Status
Not open for further replies.
45seconds on an install of windows about a year old, and that was after a days work every time, but wierdly enough i did a restart after a defrag and ran it again and got 47seconds every time... meh ill reinstall some time and see what i get.

World record is below 20seconds - P4 @ 7.2ghz, followed by a PM @ 3.7, the AMDs actually trail at higher clock speeds.

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Whats a super PI score, I know this is a stupid question :(

No I'm in the same boat what is SuperPI? and while we are at it what the heck is this "folding" I keep reading about??? :?

SuperPI is a little bit of software that uses a basic algorith to calculate decimal places of PI - check google.

"Folding" is stanford universitys attempt to get peoples computers to predict protein structure during their idle time. It was the first major project of its kind. After that came Seti from Berkely University - an attempt to monitor radio signals for signs of extraterrestrials. Now Seti has moved to a software called BOINC - allowing people with other projects in computational biochemistry, computational physics, climate prediction and computational mathematics to attach themselves to the software - this way people can decide what project takes their fancy and want to help.

I'm currently particpating major into LHC@Home - a CERN project designed to aid the construction of a Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. They want to simulate particles going around a particular 27km loop for collisions and experiments - but they need things like supermagnets to be correctly aligned. Thats the computational aspect - lots of directed simulations.

However BOINC has allowed lots of other projects similar like Folding to expand - Rosetta is a project designed to improve current protein prediction algorithms by testing them against known protein structure found by x-ray diffraction - so that projects like Predictor@Home can successfully find structuires of other proteins to answer biomedical questions relating to disease and drugs. Whereas Folding is testing their software against unknown proteins to aid the fight against disease.

Generally, people are either pro-Folding or pro-BOINC. I love helping physics, so I do BOINC - it also allows me to help other projects. e.g. 60% physics, 30% biochemistry, 10% mathematics etc.

Most, if not all, people on these boards are pro-Folding. If you want to find out about BOINC, google it (like anything else these days!!).

Also, these computational tasks help people guage CPU speeds when 100% load, and help with overclocking 'burning in'.

edit: my superPI @ 1M is 35s with BOINC at 100% on both procs :D

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
lo,

i just downloaded it and have a problem. as is the case with folding which i just newly downloaded yesterday as i like this kinda thing, i can only use a maximum 50% cpu usage per program. running both at once results in one using 50%, the other around 47/48%. my cpu is hyper threaded so is there a way to get both logical cores working as together on the one program.

50% cpu usage implies one of your threads is on full - the other core is working on another unit too it seems. You arenet losing anything by doing two units at one time rather than one unit at double speed.

But with regards to dual core/HT:
Computational projects havent designed their software to have one work unit work from two cores for several reasons: some of the project architecture make it impossible to utlize both cores; not enough people have dual cores/HT to make it worth while to rewrite up to a million lines of code which may have taken two years to write in the first place.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
No I'm in the same boat what is SuperPI? and while we are at it what the heck is this "folding" I keep reading about??? :?

SuperPI is just a benchmark for you to test in a few seconds how much "muscle" your CPU packs within- http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

FoldingProteins a significant contribution you can make to mankind(the life you may save may as well be yours)
see this short clip for a simple explanation

http://www.teamshort-media.com/videos/foldflash2.html

Also see - http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,67835,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_4

Status
Not open for further replies.