Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
I didn't know Sports Games also have a Story Mode !
Well it's like a career mode but it has some personal touches to it. One of them you jump over a helicopter and I think some guy takes credit for the stunt and you have to eventually prove it was you. It's been like 20 years since I played it so I don't remember it exactly but I know I put a lot of time into that game.

Can anyone play the entire DARK SOULS series easily ? If yes, then how do you manage to beat the Game ?

This game features "Insane" difficulty level, and I can't beat such type of games. ALSO, most importantly, how do we proceed to the next Level, or area ?

There is no waypoint, or any objective marker either. Heck, there is no objective to begin with, lol.

What kind of game is DARK SOULS ? I don't understand such type of games, but there are gamers who are die-hard fans of this series.

Even after watching some Gameplay videos, I was not able to proceed to the next level in Dark Souls 3. Very confusing and tough game.

Hi all, posting after a long time since I was absent from here. Anyways, you can share your own Gaming thoughts under this Topic if you wish.

Btw, is Resident Evil Village worth playing ? STEAM reviews are ''Overwhelmingly Positive'', so I assume the game is pretty good (but I don't base my decision on reviews alone). I'm NOT an RE fan or gamer though. I tried playing RE7 last year,, but got bored after first few levels.

Is RE: Village different or much better than previous titles in the whole RE franchise ? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1196590/Resident_Evil_Village/

Hi all, posting after a long time since I was absent from here. Anyways, you can share your own Gaming thoughts under this Topic if you wish.

Btw, is Resident Evil Village worth playing ? STEAM reviews are ''Overwhelmingly Positive'', so I assume the game is pretty good (but I don't base my decision on reviews alone). I'm NOT an RE fan or gamer though. I tried playing RE7 last year,, but got bored after first few levels.

Is RE: Village different or much better than previous titles in the whole RE franchise ? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1196590/Resident_Evil_Village/
I like that RE8 is bringing back elements of RE4, like scavenging and trading of valuables, a trader to deal with, and it even added hunting animals to upgrade health. It looks like it's going to have gameplay more similar to RE7 though, so I'm not sure you'll like it MM if you thought that game was boring. My main problem with 7 was the non human monster enemies were way too easy to run past and keep from following you, as you could just close doors behind you, which they couldn't open. I've also heard in reviews of RE8 that bosses are a bit weak, and some main characters a bit repetitious and predictable. So I'm not even sure it will pack as much excitement as RE7 boss and main character wise, because that game definitely had a few tough boss fights, and the main characters were trick y to avoid.

At the end of the day though, it's hard to base opinions on those of others. You really don't know how a game is going to play and feel until you try it.

Anyway, back to the specific thread topic. A game that has really taken me by surprise lately is Ghostrunner. Perhaps what's most interesting and unique about it is the genre itself is described in a variety of ways, Action, Hardcore First Person Platformer Slasher, Cyberpunk, etc. It's really all of the above, but Hardcore First Person Platformer Slasher, probably describes it best. The description Action is apropos as well though, as the "Hardcore" part means since any one shot or fall can kill you, you have to keep moving and dodging. Cyberpunk fits as well, because you play a Cyborg Ninja in a very futuristic world.

What is crazy about this game for me is despite having died literally hundreds of times already in just less than halfway through my first run, it's still addicting to play. You can also enable a feature that makes you respawn instantly at the last checkpoint, like I am on this first run where I'm learning and experimenting. It definitely takes the drudgery out of the load screens many games put you through when you die.

The gameplay is very cool. You have Sensory Boost, which allows you to go into slow mo while in air and dodge attacks, or buff a jump. You have tons of panels you can wall run on, ramps you can crouch slide on, and a grapple you can attach to certain points. There are also places where you can choose various routes to attack a variety of ways, or even bypass certain groups of enemies. As well, you have various skills you pick up that you have to very selectively choose and puzzle fit into your inventory.

These tools include things like highlighting enemies to make them more visible, being able to deflect projectiles back at enemies with your sword, as well as ones that boost aiming time, slow mo effects, and ones that aid your Tempest and Blink skills, which are sort of Force Push and rush attack skills. With Tempest you can even push projectiles back at enemies though, including flying drones that fire heavier ones.

