy 2, get one free used PC games like Deus Ex, RTCW, as well as of course Allied Assault, Spearhead, and others. I really miss the days where used PC games were plentiful.

I dabbled into some of the better horde type games like Painkiller and it's expansions, and Serious Sam, but outgrew the mindless AI. I mostly played FPS games back then, but eventually grew to like a lot of the better TPS and a handful of RPGs. My only pet peeve about some TPS is the shot angles can sometimes be restricted, and the character movement is sometimes too slow and loopy for even things like turning around. The latter is something GTA is getting worse at lately, you feel geriatric.

<snip>

I really get into games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Evil Within 1, and made video tutorials of each on how to beat them on Extreme and Akumu with no skill upgrades. So I find it pretty disturbing to see things like drone armies, fake settings, gimmicky online play, and in TEW 2, dumb monsters that no longer hear you running, and a cover system with auto takedowns.

BTW, if you enjoy games that have time manipulation, you may also want to try Quantum Break, Max Payne 3, Dishonored, Syndicate 2012, Dead to Rights, and Singularity.

That's an excellent post ! Glad to hear about your gaming taste. You really seem to be an hardcore Gamer, and you can easily cater to different gaming genres as well.

By the way, yes I've played Quantum Break (didn't beat the full game though), as well as SINGULARITY.....I love this first-person shooter. Can we manipulate the time in "Dishonored" as well ?

Cheers !

Reactions: Phaaze88
That's an excellent post ! Glad to hear about your gaming taste. You really seem to be an hardcore Gamer, and you can easily cater to different gaming genres as well.

By the way, yes I've played Quantum Break (didn't beat the full game though), as well as SINGULARITY.....I love this first-person shooter. Can we manipulate the time in "Dishonored" as well ?
It may seem like a comprehensive list as forum posts go, but I always think of myself as being genre picky. I also have this nagging feeling like I've forgotten some good ones.

As far as hardcore goes, I only do really well at games I really like and some take lots of study on how to master. Like beating Ghost Recon Wildlands on Extreme with no skill upgrades was a 3 month project. Of course much of that time was uploading the files to YouTube on my slow 5MB up speed, but a lot of it was trying several scenarios as it was a best tactics guide.

The Evil Within is a much shorter game, so took just a month or so, but it also often took several tries to find best tactics. Tribes Vengeance was a game that was very hard for me. I beat it on lowest difficulty, but the next difficulty up I ended up stopping on one mission that was overwhelming.

In Dishonored 1 & 2 there's powers called Bend Time and Stop Time, where everything slows down or stops for 12 seconds. You can even kill enemies in interesting ways when using these powers. If you like this kind of gameplay, another interesting game should be Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, which is being made by Respawn, and due out Nov 15.

Skip to 17:07, 19:40, 20:45, 23:14, 24:15, and 26:10 (best) to see use of Force Stasis.

Last edited:
In Dishonored 1 & 2 there's powers called Bend Time and Stop Time, where everything slows down or stops for 12 seconds. You can even kill enemies in interesting ways when using these powers. If you like this kind of gameplay, another interesting game should be Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, which is being made by Respawn, and due out Nov 15.

Skip to 17:07, 19:40, 20:45, 23:14, 24:15, and 26:10 (best) to see use of Force Stasis.

Thanks for the info on Dishonored. I will see if I can get this game or not. Sounds interesting though.

Yes, I know about Jedi Fallen Order. I've watched that Video before, and the gameplay seems very interesting. I'm waiting for this SINGLE player story mode Star Wars game. There won't be any MP option in this game though, if I'm not mistaken ?

WildCard999

Titan
Nothing older nor newer has been able to replace Star Wars: Jedi Academy for me. It's one of the few games that I loved both the single player and multiplayer, had mods & a ton of replay value. I had it on the original Xbox and now have it in my Steam library. Part of me wishes they would do a remake but more then likely they'd change the gameplay too much and mess it up.

If Fallen Order is open world or similar to Kotor then I'm in.

Speaking of single player I still need to finish Spider Man & Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS4. There both amazing games, just haven't had the time lately and then when I take a break it's for too long and then I feel like I need to restart to enjoy the story. Same thing happens in Witcher series.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the info on Dishonored. I will see if I can get this game or not. Sounds interesting though.

