Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
It appears that Focus Entertainment has released the official story trailer for "A Plague Tale: Requiem". This trailer features in-engine footage, showcasing what Asobo has achieved with its in-house engine. Game looks interesting.

Even though I haven't played the previous title in this Plague series, but this one has got my attention. Even the voice acting is pretty good. The game is getting released on October 18th, 2022.

View: https://youtu.be/KK9vYJ1g2WE
I was quite impressed by the voice overs and graphics of the first game, as were many. It wouldn't surprise me if they do even better at both in this one.

Anyway, regarding the general thread topic, I've been playing through Ebola 3 the last week or so, and just started Monster Energy Supercross 4 today.

Ebola 3 is a low budget RE style game, but a bit more on the survival horror side. It's not bad really for a $17 game, and actually looks pretty good with it's UE 4 graphics. It leaves me wanting better voice overs and animations at times, but realistically you have to expect a few shortcomings in this price range.

I'm finding Supercross 4 to be quite difficult. It's largely due to the tracks being very technical. Some, like Oakland and Glendale, have really nasty rhythm sections with steeply faced jumps that can stop your momentum cold, and even odd shaped tabletops that serve as precarious turning platforms.

Between that and having to upgrade your riding skills as you go, you start out feeling inadequate. They also seem to have made the handling less forgiving, you have to be really precise or you crash. Even on Very Easy mode, the AI are challenging at the start of the game for me.

Never heard about this indie title before, but the game looks promising/good. Similar horror elements like RE. I might try it afterwards.

BTW, speaking of the survival horror genre, have you played 'The Evil Within', both parts 1 and 2 ?
Oh yes, I've definitely played both TEW 1 and 2. I liked the first much better and ended up doing a walkthrough of it on the hardest (Akumu) mode with no upgrades. TEW 2 is a nice looking game, but IMO too dumbed down from the first one, due to adding auto takedowns from cover, and enemies not pursuing as relentlessly. They lose interest as soon as you're out of sight.

as for the thread, my favorite genre is still fighting games. Eagerly awaiting the new Tekken.

I was actually reading one of your recent comments, to watch the gameplay video which you shared (of one horror game), but when I came and refreshed this topic. your post was gone ? Which game was it btw ?

Anyways, I never played any fighting games though. I'm mostly into TPP and FPS games, with some RPG titles as well. I cannot even play Strategy/SIM genre games. Mostly first and third-person action games.

Oh yes, I've definitely played both TEW 1 and 2.

Both these titles were pretty good. Real horror with spooky atmosphere as well. But I had difficulty beating them easily, had to use stealth as well. The weapon's AMMO was also scarce.

BTW, the official Xbox Store page for Dead Space Remake has just leaked three new screenshots from it. Dead Space Remake will be using the Frostbite Engine. The game looks pretty good, and is having the same horror atmosphere, and creepy enemies like other previous Dead Space tittles.

The game is coming in January 2023 next year though, so the game Devs have enough time to polish this horror masterpiece.

Dead-Space-Remake-new-screenshots-1.jpg

Dead-Space-Remake-new-screenshots-2.jpg

Dead-Space-Remake-new-screenshots-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I was actually reading one of your recent comments, to watch the gameplay video which you shared (of one horror game), but when I came and refreshed this topic. your post was gone ? Which game was it btw ?

Anyways, I never played any fighting games though. I'm mostly into TPP and FPS games, with some RPG titles as well. I cannot even play Strategy/SIM genre games. Mostly first and third-person action games.

thought you guys already knew about it, so I deleted the post. Anyway, here it is again. :)

I find this really creepy and disturbing.. honestly not good with horror games. lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2j15HnhdM&t=1031s

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
...I had difficulty beating them easily, has to use stealth as well. The weapon's AMMO was also scarce.
It gets a lot easier if you use certain tactics. Things like stockpiling one hit weapons and throwing bottles at wall mines are very helpful. Plus it's easy to manipulate them into sneak kills by running then stop running just before a place you hide to sneak kill them after they come to look, then walk back.