I just finished the first boss fight against a giant rotating cylinder with laser beams coming out of it, which is a security device called The Gatekeeper to keep you from accessing an elevator that takes you to Dharma City. It also pulses out rings of fire that spread across the floor and up the walls. You have to use grapple points to precisely time jumps through the lasers, then wall run and Sensory Boost dodge the fire rings on wall panels to get up high enough to cut the huge electrical cables that support it.

I've played through the next level at Dharma City as well, but not captured it yet, which I plan to do soon. It introduces the aforementioned flying drones, moveable wall panels you puzzle your way though, a rail system you can jump to that zips you along like the ones in Bioshock Infinite, and jump boosters placed at certain points that allow you to do super jumps. There are places where you can jump on top of drones facing the other way, and ride on top of them. It's a short level, but one that offers many ways to play it, and keeps you guessing.

The game is very exhilarating to play, but it can also be very frustrating if you're not up for a hardcore challenge. Even some of the platforming can take many attempts to master how to do it. Done the way Polish developers "One More Level" does Ghostrunner though, the FPP Slasher genre is becoming one of my favorites, and it's the first time I recall even playing such a genre.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
At the end of the day though, it's hard to base opinions on those of others. You really don't know how a game is going to play and feel until you try it.

Yeah indeed man. That's always the case when it comes to gaming. Pretty good explanation from your side on RE though. That was helpful.

Btw, I know about GhostRunner. That's a pretty good first-person slasher, but it contains too many platforming elements , which is not my cup of tea. I watched few Videos before as well, but it didn't suit my taste, but it really got a lot of originality than other games which have ben releasing lately.

I was watching some of your playthrough Videos as well. To be honest, I'm not too much comfortable with platforming gameplay elements. I mean, since it is a slasher, there aren't any weapons as well, and on top of that the game's Devs have included a bit TOO much of platforming elements, IMO.

But still, the platforming mechanics make up basically the entire game, and First-person platformers are actually a very rare genre, so this game deserves some attention. From your description it also appears that the game can be a bit tough to beat, and frustrating at times.

I had the same gripe with DOOM ETERNAL as well, since ID also included it in the game, though this game didn't have too many of these "platforming" elements and was fun to play. I would have tried GHOSTRUNNER as well, had the player been given some weapons/guns as well, apart from SWORDS that is, lol.

But anyway, I haven't played Doom Eternal's DLCs yet, "The Ancient Gods", both part 1 and 2. Need to download both of them on STEAM. Since these are "standalone" titles/DLCs, so I can skip downloading the main base game as well. Cheers!

Yeah indeed man. That's always the case when it comes to gaming. Pretty good explanation from your side on RE though. That was helpful.

Btw, I know about GhostRunner. That's a pretty good first-person slasher, but it contains too many platforming elements , which is not my cup of tea. I watched few Videos before as well, but it didn't suit my taste, but it really got a lot of originality than other games which have ben releasing lately.

I was watching some of your playthrough Videos as well. To be honest, I'm not too much comfortable with platforming gameplay elements. I mean, since it is a slasher, there aren't any weapons as well, and on top of that the game's Devs have included a bit TOO much of platforming elements, IMO.

But still, the platforming mechanics make up basically the entire game, and First-person platformers are actually a very rare genre, so this game deserves some attention. From your description it also appears that the game can be a bit tough to beat, and frustrating at times.

I had the same gripe with DOOM ETERNAL as well, since ID also included it in the game, though this game didn't have too many of these "platforming" elements and was fun to play. I would have tried GHOSTRUNNER as well, had the player been given some weapons/guns as well, apart from SWORDS that is, lol.

But anyway, I haven't played Doom Eternal's DLCs yet, "The Ancient Gods", both part 1 and 2. Need to download both of them on STEAM. Since these are "standalone" titles/DLCs, so I can skip downloading the main base game as well. Cheers!
Well, to be honest, the way Ghostrunner is designed, your skills are every bit as much weapons as the sword, and even more useful at times. It's one of those games that gets easier the more you know how to play it, but still very hardcore of course. I also feel guns would not even help given the game design. You are far better off with a weapon that can quickly deflect projectiles back at enemies, or a skill that allows you to dodge them. Just the time it would take to switch weapons, aim, and reload, could easily get you killed.

