Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
You had me thinking at first it might be worth it just for the new DLC, but I generally don't get excited about mere skins. So the visual upgrade would have to be REALLY good for me to be interested, and even then, probably not worthwhile until I upgrade to an RTX GPU. That will likely be quite some time, as I hadn't planned on a major upgrade until a 4K display makes sense, which would be when 4K TV broadcasts are a reality. IF 4K broadcasts ever do happen since chip shortages, COVID, and the invasion of Ukraine turned the world upside down. It's a sad day when otherwise potentially exciting news becomes a downer because of such things. :(

Actually, truth be told, even I'm not bothered about this next-gen upgrade. The vanilla Witcher 3 still looks awesome, along with graphics Mods. This new so-called next-gen update might be good for newcomers who haven't tried playing this game yet.

And yes, honestly I also don't think this next-gen update will pack some serious visual overhaul, which might force old die-hard fans of this franchise to give it a try. Sure, the game will be slightly better optimized and polished this time (assuming the devs have put a lot of effort), but apart from this, I don't see any incentive to get too excited about this next-gen update.

Actually, truth be told, even I'm not bothered about this next-gen upgrade. The vanilla Witcher 3 still looks awesome, along with graphics Mods. This new so-called next-gen update might be good for newcomers who haven't tried playing this game yet.

And yes, honestly I also don't think this next-gen update will pack some serious visual overhaul, which might force old die-hard fans of this franchise to give it a try. Sure, the game will be slightly better optimized and polished this time (assuming the devs have put a lot of effort), but apart from this, I don't see any incentive to get too excited about this next-gen update.
Yeah, the bottom line for me is when they call them "next gen" upgrades, it usually means you can only see a difference when comparing the older gen console versions to the newer gen. It might only have just Ray Tracing reflections added to the PC version, with no texture upgrades.

Yeah, the bottom line for me is when they call them "next gen" upgrades, it usually means you can only see a difference when comparing the older gen console versions to the newer gen. It might only have just Ray Tracing reflections added to the PC version, with no texture upgrades.

Yes indeed. The devs/publishers are just creating hype by releasing these so-called "remakes", remasters, or next-gen upgrades. It's just a re-skin of previous games, sort of, and they don't do a complete overhaul of the graphics/textures, and other game assets, which use the same Game engine as before

Speaking of remakes, I think MAFIA 1 Definitive Edition remake is really worth playing ? The visual overhaul is indeed visible, imo. You played this game though ? I have never played any Mafia games before, though I have tried playing first 2 levels of Mafia 3 on my friend's PC, and it was a stuttering mess, totally unoptimized as well. I got bored, because the missions were repetitive.

Yes indeed. The devs/publishers are just creating hype by releasing these so-called "remakes", remasters, or next-gen upgrades. It's just a re-skin of previous games, sort of, and they don't do a complete overhaul of the graphics/textures, and other game assets, which use the same Game engine as before

Speaking of remakes, I think MAFIA 1 Definitive Edition remake is really worth playing ? The visual overhaul is indeed visible, imo. You played this game though ? I have never played any Mafia games before, though I have tried playing first 2 levels of Mafia 3 on my friend's PC, and it was a stuttering mess, totally unoptimized as well. I got bored, because the missions were repetitive.
Yes, I've played Mafia 1 Definitive Edition, and it looks great and is very well optimized. However I didn't like it as much as the original because on the hardest mode it's too easy to play. The irony here is the original was so annoying in some ways from feel of the shooting, to the movement, to the ability of enemies to kill you very quickly from a distance. I many times had fits over how long some sections would take on the hardest mode, but it was also very rewarding when you beat it.

Yes, I've played Mafia 1 Definitive Edition, and it looks great and is very well optimized. However I didn't like it as much as the original because on the hardest mode it's too easy to play. The irony here is the original was so annoying in some ways from feel of the shooting, to the movement, to the ability of enemies to kill you very quickly from a distance. I many times had fits over how long some sections would take on the hardest mode, but it was also very rewarding when you beat it.

You mean to say, the original game had a tougher difficulty level than the new remake ?

