Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
It appears that Electronic Arts has released the official story trailer for its upcoming Star Wars Jedi: Survivor game, that is scheduled to launch on April 28th. The new trailer not only shows the story behind the new Star Wars game but also has some in-game parts.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a third-person, narrative-driven action-adventure game. The game takes place five years after the events of Jedi: Fallen Order.

Looks really good, thanks for posting that MM. (y)

I have game pass, so access to the first game. Is it worth a play thru? If so , whats it like? Not sure if I'd like it as I'm not much into adventure games outside Tomb Raider.
No reason not to try it at least if you have the first one on Game Pass. It has platforming a bit similar to what you find in TR games, so you might like that. It also has a few tough light saber fights though, which can take some time getting used to if you're not familiar with it.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021

No reason not to try it at least if you have the first one on Game Pass. It has platforming a bit similar to what you find in TR games, so you might like that. It also has a few tough light saber fights though, which can take some time getting used to if you're not familiar with it.

Nice -- I"ll give it a go. I wonder how that open world SW game is coming? I think Ubisoft is developing it, if I remember right.

Yeah, the trainer looks amazing. The story also has to be good, and I look forward to this game, since I recently also bought
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (STEAM), and the gameplay seems to be very satisfying.

At first I was a bit skeptical and unsure whether this star wars game will suit my palette, but it's worth playing.

Are you also planning to play HOGWARTS LEGACY as well ? I have not purchased this game yet because my current PC specs are kind of low, and the game is quite demanding on the hardware, including very HIGH VRAM usage requirement.

I'm sure this title is going to stutter and lag on my system/AMD RX 480, but it's really a good game. Maybe once I upgrade my PC, I will grab this title. I watched some early level gameplay walkthroughs on YT, and the voice acting and the story both are great. Even the combat seems to be satisfying.

Yeah, the trainer looks amazing. The story also has to be good, and I look forward to this game, since I recently also bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (STEAM), and the gameplay seems to be very satisfying.

At first I was a bit skeptical and unsure whether this star wars game will suit my palette, but it's worth playing.

Are you also planning to play HOGWARTS LEGACY as well ? I have not purchased this game yet because my current PC specs are kind of low, and the game is quite demanding on the hardware, including very HIGH VRAM usage requirement.

I'm sure this title is going to stutter and lag on my system/AMD RX 480, but it's really a good game. Maybe once I upgrade my PC, I will grab this title. I watched some early level gameplay walkthroughs on YT, and the voice acting and the story both are great. Even the combat seems to be satisfying.
Don't know if I'll bother with Hogwartz Legacy. Being as it's both resource demanding and not my usual genre preference doesn't exactly make it a high priority.

Any of you guys/gals interested in playing The Last of Us Part I ? The game was a hit on PS 5 console, and the reviews were also stellar, so I will make a note of this game. I was watching some YT walkthrough videos yesterday, and the game seems to be interesting.

Though, to avoid any early spoilers, I did not watch it properly.

The Last of Us Part I:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888930/The_Last_of_Us_Part_I/

If anyone has a Nintendo SWITCH console, then don't miss this upcoming 'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' game. It looks so cute, especially the environment and the setting, and the developer has also demonstrated the game's creative gameplay mechanics.

I hope they release it for the PC platform as well, but the chance are SLIM. Anyway, if you are a fan of the "The Legend of Zelda" series then you must watch this gameplay video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qna-ZCbxA&ab_channel=NintendoofAmerica

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
most favorite is still fighting games.

Tekken 8 is looking so good. Can't wait for the release.

rumors among the fanbase is that even 4th gen intel would be capable of running this game. Well, this is an e-sports title after all, the developers want as many people as possible be able to play it. More people able to play = higher tournament attendance. :)

View: https://youtu.be/vTd2XeL4ygQ

Mar 11, 2023
I started gaming on PS 1 and 2 with titles such as:

Crash Bandicoot
(Unpopular opinion: REALLY enjoyed Twinsanity)

Tomb Rider Anniversary (Awesome Game, and only tomb raider game I played unfortunately, but for that time it was fantastic imo) (radier lazy to edit the link...)

And a bunch of other games, mostly for PS 2

Then moved to pc games such as:

Medal Of Hono
r Pacific Assoult- Airborne and others

Conflict Vietnam

Brothers in Arms

Lord Of The Rings ( Opinion please, I would play this game even today; does it not look awesome for 2003? or is it just me due to nostalgia and being a big fan of LOTR series )

Gothic 2 and Gothic 3. ( Does anyone even remember that game? ) I still miss it (Opinion?) ( it was hard for me to go through it without knowing any English )

Edit: Quake III

Everything afterwards is FPS- Competitive Shooters: E.g:

COD
: starting from original Modern Warfare 2 ------ Last one Warzone ( my fav battleroyal game until the release of "WZ 2.0 trash" - K.D-3,23 😁; no life I know...)- stopped playing tho; seemed unhealthy...