Yes, I know about Jedi Fallen Order. I've watched that Video before, and the gameplay seems very interesting. I'm waiting for this SINGLE player story mode Star Wars game. There won't be any MP option in this game though, if I'm not mistaken ?
I wouldn't be so sure. With the crap the triple AAAyyy industry has been pulling, expect some form of predatory monetization to be in the game somewhere.
And nothing speaks profit to them more than mass multiplayer, that's why there's been so many of them lately.

I'm waiting for this SINGLE player story mode Star Wars game. There won't be any MP option in this game though, if I'm not mistaken ?
That's correct, SW Jedi Fallen Order is focused on sp only, which is one of the main reasons I'm interested in it. As far as I know, you have to go way back to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for Star Wars titles that have generous sp campaigns.

All the titles since then up until Fallen Order have been mostly mp focused. Sure there's a sort of "campaign" in some of the Battlefront games, but they're generally pretty short.

There's other modes you can access offline against AI, but it's mp designed with team vs team, and your friendly AI always react to your performance and start losing ground if you get killed. Plus one annoying thing I've always hated about Star Wars mp play is enemies tend to do this twitchy dance back and forth to dodge your fire.
Nothing older nor newer has been able to replace Star Wars: Jedi Academy for me. It's one of the few games that I loved both the single player and multiplayer, had mods & a ton of replay value. I had it on the original Xbox and now have it in my Steam library. Part of me wishes they would do a remake but more then likely they'd change the gameplay too much and mess it up.

If Fallen Order is open world or similar to Kotor then I'm in.

Speaking of single player I still need to finish Spider Man & Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS4. There both amazing games, just haven't had the time lately and then when I take a break it's for too long and then I feel like I need to restart to enjoy the story. Same thing happens in Witcher series.
Yeah I played the heck out of the Jedi Outcast campaign. The graphics were pretty good for it's time, especially for a made from a movie theme game. The gameplay was solid too and had a good variety of shooting and light saber. One cool thing I recall was in the rain if you had your light saber out you could see the rain drops sparking on it as they fell. That's nothing with today's graphics, but 17 years ago it was a big deal.

As for Spider-Man, I'm kinda bummed it's not available on PC. I tried a SM game ages ago and it was hard to play on PC. The controls felt difficult to coordinate. I don't know, maybe that's why they don't make them for PC anymore, but I seem to recall some saying this new one is the most intuitive one yet as far as controls.

I'm hoping Sony will eventually allow it to be ported to PC, but usually they cling to their stronger exclusive titles for dear life.

Last edited:
As far as I know, you have to go way back to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for sp focused Star Wars titles.

Yes exactly. I love play SINGLE player story campaign mode Games though. I've played both Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Those were good titles at that time. I'm not a huge STAR WARS fan, but SW: Jedi Fallen Order seems to have potential.

I just hope the DEVs don't make any last moment changes to this franchise, by introducing MP, or a battle royale mode, with micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Though, I think SW Jedi Fallen Order will focus only on the SINGLE player story mode..fingers crossed

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999
Just started playing this FPS: PARIAH. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pariah_(video_game)

This is NOT my gameplay video, but at least it will give anyone who watches, a glimpse of what type of game this really is. Awesome graphics given how old this game is. This is my 5'th Playthrough of this game.......No kidding.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WNW4gL1DQI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogQ4_w_46d0

Pariah_%28video_game_box_art%29.jpg

What retro games are yall into?

I occasionally play some Doom1, Ultima 6, lemmings, Jill of the Jungle, and some older arcade games.

I find the idea of handheld DOS computers pretty amazing, so I typically run these games using DSX86 on my modded DSI XL. DSX86 does a great job of SoundBlaster emulation and the touchscreen also can be used for dos games.

Tyrian 2000 doesnt run on the DSI either as it doesnt like 4.77mhz none too well, however, I love using DOSBox for that game.

WildCard999

Titan
What retro games are yall into?
My sister got an original bar top version of Krazy Kong that I play when I stop by her house. My dad bought it back in 1989 for $200, gave it to her a couple of years ago and it still works beautifully. I wanted to post a pic of what it looks like but I can't even find anything online that's even close, may be rarer then I thought.

Here's what the gameplay looks like.
KsB3tcL.png

Friend of mine got me a 3DS awhile ago that I put Pokemon Yellow & Silver on that I play every rare once in awhile when I'm bored and out of the house.