The 3rd Chapter is a prime example of how you can use such tactics.

It gets a lot easier if you use certain tactics.

Yeah, the game definitely benefits from tactics, including how to distract enemies, seek in undetected, etc. But the game is still kind of hard for me to beat/for my skills, since I'm not very good when it comes to these gameplay tactics.

But I'm gonna try the 3'rd chapter again. I have watched your video as well. Btw, while browsing YouTube I stumbled upon this video. Over the shoulder camera MOD for Spider Man remastered ? Looks kind of odd to me though. At least we can view spider man's dress more clearly now, lol.

View: https://youtu.be/2HwGiXUM6Gk

I don't see the point of that mod really, it's not much different from the default view.

Yeah, actually it is almost the same view for the player. I think the Modder is just trying to implement a similar view like Batman: Arkham games for some of the player's moves.

But since I haven't played this game myself, I watched some walkthrough videos, and yes, it doesn't look much different than the default view of the player.

Yeah, actually it is almost the same view for the player. I think the Modder is just trying to implement a similar view like Batman: Arkham games for some of the player's moves.

But since I haven't played this game myself, I watched some walkthrough videos, and yes, it doesn't look much different than the default view of the player.
At least it was funny to hear Spidey speak in Russian. :love:

Are they making another HALO game now ? And the game seems to be using UNREAL ENGINE 5, instead of the in-house Slipspace Engine. Just saw this article. After HALO INFINITE, I thought the development work on future projects might get delayed or even stopped.

Halo may ditch the Slipspace Engine over Unreal Engine 5 (dsogaming.com)

New Halo Game in Development | EarlyGame
They said when Infinite came out it would be a base for Halo that would be supported for at least a decade. So I'm not surprised they're already talking about adding to it.

Okay. Thanks for confirming. I haven't even played INFINITE yet. Might finish this and Halo 4 as well.

On some other news, Electronic Arts has released the first official gameplay trailer for Dead Space Remake.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImLnJ6nrfE&feature=emb_rel_end

It appears that apart from a visual overhaul there are some key gameplay improvements as well:

The Peeling System: Necromorphs, monstrosities unlike anything seen before, have been reconstructed around the new Peeling System, which introduces layered flesh, tendons and bones that break, tear and shatter in shocking new ways. And while strategy is key, players will also experience increased opportunities for creativity in how they utilize their variety of unique weapons and abilities to combat these horrifying enemies.

The Intensity Director: Dead Space’s beautifully crafted, equally haunting world has long been easy for players to get lost in, but now players will truly feel the weight of every mysterious step Isaac takes. The new Intensity Director dynamically adjusts what shows up in Isaac’s path, from Necromorph spawns and how they choose to attack them, to environmental effects such as light, smoke, particles and sound. Isaac’s heartbeat, breathing, and exertions also adjust based on his stress level to provide players direct feedback into his mental, emotional and physical state.

An Enhanced Engineering Fantasy: Without weapons or backup, Isaac is forced to defend himself against the Necromorphs by leveraging high-tech mining tools to strategically dismember nightmarish creatures, solve puzzles on his thrilling journey and turn the Ishimura’s malfunctioning systems to his advantage. Originally a silent protagonist, players will now hear more from the beloved engineer via new narrative enrichments voiced by Gunner Wright, the original voice of Isaac in Dead Space™ 2 (2011) and Dead Space 3 (2013).

A Fully Interconnected Ishimura: From the start screen to the end credits, players will confront the frighteningly tight corridors and shadowed hallways of the USG Ishimura without a single load screen or camera cut ever breaking the immersion. This enormous mining ship has been restored for the remake with new rooms, routes and obstacles while permitting seamless exploration with new UI map controls and an improved locator.

I'm looking forward to this overhaul MOD for the original HALF LIFE PC game of 1998.

Half-Life Enriched is an upcoming mod for the original Half-Life that aims to update the look and feel of the game with reworked art, maps, and more.