You mean to say, the original game had a tougher difficulty level than the new remake ?
It's more that the hardest mode in the remake is easier than the hardest mode in the original. The original doesn't have an extra hard mode added though, they both have the same amount of difficulty modes.

There were times in the original where you truly felt panicked that you would either die or run out of ammo, especially a certain scene at a trainyard. Enemies could easily kill you from far away, and it was tough to get into position to snipe them without getting killed. I never felt that kind of immersion in the remake.

There's also a race you have to do that is extremely hard on the hardest mode, but that part is pretty difficult even in the remake. Neither game is too hard on lower difficulty modes though, so don't let it keep you from playing it.

It's more that the hardest mode in the remake is easier than the hardest mode in the original. The original doesn't have an extra hard mode added though, they both have the same amount of difficulty modes.

There were times in the original where you truly felt panicked that you would either die or run out of ammo, especially a certain scene at a trainyard. Enemies could easily kill you from far away, and it was tough to get into position to snipe them without getting killed. I never felt that kind of immersion in the remake.

There's also a race you have to do that is extremely hard on the hardest mode, but that part is pretty difficult even in the remake. Neither game is too hard on lower difficulty modes though, so don't let it keep you from playing it.

Okay, thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind. I'm still kind of stuck in dilemma whether to go for the original or this Remake.

Barring you should want to eventually play it on the hardest mode, I would say you might like the remake more.

Okay thanks. I don't usually play games on the Hardest mode mostly though, but I think it would be much better for me to get the Remake nonetheless. After all there are some graphical improvements as well.

But like you have mentioned that hardest mode in the remake is also a bit easier than the hardest mode in the original/vanilla, so I might go for this difficulty level once I grab the Remake.

I have never played any MAFIA game before though, but it's now time to give it a try. Mafia 1 is definitely the best game in this franchise as well.

This is as old-school a First-person shooter/FPS game can get. If you have played TUROK 2, then you might be aware of this classic fps shooter. Someone has released a MOD for this old FPS title. I'm installing this game now, just to test out this MOD.

Modder ‘|Totalitarian|’ has released a cool mod for the classic dino FPS, Turok 2, that adds a number of gameplay enhancements. Additionally, it packs subtle graphics enhancements, like better weapon textures, gore, lighting, and other effects. Turok 2 Plus also brings faster movement speed, and the ability to double jump. It also features new alternate fire modes, better balance, and new weapon effects.

Furthermore, there are some AI improvements for enemies. For instance, more cave worms utilize their burrowing ability. More Endtrails can also use their cloaking device (and their animation has been slightly sped up).

If interested, you can download Turok 2 Plus from here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snx0QopGr-8&t=120s&ab_channel=johnsmith

If you like RACING/Sports Games, then this might interest some of you. You might be aware of this news as well though. I don't play racing games, but this one looks at least graphically impressive.

Anyway, Forza Motorsport is coming to PC through Game Pass and Steam. Microsoft has confirmed that Forza Motorsport is coming to PC and Xbox in Spring 2023, arriving as the game's 8th mainline entry within the Forza series. The game's coming from Turn 10 studio, and its promises gamers a "48 times improvement in the fidelity of physics simulation", which means that the game will be Microsoft's most realistic racer to date.

On PC, Forza Motorsport will be available though Xbox Game Pass, the Microsoft Store, and though Steam. The game is aiming for higher fidelity visuals than any prior Forza game, which means that the game will include ray tracing and other advanced graphics features on supported hardware.

The game is claimed to offer a "generational leap in immersion", with completely overhauled driving mechanics and damage simulation. All of the Forza Motorsport 8 tracks will feature a full day-night cycle, which would affect in-game racing conditions like track temperatures and tyre grip. Forza Motorsport 8's visuals will also be enhanced by real-time ray tracing on tracks.

Turn 10 Studios is developing the next title in the franchise, simply known as Forza Motorsport, which is a reboot of the series built from the ground up for current-gen consoles and PC. The title is powered by a new, overhauled version of the ForzaTech engine that powers previous Forza titles like Forza Horizon 5, and will be powering the upcoming Fable reboot being developed by Playground Games.