My sister got an original bar top version of Krazy Kong that I play when I stop by her house. My dad bought it back in 1989 for $200, gave it to her a couple of years ago and it still works beautifully. I wanted to post a pic of what it looks like but I can't even find anything online that's even close, may be rarer then I thought.

Friend of mine got me a 3DS awhile ago that I put Pokemon Yellow & Silver on that I play every rare once in a while when I'm bored and out of the house.
I was going to buy an original NES+Controllers+Games for $50 at antique shop but it was in rough shape.

I did buy this Chinese handheld emulator for $10 awhile back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-P...526.m4383.l4275.c10&var=551755485169#viTabs_0
Its got a small LCD screen, speaker, and rechargeable battery. Plays a ton of emulated games ALL of questionable legality.
Plugged into my TV and me and others had fun getting competitive with Sonic and PacMan.

WildCard999

Titan
I was going to buy an original NES+Controllers+Games for $50 at antique shop but it was in rough shape.

I did buy this Chinese handheld emulator for $10 awhile back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-P...526.m4383.l4275.c10&var=551755485169#viTabs_0
Its got a small LCD screen, speaker, and rechargeable battery. Plays a ton of emulated games ALL of questionable legality.
Plugged into my TV and me and others had fun getting competitive with Sonic and PacMan.
That's cheap, would definitely be something I'd be interested in getting if I had the time.

Yeah that was one of the games I got used back when it was easy to find good deals on used PC games. I didn't care for the shooting mechanics or graphics, but it did have some challenging segments.

The games I've probably played the most times are RTCW, Far Cry 1, RE4, Doom 3, Batman Arkham City, The Evil Within 1, and Ghost Recon Wildlands. What makes a game have great replay for me other than interesting gameplay, is great variety in level design and enemies, and difficulty modes that add more or new enemies as you advance to harder ones. The Evil Within 1 even adds more traps and makes wall mine traps harder to disarm with MUCH slimmer disarm zones. Enemies are also faster.

@ remixislandmusic,

As far as retro games, I just started playing Dead to Rights II: Hell to Pay. I was hoping for that feeling I got from the original Dead to Rights, but this one falls way short in variety of level design, dialog, and voice acting. It's very plane Jane by comparison. It is rather challenging though, especially in boss fights, so Normal mode is proving to be difficult in places. I'm now at the penultimate rooftop battle against the main villain in his attack heli and troops he keeps dropping off, and am finding acquiring adequate ammo and cover is very hard.

One cool thing about DtR is you play as a K9 unit cop, and have a Malamute/Wolf attack dog named Shadow as a partner. In DtR II though he isn't utilized nearly as well. All he can do is attack and bring back weapons. His stamina also cools down way too fast so can be spammed a lot in places. In DtR 1 he'd also sniff for bombs that you'd disarm.

The adrenaline rush is making me want to go back and play the original again. I managed to get DtR II to play on W10 in 4K DSR, but despite editing the cfg file to 16:9, 3840x2160, it plays in what looks to be a stretched 16:10 (default is 4:3). I'm wondering if the only way to play it in true 16:9 is via the One X Enhanced edition. If anyone knows how to get a true 16:9 on W10 PC, please let me know.

The games I've probably played the most times are RTCW, Far Cry 1, RE4, Doom 3, Batman Arkham City, The Evil Within 1, and Ghost Recon Wildlands. What makes a game have great replay for me other than interesting gameplay, is great variety in level design and enemies, and difficulty modes that add more or new enemies as you advance to harder ones. The Evil Within 1 even adds more traps and makes wall mine traps harder to disarm with MUCH slimmer disarm zones. Enemies are also faster.

DOOM 3, RTCW and FC1 are my all time favorite. I don't like EVIL within though. The shoulder camera is very weird for my taste, and the game is also TOUGH to beat, imo.

Did you ever complete GR: Wildlands ? Lot of missions to accomplish in this game, and the game level areas/maps are HUGE ! I like the atmosphere and setting of this Game. Single player mode is pretty lengthy though.

D

Deleted member 14196

Evil Within is so creepy, I enjoyed watching my son play through it. he loved the first game that dude did too.

I guess he and I love Action RPGs most though. I just love GTA 5 and Red Dead 2 online, it's like crack hunting/fishing/killing dudes/doing missions/etc..

every day I grind for that damned black arabian stallion, lol