Knowledge is key with the platforming as well, maybe even more so there. For instance just knowing that using the slow mo function of Sensory Boost at the max height of your jumps off wall run panels can help you maintain a higher overall height, is huge. It makes segments where wall run panels seem too high, become very doable. I probably could have avoided dozens of deaths just on that revelation alone, completing a certain segment I was having trouble with in likely just a few tries instead.

The same was true of Doom Eternals' platforming for me, albeit to a lesser extent, as it's easier to begin with in that game. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have an "Ultra Nightmare" mode in Ghostrunner, where you have to play the whole game with no deaths. Seems near impossible to me. Then again, most levels are relatively short, and I HAVE seen a lot of no death level speedruns posted by experts. I wouldn't doubt it takes hundreds of tries on some levels though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Frag Maniac , yes I totally agree with you. Btw, has anyone played DAYS GONE PC game yet ? On some other gaming news, Battlefield 2021/Battlefield 6 full reveal Trailer has been leaked. They are creating way too much hype now though.

Feels like the same copy/paste gameplay formula of BF, imo. Watching this clip gives me a severe headache though.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield6/comments/nlp54w/battlefield_6_reveal_trailer/

LOL, I knew I forgot something. I've not only been playing it pretty much exclusively lately, I'm so engrossed with it that I forgot I hadn't posted about it here. The devs say this game is kinda like Sons of Anarchy meets The Walking Dead. It is very good though. There's lots of action, lots of random occurrences that keep you on your toes or exploring, yet lots of story moments. It's all put together very well and it is relatively bug free except for a few very minor things.

Last edited:
LOL, I knew I forgot something. I've not only been playing it pretty much exclusively lately, I'm so engrossed with it that I forgot I hadn't posted about it here. The devs say this game is kinda like Sons of Anarchy meets The Walking Dead. It is very good though. There's lots of action, lots of random occurrences that keep you on your toes or exploring, yet lots of story moments. It's all put together very well and it is relatively bug free except for a few very minor things.

I haven't bought this game yet though. I need to first complete my old backlog of PC games on my Library, and there are a lot of titles pending, lol.

By the way, yes I heard DAYS GONE is an addictive game. Will try it some day. I also heard the PC performance of this game is good, even better than Horizon: ZERO Dawn, when this game was released back in August 2020.

Cheers!

I haven't bought this game yet though. I need to first complete my old backlog of PC games on my Library, and there are a lot of titles pending, lol.

By the way, yes I heard DAYS GONE is an addictive game. Will try it some day. I also heard the PC performance of this game is good, even better than Horizon: ZERO Dawn, when this game was released back in August 2020.

Cheers!
Yes, performance is good. It does have slight amounts of microstutter here and there, but it had such problems on PS too, and they weren't patched out until the 1.05 patch. PC may get a performance patch too, but I'm actually finding since I turned Vsync off and updated to the latest Nvidia driver, it seems to be running a bit better. I actually have more of a problem with look and aim sensitivity though, which seems to suffer a bit from port from console syndrome when playing with a mouse. Just turning around quickly can feel very sticky at times, and optics when zoomed in, are very slow to pan. These are really my only two nit picks.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/nf0u9p/days_gone_pc_bug_reporting/

I just found out patch 1.02 fixes this mouse problem, and I have not played with it yet. I'll report back my findings.

That driver supposedly only adds new graphics features to the graphics menu though, so the better performance is likely more due to higher framerates with Vsync off. Oddly enough, the only change I noticed in the graphics menu is the HDR features aren't greyed out anymore, despite my still using the same non HDR capable display. I was initially getting slight screen tear, mostly in cutscenes, which is why I turned on Vsync, but I don't see any now, so THAT could be the new driver.

I have finished the story now, and am mopping up the last of the missions I didn't complete. You're almost better off not getting all the missions done by the end of the campaign though, because after the main story ends, they add dozens of Kill the Horde missions, and they're now marked on the map. They do it cleverly though by showing you three areas marked in red that you have to search to see where the horde actually is.

The hordes tend to hibernate or feed, and when transitioning from one to another there will be hundreds of them slowly roaming in a massive pack. The game builds towards the horde element and also many new types of enemies and "Freaks" (zombies) by introducing them slowly throughout the game and also better weapons to deal with them.

