Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
Once they fixed the launch problems of TEW, it was a lot more playable IMO. I also employed the commands to enable high frame rate, override DPI scaling, and disable the heavy glare filter, which also adds a lot of blur and washes out color. The result is the game plays smoother and looks way better.

Horror games are often 3rd person and narrow FOV, so they usually tend to have some level of awkwardness, which adds to the suspense. If you compare the way Dead Space 1 and The Evil Within 1 play on PC, especially after the TEW patch, TEW wins on polish hands down. It's largely due to Dead Space 1 never having gotten proper coding for mouse. This is why it's very hard to aim and even turn around, because it's schemed for game pad toggles which have a dead zone. Thus any aiming at middle of screen is sluggish (deadzone) while any aiming at edge of screen is too squirrelly by comparison. I had to actually edit the game's file to drastically increase the max mouse sensitivity to facilitate quick turns to speed up the evading of monsters.

Yes, TEW 1 is hard to learn how to play, but once you do it's very rewarding. Monsters can hear you sprinting, so you need to stop sprinting once you turn a corner out of view, then choose a place to hide. You can also use this to manipulate how far an enemy will run to to search for you, then sneak kill as he turns around (start of Chapter 3 in guide). Also, sneak kills need to be done from directly behind, but there are also many one hit kill weapons (hatches, torches). Having one of those in hand is a good idea (also shown in Chapter 3). In some places you can just toss a bottle and sneak past. Using matches is essential, but being careful how to approach prone enemies is key too. Sometimes they'll swat at you or swing a melee weapon while prone, so it's best to approach from their head if face up, and from the feet if face down.

Another trick is with the invisible monsters you have to deal with, just retreat through a door and let them bash it a few times, then kick it open to knock them on the ground, which turns them visible to shoot. Door kicks can also be used to amass enemies for multiple match kills, or a one hit kill on tough enemies like Fake Ruviks. Most invisible enemies can be ran past though, even with no sprint duration upgrade. You can also benefit greatly by collecting the little statues, which have keys in them that open the morgue lockers in the hospital you save game progress at, which contain ammo, health syringes, and gel for upgrades. One thing that helps tons in TEW though is collecting scrap from traps for making Agony Crossbow bolts. On Akumu mode though I reserve the wall mine traps for blowing up monsters, as they are very hard to disarm.

As for Ghost Recon Wildlands, I definitely beat the whole campaign, including on the highest Tier level 1, which can only be done via Mission Replay once you reach Tier 1. I even got to know how to play it well enough to beat it on Extreme with no Skill upgrades, which is actually more realistic because there are no magical skills to resist bullet damage, buff your squad health/skills, etc.

As I said before I made video tutorials of both TEW 1 and GRW to show how to beat them on Extreme and Akumu with no upgrades, and also no DLC weapons, as well as no locker keys in TEW. Ghost Recon Wildlands is also played with no HUD to eliminate the many visual aids.

If you have time, check them out. They are intended as guides for those whom have beaten both campaigns on hardest/next to hardest mode and are looking for something more. They are what I found to be best tactics guides when you have limited resources and skills on higher/highest difficulty, but also can serve as a tactics eye opener for those whom felt these games were too hard to play in general. In the GRW guide I averaged less than 10 min per mission, and that's starting and ending at a safehouse. Most any sp game has ways of being beat, some that few take time to look for.

The Evil Within Akumu No Upgrades/Keys/DLC Walkthrough
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/the-evil-within-akumu-no-upgrades-keys-dlc-walkthrough.3347171/

Ghost Recon Wildlands on Extreme with No HUD or Upgrades
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...s-on-extreme-with-no-hud-or-upgrades.3390319/

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I have been trying to recreate most of the cool cars from GTA3 into BeamNG, so far have the Infernus and the SA styled lowrider done.

My Automation game is borked and no matter how many times I reinstall it errors out unless I go into safe mode with no mode, which makes it harder to design cars with half of the fixtures available. I talked to the lead dev and he said: "I have never seen that error before and am looking into it."

Once they fixed the launch problems of TEW, it was a lot more playable IMO. I also employed the commands to enable high frame rate, override DPI scaling, and disable the heavy glare filter, which also adds a lot of blur and washes out color. The result is the game plays smoother and looks way better.

Horror games are often 3rd person and narrow FOV, so they usually tend to have some level of awkwardness, which adds to the suspense. If you compare the way Dead Space 1 and The Evil Within 1 play on PC, especially after the TEW patch, TEW wins on polish hands down. It's largely due to Dead Space 1 never having gotten proper coding for mouse. This is why it's very hard to aim and even turn around, because it's schemed for game pad toggles which have a dead zone. Thus any aiming at middle of screen is sluggish (deadzone) while any aiming at edge of screen is too squirrelly by comparison. I had to actually edit the game's file to drastically increase the max mouse sensitivity to facilitate quick turns to speed up the evading of monsters.

Yes, TEW 1 is hard to learn how to play, but once you do it's very rewarding. Monsters can hear you sprinting, so you need to stop sprinting once you turn a corner out of view, then choose a place to hide. You can also use this to manipulate how far an enemy will run to to search for you, then sneak kill as he turns around (start of Chapter 3 in guide). Also, sneak kills need to be done from directly behind, but there are also many one hit kill weapons (hatches, torches). Having one of those in hand is a good idea (also shown in Chapter 3). In some places you can just toss a bottle and sneak past. Using matches is essential, but being careful how to approach prone enemies is key too. Sometimes they'll swat at you or swing a melee weapon while prone, so it's best to approach from their head if face up, and from the feet if face down.