Valorant

World of Tanks
:
very unusual choice considering my passion for FPS games and being a so called hardcore "sweat" at those (WOT is a poorly understood game by modern gamers because the game itself and the way it was supposed to be played unlocks only after joining a good Clan and getting Tier X Tanks, and for anyone who played WOT - Tier X requires a lot of time. Therefore many people quit and think it is a boring game because they never saw the game's bright side - E.g organizing tournaments against other clans, planning tactics for days before the Clan Battle which require number of custom games within the clan to figure out what works and what doesn't depending on a Map played- And winning Clan Battles gives your clan Gold ( which is only purchased by real money) to buy premium tanks, skins etc.) LONG ONE SORRY!

And most other Free To Play FPS games which were worth trying.

I would like to hear ya all opinion on some of those older games, cause... my brain literally needs a triple fan liquid cooler from trying to remember those at 4 am.
Really hope that the topic of this old thread has not changed over the years 😟.

Last edited:
Been struggling to try and manage Supercross 5 on Realistic mode. I was happy to be awarded with the number 1 plate after beating it in the 450 Pro class on Medium AI, but for some reason it would not award me the number 1 plate in the 250 West class, despite beating it on Med as well. So I started a 450 Pro career on Realistic.

I was encouraged and hopeful I could win the championship on Realistic when I won the first round with a near 10 sec lead at the end. That was with an even start with no AI head start given. The 2nd round though is proving to be quite difficult. The best I've managed so far is staying ahead until the 5 min Time Remaining almost comes to an end, then the AI catch me and several end up passing me.

The main problem spot is the very first rhythm section is very hard to get good flow through consistently. Strangely enough, I can nail it no problem the first time through it out of the start chute, even though the left turn going into it is fairly sharp. On subsequent laps you take a 180 right berm turn into it though, and it is very hard to hit all the marks that way.

I looked for vids on YouTube of Supercross 5, but there aren't many, which tells me it's one of their least popular games. I did however find one vid of that round in 450 Pro class a guy did, and he struggled at times too with that section. He then started doing whips to stretch out his jumps just enough to nail the triples in that section.

He was using a gamepad though, and these games are designed so that gamepads are FAR easier to do triples and whoops with. Even if I couldn't see the onscreen prompts, I would easily be able to tell if someone is on gamepad, because the bikes look very floaty on jumps as if they are lighter, and on whoops they can easily wheelie super fast through them.

So I started going back to Dying Light 2 to play it a bit more, as my frustration was mounting and stressing me too much. I've now got most of the Inhibitors, but am still doing side quests and exploring to see where I can unlock more safe houses and make climbs up radio towers to unlock GRE Detectors, which show things like inhibitors in their area on the map. I've seen one up high but am struggling to get to it with the para glider.

My fave thing in this game so far is taking over Bandit camps. If it weren't for that I'd have a hard time wanting to go back to it.

Last edited:
Not the question for this thread, but since we re both into the same genre of music I gotta ask. What are the some of your fav thrash metal bands, for me Testament and Exodus.

Hello, it's good to know you too like METAL. I listen to a lot of bands actually. The list is endless. Well, when it comes to THRASH METAL, yes, I too like Testament and Exodus, but only their older albums. Old-school thrash metal was one of its kind.

I also listen to these old-school Thrash metal bands as well, mostly their debut and older albums, not the recent ones.

KREATOR, SODOM, ANNIHILATOR, SEPULTURA, SLAYER, Megadeth, ANTHRAX, TANKARD, Artillery, Morbid Saint, Necrodeath, OVERKILL, Bolt Thrower, Death Angel, Destruction, Powermad, Xentrix, Ripping Corpse, just to name a few.

There are even more Thrash bands which I listen to, but my most favorite bands are: Kreator, Sepultura, Megadeth and TANKARD. Don't like Metallica at all. Older albums of SLAYER are classic thrash metal masterpieces though, so I listen to slayer as well.

We have a full discussion thread over here
: :)

Oh btw, I will answer your gaming query later on in detail. But I too like some of these older FPS titles. Medal Of Honor series: Allied and Pacific Assault, Airborne, Brothers in Arms series, Doom, Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Painkiller, Soldier of Fortune, just to name a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psycho381
Mar 11, 2023
Hello, it's good to know you too like METAL. I listen to a lot of bands actually. The list is endless. Well, when it comes to THRASH METAL, yes, I too like Testament and Exodus, but only their older albums. Old-school thrash metal was one of its kind.

I also listen to these old-school Thrash metal bands as well, mostly their debut and older albums, not the recent ones.