There's a few key hordes in the game that are featured in missions where you have to kill them all in order to access things you need. The largest one took me a while to take down, but the really nice thing is, if you are clever at evading them, and the big horde areas give you plenty of ways to do that, you can run back to your bike (best parked out of sight), then save game. So I basically did that horde in two parts with a save after taking out roughly half of them (there's a horde count graph that shows onscreen).

The hordes are brilliantly done, as are the environments you fight them in. There are many types of environment devices that can be used to kill many of them at once, and also many types of choke points to lure them into where you can make stuff fall, doors close, etc, to keep them off your back. Part of the pack are always scripted to split off and flank though, so they don't all just follow behind you. So it's essential to prioritize Stamina when you access NERO injectors that can buff Health, Stamina, or Focus (brief slow mo aim), because you WILL have to run a lot with big hordes.

It's not just the hordes that are done well though, the randomness of roaming animals, human enemies, and hostages that need rescuing are very well done too, and the latter allows you to send them to the camp of your choice after freeing them, which offers various trust and credit rewards shown onscreen. You must free them before their captors kill them though, so stealth or surprise attacks are wise. There are also various types of ambush encounters you will no doubt get surprise attacked by several times throughout the game.

The story keeps you in suspense, and I even encountered the last NERO mission after finishing the story, which has the best reveal about the infection by far. I tend to never rate a game 10/10, but let's just say this one easily gets a 9/10 from me, if not 9.5.

Last edited:
BTW, forgot to say shortly after patch 1.02 came out that fixes mouse problems and stutter, they also released a 1.03 patch that improves stability.

They don't say what they mean by stability improvements, but on my previous playthrough, a few cutscenes froze, and I had to Ctl+Alt+Del, then go back in game via clicking on the minimized game icon, then click on the screen with the mouse to unfreeze it. This play through so far it hasn't done that at all.

I am now playing on max settings as before, but with Vsync off, am averaging 80-90 FPS at 1080p. So I went back to 1440p DSR where I was averaging 55 FPS before with Vsync on, and am now staying at 60 FPS with Vsync on at times 65 or more, and no micro stutter. So it looks like the patching fixed things completely.

BTW, forgot to say shortly after patch 1.02 came out that fixes mouse problems and stutter, they also released a 1.03 patch that improves stability.

They don't say what they mean by stability improvements, but on my previous playthrough, a few cutscenes froze, and I had to Ctl+Alt+Del, then go back in game via clicking on the minimized game icon, then click on the screen with the mouse to unfreeze it. This play through so far it hasn't done that at all.

I am now playing on max settings as before, but with Vsync off, am averaging 80-90 FPS at 1080p. So I went back to 1440p DSR where I was averaging 55 FPS before with Vsync on, and am now staying at 60 FPS with Vsync on at times 65 or more, and no micro stutter. So it looks like the patching fixed things completely.

Yup, they released a Patch few days ago, and it addresses its mouse movement and dead zone issues. As such, the PC version should now control better with the mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure if this patch also fixed any stutters/instability issues though, but this game is a solid PC port. And the STORY is also pretty good as compared to other open-world games.

Btw, what do you think about this author's review of this game ? Especially the PROS and CONS listed in the end. The game can get a bit "repetitive" though. Some say that upgrading your motorbike can get a bit frustrating, IMO.

https://www.dsogaming.com/special/reviews/days-gone-pc-review-tormented-yet-triumphant/

Yup, they released a Patch few days ago, and it addresses its mouse movement and dead zone issues. As such, the PC version should now control better with the mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure if this patch also fixed any stutters/instability issues though, but this game is a solid PC port. And the STORY is also pretty good as compared to other open-world games.

Btw, what do you think about this author's review of this game ? Especially the PROS and CONS listed in the end. The game can get a bit "repetitive" though. Some say that upgrading your motorbike can get a bit frustrating, IMO.

https://www.dsogaming.com/special/reviews/days-gone-pc-review-tormented-yet-triumphant/
I can totally agree with that reviewer's Pros, but none of the Cons. It's kind of ironic that I first noticed a well thought out comparison to other games, which were good examples, but he apparently wants it to be too much like GTA. He needs to get that this is a survival horror type game, and guess what, since you can escape, kill, and save game with your bike, it's a big part of that survival, so refueling it should be as well.