Another trick is with the invisible monsters you have to deal with, just retreat through a door and let them bash it a few times, then kick it open to knock them on the ground, which turns them visible to shoot. Door kicks can also be used to amass enemies for multiple match kills, or a one hit kill on tough enemies like Fake Ruviks. Most invisible enemies can be ran past though, even with no sprint duration upgrade. You can also benefit greatly by collecting the little statues, which have keys in them that open the morgue lockers in the hospital you save game progress at, which contain ammo, health syringes, and gel for upgrades. One thing that helps tons in TEW though is collecting scrap from traps for making Agony Crossbow bolts. On Akumu mode though I reserve the wall mine traps for blowing up monsters, as they are very hard to disarm.

As for Ghost Recon Wildlands, I definitely beat the whole campaign, including on the highest Tier level 1, which can only be done via Mission Replay once you reach Tier 1. I even got to know how to play it well enough to beat it on Extreme with no Skill upgrades, which is actually more realistic because there are no magical skills to resist bullet damage, buff your squad health/skills, etc.

As I said before I made video tutorials of both TEW 1 and GRW to show how to beat them on Extreme and Akumu with no upgrades, and also no DLC weapons, as well as no locker keys in TEW. Ghost Recon Wildlands is also played with no HUD to eliminate the many visual aids.

If you have time, check them out. They are intended as guides for those whom have beaten both campaign on hardest mode and are looking for something more. They are what I found to be best tactics guides when you have limited resources and skills on higher/highest difficulty, but also can serve as a tactics eye opener for those whom felt these games were too hard to play in general. In the GRW guide I averaged less than 10 min per mission, and that's starting and ending at a safehouse. Most any sp game has ways of being beat, some that few take time to look for.

The Evil Within Akumu No Upgrades/Keys/DLC Walkthrough
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/the-evil-within-akumu-no-upgrades-keys-dlc-walkthrough.3347171/

Ghost Recon Wildlands on Extreme with No HUD or Upgrades
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...s-on-extreme-with-no-hud-or-upgrades.3390319/

Thanks for this info. That was a nice lengthy read. Thanks for the videos as well ! That's an awesome walkthrough guide. Going through it now. I need to complete GR: Wildlands, since I left it in the middle, and kind of got lost. I will also give TEW a try as well. I don't have this game though, so I need to buy it on STEAM.

After watching some of the Videos, I will see if this game really suits my taste or not. You are a talented Gamer for sure ! :)

Thanks for this info. That was a nice lengthy read. Thanks for the videos as well ! That's an awesome walkthrough guide. Going through it now. I need to complete GR: Wildlands, since I left it in the middle, and kind of got lost. I will also give TEW a try as well. I don't have this game though, so I need to buy it on STEAM.

After watching some of the Videos, I will see if this game really suits my taste or not. You are a talented Gamer for sure ! :)
Thanks, but that's really a result of time spent observing through many play throughs to figure out tactics more than skill. At my age I don't have the reflexes and eyesight anymore to play online. Admittedly though there are places in both guides where speed, timing, and precision are key.

Don't forget most any game you buy on Steam you can return for full refund within 2 hours of play if it's not to your liking. Chapter 2 of TEW gives you a good feel of what stealth is like, and Chapter 3 is the first that puts you through a fairly good challenge, so within 2 hours you should know.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if GTA3 works on windows 10 with a modern PC? I dont want to sink $10 in a game if it wont work.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Pentium III® 450 MHz CPU
    • Memory: 96 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 16 MB Direct 3D Video Card
    • DirectX Version: Microsoft DirectX® 8.1
    • Hard Drive: 500 MB uncompressed free hard disk space
    • Sound Card:Fully DirectX compatible Sound Card
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: 700 MHz CPU
    • Memory: 128 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 32 MB Direct3D Video Card

D

Deleted member 14196

it should for crying out loud. is it from Steam or GoG? if it is, it will, if it's disc, maybe not, but seriously, why, when GTA 5 rules and Red Dead 2 is out?

Steam. I wasn't wandering about minimum requirements just more about compatibility with modern GPUs.

I have had issues getting NFS 2 SE running on modern hardware due to it requiring the Glide API for hardware acceleration. I guess since it says direct 3d it should work.

D

Deleted member 14196

you can always make a vm with vmplayer for free and use it.. lol

I don't even have any xp vms anymore, all gone, not supporting that... lol, I don't test on Win7 anymore either, 10 and up only. alll old OSs can die, and I pray they do quickly. too much nonsense. i can only understand it in manufacturing and machining, they need old os or their 500K CNC milling machine is dead... lol

I believe the banshee from GTA3 is based on a viper actually.

hqdefault.jpg

viper_214.ashx

WildCard999

Titan
Steam. I wasn't wandering about minimum requirements just more about compatibility with modern GPUs.

I have had issues getting NFS 2 SE running on modern hardware due to it requiring the Glide API for hardware acceleration. I guess since it says direct 3d it should work.
Steam has a 2 hour return period so unless your internet is painfully slow you should be able to try it out.

I've refunded a few that had graphical errors or were just terrible lol. Depending on how you pay though it may take some time, quickest way though is to have them refund your Steam wallet.
It loaded, but the menus didnt load right. Once if managed to get in the game it ran well, untill i tried any mission. It would get stuck on the loading screen. I let it sit for a longish time and still nothing.

submitted a request for refund. Playtime was around 1 hour. I went ahead and bought Doom3

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
It loaded, but the menus didnt load right. Once if managed to get in the game it ran well, untill i tried any mission. It would get stuck on the loading screen. I let it sit for a longish time and still nothing.

submitted a request for refund. I think i was 20 min out of 2hrs. I had only played the game for a few min tho.
That sucks, I saw some threads if you google GTA3 Win10 fix but couldn't check them out as I'm on a work system.