Below is Forza Motorsport's latest retailer, which was showcased as part of 2022's Microsoft and Bethesda games showcase.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4h5cMONIs&ab_channel=Xbox

FORZA-MOTORSPORT-1.jpg

FORZA-MOTORSPORT-5.jpg

FORZA-MOTORSPORT-4.jpg

FORZA-MOTORSPORT-2.jpg

Last edited:
I was just discussing yesterday on another forum whether I should try Forza Horizon or Motorsport. I don't really like the free roam style of games like Horizon. After trying The Crew and Fuel, they're just not my type of racing game. I worry Motorsport may be a bit too SIM-like for me though, mainly because I play on keyboard. If Motorsport has driving assists you can turn on like Horizon does, and I can dial it in to the feel GRID 2019 had, I could see playing it.

This is Nostalgia. The first FAR CRY game still remains a classic gem of an FPS. The best in the series, IMHO. Already played this game a dozen times.

Now a Modder ‘-SX-‘ is currently working on a brand new mod for Crytek’s classic shooter, Far Cry 1. This is the third major mod that is in development for the first Far Cry game, and below you can find its full details (as well as a gameplay video).

Looks promising, but it's too early to pass any comments, and the mod is still WIP.

Anyway, "Far Cry: Rework" will have the same visual environmental style as the game’s beta version. It will also have increased draw distance, some new vegetation from Far Cry 2010, a new fog effect for the jungle, and new terrain textures with better bump, displacement and specular maps. Players can also expect some new objects, better water shaders, some upscaled textures, new rocks, and CookiePLMonster’s Silent Patch.

As the modder noted, this won’t be a remake or remaster mod. Instead, think of it as an Enhanced Edition of the Steam version. Therefore, don’t expect any MAJOR graphical improvements. While the Far Cry: Rework will look better than the vanilla version, it won’t implement any modern-day features.

There is currently no ETA on when Far Cry: Rework will come out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFxkdXhU9I&t=1400s&ab_channel=SuperXero

Sadly that doesn't look to have enough enhancements to be worth playing IMO. I'd be totally into a complete remake of FC1 if done well, but unfortunately Ubisoft owns the IP, and I don't feel they have what it takes anymore to be top devs.

Once I got to know FC1 well, I managed to beat it on Realistic with no damage. The following were captured at a much lower res than today's standards, and were originally posted as files you download. On YouTube they need to be viewed in the smallest viewer size, or better yet the embedded viewer size.

Here's how I played that first mission Training.

And here's the Fort mission

And Factory

Sadly that doesn't look to have enough enhancements to be worth playing IMO. I'd be totally into a complete remake of FC1 if done well, but unfortunately Ubisoft owns the IP, and I don't feel they have what it takes anymore to be top devs.

Yeah actually the MOD isn't that good looking, that's why I mentioned don’t expect any MAJOR graphical improvements. This game should definitely get an Official Remaster/remake of some sort though. Because after all the CRYSIS franchise has already gotten the "remaster" treatment.

But UBISoft won't allow this. They have been busy milking gamers with Assassin's creed and Watch Dogs franchise, and even far Cry, with FC6 already been released which is a "stuttering" mess on PC. Very poor optimization by UBI.

Honestly speaking, UBI now lacks talented Devs these days, as evident from the studio's portfolio.

Yeah actually the MOD isn't that good looking, that's why I mentioned don’t expect any MAJOR graphical improvements. This game should definitely get an Official Remaster/remake of some sort though. Because after all the CRYSIS franchise has already gotten the "remaster" treatment.

But UBISoft won't allow this. They have been busy milking gamers with Assassin's creed and Watch Dogs franchise, and even far Cry, with FC6 already been released which is a "stuttering" mess on PC. Very poor optimization by UBI.

Honestly speaking, UBI now lacks talented Devs these days, as evident from the studio's portfolio.
Yeah I actually got kicked from Ubi's official forums after stating my opinion of what they'd done to the Ghost Recon franchise with Breakpoint, but I honestly don't miss being there a bit. GR Wildlands though I loved so much I made a video walkthrough of it on their forums on Extreme mode with no upgrades, and it was so well received by forum members and staff that they stickied it.

How low they've sunk since those days. Anymore they don't have the guts to use real locations in their games, choosing to cower at a handful of comments claiming they've ruined the reputation of Bolivia, or whatever country the game takes place in. A good publisher should use the right to creative freedom when making fictional entertainment media, otherwise they have no business calling themselves truly creative.