The upcoming overhaul for Valve’s hit title fully overhauls Half-Life’s single-player campaign with bigger detailed maps, greatly upscaled textures, over 250 new texture variants, updated, models, completely retextured maps with better lighting effects, and fewer loading points due to merged maps.

According to its description, Half-Life: Enriched aims to rework all of the original Half-Life maps in the single-player campaign. Since this mod will rework all of the maps, it will cut down on the loading mid-points by merging maps together. This will get rid of many of the issues surrounding the loading points. Additionally, it may open up new possibilities for gameplay.

Half-Life: Enriched will be also using AI-upscaling techniques in order to enhance the original textures. Furthermore, it will pack over 250 new texture variants. Players can also expect completely reworked lighting effects. According to the modder, nearly all lights now rely on much more realistic texture lighting and have soft glow effects.

Lastly, all original models will receive an update to their texture resolution and poly count, while retaining their original 1998 style. Sadly, there is currently no ETA on when Half-Life: Enriched will come out.

“Half-Life: Enriched aims to rework all of the original Half-Life maps in the singleplayer campaign”, modder ‘Hezus’ writes. “This means you'll see larger, better looking maps, with more details. It will look and feel like the original Half-Life but better looking and with various gameplay changes.”

As some of you will remember, Half-Life was one of the first games with continuous gameplay with loading points between maps. This conversion mod greatly cuts down on loading points by merging maps together, opening new gameplay possibilities as well.

Half-Life: Enriched mod - Mod DB

20220710161751_1.jpg

20220819160439_1.jpg

Half-Life-Enriched-screenshots-3.png

This news actually slipped under my radar recently. It appears that Dead Space "Remake" won't require the EA ORIGIN client/app, if you buy it on STEAM.

EA's games returned to Steam back in 2019, but that didn't mean that gamers could forget about the company's Origin client. Most modern EA games on Steam still require a form of EA's Origin client, and an EA Origin log-in. While you can now buy most modern EA games on Steam, they are still Origin apps.

Thankfully, EA has started to see the error of their ways, confirming that 2023's Dead Space remake will be a "native" Steam app, requiring no EA app or EA Origin login to function. If you buy the game on Steam, you will be getting it on Steam. Let's hope that EA's future Steam games will not require an Origin backdoor to function.

Dead Space's Remake is due to launch on January 27th on PC, Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5. EA has confirmed that the game will not be launching on PlayStation 4, despite recent reports of the contrary.

In the future, I hope that EA can drop Origin as a requirement for all of their games on Steam. That said, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor does list Origin as a requirement though. :rolleyes:

News Source:

This feels and looks like the good old DEAD SPACE game from 2008. Can't wait to try this horror shooter again.

Electronic Arts has just now released a new official video for Dead Space Remake, showcasing nine minutes of new gameplay footage. In this video, senior producer Philippe Ducharme gives us a more in-depth sneak peek at the reimagined USG Ishimura, showing off key improvements including updated visual fidelity, the interconnected ship, the intensity director, and more.

The Intensity Director aims to make your exploration of the Ishimura even more intense, challenging, and unpredictable. Enemies, lighting, and ambiance may change each time you return to a previously explored area, making each experience unique.

Powered by the Frostbite Engine, Dead Space Remake promises to feature amazing visuals. The game will come out exclusively on current-gen platforms. Moreover, it will pack new gameplay content and improvements while staying faithful to the original game’s thrilling vision.

Electronic Arts will release Dead Space Remake on January 27th, 2023. The publisher has also stated that the game won’t have any microtransactions.

View: https://youtu.be/96yUNw2zfW4

This feels and looks like the good old DEAD SPACE game from 2008. Can't wait to try this horror shooter again.

Electronic Arts has just now released a new official video for Dead Space Remake, showcasing nine minutes of new gameplay footage. In this video, senior producer Philippe Ducharme gives us a more in-depth sneak peek at the reimagined USG Ishimura, showing off key improvements including updated visual fidelity, the interconnected ship, the intensity director, and more.

The Intensity Director aims to make your exploration of the Ishimura even more intense, challenging, and unpredictable. Enemies, lighting, and ambiance may change each time you return to a previously explored area, making each experience unique.