I can also tell he probably didn't play it long enough, or take notice while doing so, that fuel cans and gas stations are not only plentiful, they're placed in the middle of routes you often travel. IMO they make it pretty easy to just ride your bike up to a gas pump and fill your tank WHILE sitting on it. You only need look closely as to what pumps have an out of order sign on them. Tow trucks also almost always have gas cans on the back, and they are typically located at NERO checkpoints at tunnel entrances.

It's rare that I have to walk my bike or leave it in an exhaustive search for fuel cans or gas stations, in fact it only happened once or twice on first play through when I was getting to know the game, and I blamed it on myself for being too engrossed in the game to check the fuel level. I honestly just don't think games with survival or crafting elements are his thing, he clearly has zero patience for the player mechanics involved in such titles.

I also don't feel there's anything wrong with the bike upgrade system, or the need to become hunter/gatherer/bounty hunter to get enough trust level at camps to buy weapons, or supplies. And same goes for the skill system. The problem with these kind of opinions as I see it, is these people want to have their cake and eat it too. By that I mean they want visual, aural, and story immersion, but they want no part of what it feels like to actually BE in that situation. I wish they'd just admit they are half hearted, lazy gamers with no patience or appreciation for true immersion.

As far as the patching goes, like I said, don't forget they just came out with 1.03 too, to fix stability issues, and from what I've seen it does.

To update on my current play through, I decided to start a fresh game on Hard II. New Game + on that mode just felt too easy. Every time I turned the power back on in a NERO checkpoint, I really missed that reward of finding another injector to upgrade you Stamina, Health, or Focus. Starting fresh on Hard II so far I've found wolves to be the most deadly. They take several pistol shots or 2 or 3 Drifter crossbow shots to kill, and by then they've lunged at you due to little stamina at game start. I've also died a couple times from them sneaking up on me while I was battling a hostile camp. I grabbed a double barrel shotgun I found though, which will be my wolf killer until I can buy a decent primary weapon.

I really think too many people put too much stock in what review sites say about games. Clearly they are preying on and getting most of their hit points from what most would call casual gamers. I really think casual is a misnomer though. A lot of games, like this one, just take time to get to know and progress through. Once you do, you're basically a killing machine. So it's not that the game is so hardcore, or the player casual, but that the learning curve need be respected.

Last edited:
I really think too many people put too much stock in what review sites say about games. Clearly they are preying on and getting most of their hit points from what most would call casual gamers. I really think casual is a misnomer though. A lot of games, like this one, just take time to get to know and progress through. Once you do, you're basically a killing machine. So it's not that the game is so hardcore, or the player casual, but that the learning curve need be respected.

I totally agree with you on this. To be honest, I DON'T base my purchasing decision just by reading reviews. nope. Despite that, if I like any Game, after watching some YT videos, then I go for it. Basically, I just skim through any game reviews, because I know, every reviewer/gamer has his/her own Knack for games, and so the reviews can also be BIASED as well, imo.

I can also agree with some rest of your points as well. BTW, the above DSOG reviewer, has played around 48+ hours.

Playtime: 48+ hours total. Nick spent about 45 hours finishing the story campaign. Another 10 hours will be likely needed to reach 100% completion. Then there’s an extra ‘Challenge’ mode to fool about with for maybe 5 hours. Nick might consider doing a high-difficulty New Game Plus playthrough down the road.

I totally agree with you on this. To be honest, I DON'T base my purchasing decision just by reading reviews. nope. Despite that, if I like any Game, after watching some YT videos, then I go for it. Basically, I just skim through any game reviews, because I know, every reviewer/gamer has his/her own Knack for games, and so the reviews can also be BIASED as well, imo.

I can also agree with some rest of your points as well. BTW, the above DSOG reviewer, has played around 48+ hours.

Playtime: 48+ hours total. Nick spent about 45 hours finishing the story campaign. Another 10 hours will be likely needed to reach 100% completion. Then there’s an extra ‘Challenge’ mode to fool about with for maybe 5 hours. Nick might consider doing a high-difficulty New Game Plus playthrough down the road.
Well, like I said, I was mainly questioning how much time he's spent playing other survival horror type games, and I'm not sure he even realizes this one basically fits into that genre. If he has spent much time on them, he sure hasn't learned that most of them have you going through scavenging, repairing and refueling vehicles. Mad Max is an excellent example of that. I also feel the interactive scavenging icons cycle through pretty quickly, and the ones that don't, like prying open car hoods/trunks and doors with the knife, often play into that feel of can I get to it before I'm spotted by a freak. I think they carefully weighed such decisions and wisely decided a little tedium often adds to the trepidation, the payoff being immersion.

I get that it's common now that many players are impatient about such things, after all, it's a pretty fast paced world now where anything you want to know is literally seconds away at your fingertips, but as a reviewer, one should have more patience and appreciation for such things that add to reality and immersion, especially if they are commonly used in such genres.

As far as New Game+ goes, I've decided I'm only going to use it for Survival difficulty mode, because Survival+ NG+ mode is said to add considerably more challenge. I never read anything about it being a restart the game if you die situation, or fewer checkpoints or lack of manual save options either, so it could be just my cup of tea. I often like to replay checkpoints if I get caught in a cable stretched across the road, get my bike shot out from me, or play a segment horribly, but lately I only reload the checkpoint on ambush cables and snipe shots if my bile condition is all the way down to 0%, which it often isn't I find if you have at least a level 2 or more frame upgrade on your bike.

Last night I was replaying the checkpoint just after taking out the guy and his gang who killed the man and woman with a crowbar. Before taking the "Iron Tooth" crowbar back to Tuck, I found the scenario afterward can play out various ways. The reinforcements that come in either come by bike, or on foot, and often times one or 2 enemies respawn in the camp you just cleared as well. I was having difficulty trying to take them all out with stealth, so once after the checkpoint loaded I went back through the camp gate, grabbed the fuel can that was there, and went into the little concrete building nearby. I then tossed the fuel can just outside the entrance of the door, and took cover with my pistol ready. They came in on foot that time, and as soon as one of them peeked in the door, I shot the fuel can. Despite a couple enemies respawning in the camp, I only needed take out about 3 more enemies from cover inside that building, as the gas can blast took out 3.

There's just so many scenarios you get from checkpoints and even overt combat options with solid strategy can leave you fully protected. For this reason, each play through feels unique if you just experiment a bit. That said, I DO get a bit upset when I reload a checkpoint after an ambush cable or snipe shot, only to find they don't spawn in again, but this is also partly why I only reload the checkpoint in such situations if my bike is 0% condition. This play through I've not only not had to reload nearly as many of them in such situations (because I quickly went for that frame upgrade), when I do, they usually respawn.

BTW, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but any time you see enemy bikes, they can be sabotaged as long as they are anywhere above 0% condition. This yields a fair amount of scrap. Like that reviewer said, you need scavenge scrap quite often, especially if you use the crossbow early in the game like many of us do, but there are TONS of easy ways to get scrap too, and I'm not sure he's aware of all of them.

Last edited:

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
My original love were the Thief games. Stealth has always been appealing to me, however no other games captured me quiet like the Thief games.

Nowadays, it's amazingly crafted single player games like A Plague Tale: Innocence, survival / crafting games like Rust, and I would say horror survival games like Dead By Daylight, but there really isn't anything like that game on the market yet. So as far as that genre goes, just that game.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Do you also like the entire SPLINTER CELL franchise as well ? I'm not much into stealth, but I kind of liked SC: CONVICTION to some extent.

When the first one came out it was interesting to me, but the series as a whole didn't capture me like the Thief games did. The story line, voice acting, cut scenes, atmosphere... it was all perfect. Then Thief Deadly Shadows came along and killed the franchise. Awful console port, piss poor performance, loading screens every 10 feet, weird gameplay mechanics, etc.

On topic of DOOM Eternal, recently ID Software announced that is currently working on a single-player horde mode for Doom Eternal. As Executive Producer Marty Stratton said, the team will re-focus and will be no longer working on the game’s promised Invasion Mode. Instead, it will be now focusing on the single-player horde mode and on BATTLEMODE.