KREATOR, SODOM, ANNIHILATOR, SEPULTURA, SLAYER, Megadeth, ANTHRAX, TANKARD, Artillery, Morbid Saint, Necrodeath, OVERKILL, Bolt Thrower, Death Angel, Destruction, Powermad, Xentrix, Ripping Corpse, just to name a few.
That's awesome, when I comes to testament I have to say that imo they are ageing well and I don't mind their new stuff, ONE of my fav album is probably Brotherhood Of The Snake, which came up in late 2016 ( so it is new in my op), and ONE of my fav songs is Down For Life I believe from 1999.

What do you think of Modern Metal bands? I personally do not like 95% of the things I hear, but for some odd reason I recently started digging into Motionless in White after hearing this Song, but they are also kinda mixed bag, but I think you can probably find few songs that you like although their style is far from OG metal bands.

Edit: what do you think of HAVOK? This Song has been in my playlist for quite some time, but I never actually gave them a shot, is it worth it?

Just wanted to respond, I will continue the topic on the thread you sent-after you respond 👍.

Edit: Btw take your time for the gaming query, no rush. Curious if you or anybody else has any opinion on Twinsanity, Conflict Vietnam, Lord Of The Rings, Gothic, and perhaps WOT-but less important.

Last edited:
Edit: Btw take your time for the gaming query, no rush. Curious if you or anybody else has any opinion on Twinsanity, Conflict Vietnam, Lord Of The Rings, Gothic, and perhaps WOT-but less important.

I have only played Conflict Vietnam. Rest of the games are not my type though, except GOTHIC which was a good game to begin with.

Anyways, have you played Dark Messiah- Might & Magic ? It's an awesome game, and although it is quite old now, but it still remains on top of gamer's playlist.

Save 75% on Dark Messiah of Might & Magic on Steam (steampowered.com)

Also, I don't know whether you have tried playing these as well, but I really loved them. This list is not exhaustive.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, and Shadow of War.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Two Worlds II and Two Worlds Epic Edition,.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

If you prefer hack and slash games, then METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is just too good to be overlooked. A really good game.

This one is also good
. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Have you also tried playing the GEARS of WAR series, especially GOW 4 and GEARS 5 ? They are quite addictive third-person shooters.

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

I can even recommend quite a few First-person shooters as well/FPS games, but I'm not sure about your taste in gaming. I mean some gamers are only attached to a specific genre. But you can try Red Dead Redemption 2 and TITANFALL 2.

Even MAFIA 1 is a nice game.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Lords Of The Fallen.

BTW, also DEVIL MAY CRY series is pretty good, but I haven't personally tried playing this franchise, and also the Divinity series.

Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin II .

Reactions: Psycho381
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor gets a Final Gameplay Trailer:

Electronic Arts has released the final gameplay trailer for Respawn’s upcoming Star Wars game, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a third-person, narrative-driven action-adventure game that picks up five years after the events of STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order.

EA will release this Star Wars game on April 28th::

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmj3ty-Wt48&t=117s&ab_channel=EAStarWars

in addition to Tekken 8...

I'm also waiting for this other amazing fighting game.

Street Fighter 6

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGCKot_wYs

One silly question, since I don't or rather can't play fighting games. Do these games have FULL support for Mouse and keyboard as well ? Because I can't really play any game via a controller. Never tried using a controller though.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
It's looking like the biggest question about Jedi Survivor is whether it will survive it's own horrible launch.

Shockingly, even Respawn, a team that knows UE 4 well, has topped some of the worst ports recently with even spec like 13900K and RTX 4090 struggling to maintain 4K 60 FPS on this game that barely has better visuals than Fallen Order.

For most on Nvidia GPUs it runs at more like 30 FPS, dipping to the teens in many spots, and FSR 2 does not help because it is SEVERELY CPU and RAM dependent. The only semi fix apparently is playing on a high end AMD GPU, since their drivers have less CPU overhead.

@Metal Messiah.

Tekken 8 and Street Fighter 6 are not released yet. So I have no opinion if they are playable on keyboard or not.

the previous versions. Tekken 7 and Street Fighter 5 are keyboard playable. :)

for fighting games.. a stick, a control pad, a keyboard? Whatever you're comfortable with. Just a matter of practice. If you enjoy a game, you eventually become good at it.

here's how.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnlOHLHhM0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XAnZ_QaYM

That's great ! Yes, I was just asking in general about these fighting games. I will try the keyboard settings once I get one of these titles. Don't know which one to buy though, lol, and where to start, 'cause there are lots of fighting games.

Maybe the Mortal Combat series might be worth looking into.

Wow, this is interesting. Didn't know about 'Mixboxes' used for gaming as well. But this concept is kind of cool. Just need to find one on Amazon or Ebay if possible.

@Metal Messiah.

what Mortal Kombat do you plan to try? Well, this fighting game is indeed a bit easier on the fingers than other fighting games. :)

I was actually thinking of getting maybe Mortal Kombat 11 and/or Mortal Kombat X ? :)