Yeah I actually got kicked from Ubi's official forums after stating my opinion of what they'd done to the Ghost Recon franchise with Breakpoint,

Lol, that's a bit strange. But it was expected. UBI just being the typical UBISoft. They will ban anyone if they voice their personal opinion or criticize the game and/or the devs.

There is little to no freedom of speech and expression it seems, but in some cases they don't kick members citing their opinions.

I think the UBI Forums used to be very good and friendly. I was a member of that forum in 2005. The atmosphere was quite friendly, and we also used to pass some criticism as well. I left the forums long back though. Don't know how is the scene now over there.

Every game forum/company should at least accept "constructive" criticism though.

Lol, that's a bit strange. But it was expected. UBI just being the typical UBISoft. They will ban anyone if they voice their personal opinion or criticize the game and/or the devs.

There is little to no freedom of speech and expression it seems, but in some cases they don't kick members citing their opinions.

I think the UBI Forums used to be very good and friendly. I was a member of that forum in 2005. The atmosphere was quite friendly, and we also used to pass some criticism as well. I left the forums long back though. Don't know how is the scene now over there.

Every game forum/company should at least accept "constructive" criticism though.
Well I can tell you this, I just looked at the GR Wildlands forum over there to see if my walkthrough of the game was still stickied. It wasn't even there at all, along with most of the threads about the game. As one member stated there recently, the GRW board is a shambles. And there are still people pointing out that Wildlands is the better game between it and Breakpoint. It falls on deaf ears of course though where Ubi are concerned.

Well I can tell you this, I just looked at the GR Wildlands forum over there to see if my walkthrough of the game was still stickied. It wasn't even there at all, along with most of the threads about the game. As one member stated there recently, the GRW board is a shambles. And there are still people pointing out that Wildlands is the better game between it and Breakpoint. It falls on deaf ears of course though where Ubi are concerned.

Speaking of GR, which one is better, Wildlands or Breakpoint ? I presume Wildlands though like also mentioned by you ? I know these games have a pretty huge open-world environment/setting, but I read somewhere the Missions are repetitive in nature ?

The only GR game I have played was the good old Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW 2), but I had a very hard time beating the game, since the difficulty level was high for my gaming skills. Even GRAW 1 is a good shooter, but again it has punishing difficulty.

Did UBI did something wrong with Breakpoint's setting ?

Last edited:
Speaking of GR, which one is better, Wildlands or Breakpoint ? I presume Wildlands though like also mentioned by you ? I know these games have a pretty huge open-world environment/setting, but I read somewhere the Missions are repetitive in nature ?

The only GR game I have played was the good old Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW 2), but I had a very hard time beating the game, since the difficulty level was high for my gaming skills. Even GRAW 1 is a good shooter, but again it has punishing difficulty.

Did UBI did something wrong with Breakpoint's setting ?
Well do you honestly think I'd have gotten kicked off their forums if I had said anything good about Breakpoint? Wildlands to many of us is easily the better game. Breakpoint takes place in a fictitious setting and is about a former ghost gone rogue whom commands an army of various drones.

The missions in Wildlands I would say aren't really any more repetitive than most military style shooters, in fact if you play into the system of skill upgrades and do all the types of missions required to get the resources for them, it's a lot less repetitive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You mean to say you are going to be very busy once you start playing Diablo 2 ? You will be missed if you don't answer a few questions here. :p
I just had it as an example. I played the Diablo 2 Resurrected version that was released last year, I was not really here for most of April and May last year because of it. Currently in between games, I spend more time between than playing these days.

Some new video game trailers have been shared for some of the upcoming PC titles. Check this article. You can find trailers for SteelRising, The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, Ad Infinitum, Hell is Us and more.

I haven't heard of some of these titles before though.

https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrai...ings-gollum-ad-infinitum-hell-is-us-and-more/

It looks like a new Terminator game is also in the works. Terminator Survival Project. Not sure if this is another first-person shooter/FPS, because no game info or details were shared. I really enjoyed playing Terminator Resistance though.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/naco...-terminator-game-terminator-survival-project/