Though, I'm still not sure what this single-player Horde mode brings to the table. I'm guessing it's just a random enemy encounter with a timer to complete some challenges as well, same as Master Levels IMO. Waves of enemies will swarm around the player, and the SLAYER needs to beat them just like in Death matches.

Stratton believes that this horde mode will offer players more of the diversity and challenge they are looking for in the game. BATTLEMODE will also receive a more competitive, rank-based structure. It will also get a number of gameplay and balance updates, as well as another new map. id Software will share more details about the next major patch for Doom Eternal at QuakeCon 2021 in August.

A few days ago, id Software released Update 6 for Doom Eternal. This patch added the promised Ray Tracing Reflections and support for NVIDIA’s DLSS tech. though, I don't an RTX GPU, lol.

Doom-Eternal-single-player-horde-mode.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but any time you see enemy bikes, they can be sabotaged as long as they are anywhere above 0% condition. This yields a fair amount of scrap. Like that reviewer said, you need scavenge scrap quite often, especially if you use the crossbow early in the game like many of us do, but there are TONS of easy ways to get scrap too, and I'm not sure he's aware of all of them.

Btw, I just bought this game on STEAM today. I'm gonna start playing slowly, keeping all the tips which you shared regarding the gameplay elements. It seems I need to collect a lot of scraps since the beginning, lol. But anyways, I like this game. Btw, a new Patch is just now out and live on STEAM.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1259420/view/2992061494172014096

Btw, I just bought this game on STEAM today. I'm gonna start playing slowly, keeping all the tips which you shared regarding the gameplay elements. It seems I need to collect a lot of scraps since the beginning, lol. But anyways, I like this game. Btw, a new Patch is just now out and live on STEAM.
Yeah it's a quite engrossing game. I took time off from my 3 video walkthroughs of GRID 2019, Monster Energy Supercross 3, and Ghostrunner to get in a play through on Hard II while we were going through a heat wave here, and I'm enjoying it so much I decided to do a play through on Survival II.

I've also read on one site there is a Survival + mode via using any Survival mode game completion save. It is said to be the hardest difficulty level, making the game hard to even complete. I've seen no videos on YouTube of people playing on Survival + though, so I'm not sure it's a thing or not, but I plan to try it if so.

Last edited:
I think some important update has been posted for RE:VILLAGE. Removes stutters, adds AMD FSR tech support, and reduces DENUVO's anti-tamper impact on the game's performance. To be honest, the game used to give stutters on my system, whenever the enemy was close to the player, and is on the verge of attacking/biting the player.

The developers have not removed DENUVO though, but they also haven't provided any information as to how this new PATCH/update fixes and optimizes the anti-tamper. Gotta check the game now, after applying this patch. But first I'm interested in trying the AMD's upscaling tech feature, which is FSR.

View: https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1417288163610005506

PS: I'm actually lost in the game. Can't figure out what to do next, since I'm not much into puzzles as well, LOL. But still trying to complete the game based on some walkthrough videos. :p

DEAD SPACE 1 "remake" is in the works. Might launch soon. The first DEAD SPACE game was really awesome ! Creepy atmosphere, great voice acting, and a thrilling environment. It was a fun horror game. It took me some time to get used to the game's mouse/camera control, and movement though.

Does anyone like the DEAD SPACE franchise here ??

EA has announced that a complete rebuild of Dead Space is in the works. The project was announced at the recent EA Play Live livestream event. An announcement tweet reads: “Survive the spine-chilling horrors of the USG Ishiura in #DeadSpace – A classic rebuilt by @MotiveStudio”.

View: https://twitter.com/EA/status/1418268376447787011

https://news.ea.com/press-releases/...-Fi-Classic-Survival-Horror-Game/default.aspx

From the sounds of it, the project is a complete remake of the original built from the ground up. The trailer says that the game is being built in DICE’s own Frostbite Engine. That’s the engine that’s also being used for Battlefield 2042, so it’s bound to look amazing.

A press release also suggests that the story and characters might be altered slightly to bring the game up to modern standards. It reads: “Fans will experience an improved story, characters, gameplay mechanics and more as they fight to survive a living nightmare aboard the desolate mining starship, the USG Ishimura, all while uncovering the dreadful mystery of what happened to the slaughtered crew and ship.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5WeBNfX-og&t=1s&ab_channel=DeadSpace