Powered by the Frostbite Engine, Dead Space Remake promises to feature amazing visuals. The game will come out exclusively on current-gen platforms. Moreover, it will pack new gameplay content and improvements while staying faithful to the original game’s thrilling vision.

Electronic Arts will release Dead Space Remake on January 27th, 2023. The publisher has also stated that the game won’t have any microtransactions.

View: https://youtu.be/96yUNw2zfW4
Really good stuff there, can't wait to play this game. I just hope if it sells well, they consider continuing the Dead Space series. That, if it's done well, could be the only way I'd forgive EA for canning Visceral Games and stopping continued Dead Space production after Dead Space 3 didn't meet their ridiculous demands.

Last edited:
Really good stuff there, can't wait to play this game. I just hope if it sells well, they consider continuing the Dead Space series. That, if it's done well, could be the only way I'd forgive EA for canning Visceral Games and stopping continued Dead Space production after Dead Space 3 didn't meet their ridiculous demands.

Yeah indeed. This remake looks promising. Here is hoping they optimize the game's engine as well for a much better user experience. BTW, I would also like to get a first-person view for the camera angel used by the player, as an option.

Yes of course, playing in an FPS view/style will NOT look good for such a horror shooter, but I was not that much comfortable playing Dead Space 1 when it was first released, just due to the camera view/angel.

Since I'm a first-person shooter veteran, it actually look me a LOT of time and effort to get familiar with the game/gameplay mechanics, but the end result was satisfying. I have even re-played DS1 3-4 times till now.

I think the player camera angel in this game is like an over-the-shoulder type, sort of, and not a proper third-person view, IMO ?

Yeah indeed. This remake looks promising. Here is hoping they optimize the game's engine as well for a much better user experience. BTW, I would also like to get a first-person view for the camera angel used by the player, as an option.

Yes of course, playing in an FPS view/style will NOT look good for such a horror shooter, but I was not that much comfortable playing Dead Space 1 when it was first released, just due to the camera view/angel.

Since I'm a first-person shooter veteran, it actually look me a LOT of time and effort to get familiar with the game/gameplay mechanics, but the end result was satisfying. I have even re-played DS1 3-4 times till now.

I think the player camera angel in this game is like an over-the-shoulder type, sort of, and not a proper third-person view, IMO ?
If you played on PC, with mouse and keyboard, which if I recall correctly, is the only way you play, the lack of comfort playing it may have more to do with the extremely poor mouse support than the third person view. It wasn't until Dead Space 2 that they refined mouse control to work properly. In the first game it was so bad even with mouse sensitivity set to max, it was a chore just to turn 90 degrees and run when monsters spawned in.

What I did to deal with that problem is go into the config file and make the max mouse sensitivity value WAY higher. The only slight tradeoff was the mouse slider in the menu for it showed the bar going WAY off the available intended space for it, but it made turning quickly much easier.

Even with that it wasn't 100% OK though, because whenever games don't support mouse properly, they also have a bad tendency for the mouse to be sluggish when the reticule is aimed at the center of the screen, and too sensitive when aimed at the edge. This is because a control scheme that doesn't support mouse well has a dead zone effect from the toggle control scheme, so every movement center screen is sluggish. It makes it slow and annoying to try and pinpoint shots on a specific part of a monster's limbs if they are center screen, and yet it also makes aiming at anything near the edge of the screen squirrelly.

Don't forget as well that first person view has WAY less peripheral view for the player, and they have showcased new particle effects, like in that decontamination chamber, where Fetus' spawn near you. That's going to make third person view and it's wider peripheral all the more necessary to see where they are.

I used to prefer and mostly play first person shooters, but I now prefer third person games, as long as the controls and player movement are done well. Some of them have an annoying tendency to not auto turn the protagonist if say he's facing forward and you press A or D to move left or right. This causes the protagonist to often turn in large slow loops, and I really hate that. You can eventually get used to it if you remember to mouse look first the direction you want to move before moving, but it's still slower.

Last edited: