Whats your take on my denied RMA from Gigabyte?

Aug 16, 2018
Just got an email with this in it:

"Due to physical damage, the warranty on this gigabyte product is voided and

the item is being returned as is.

The PCB is damaged.

Due to this physical damage, repairs to the product can not be made to correct the problem."

This card is truly not physically damaged. The fans stopped working. Gigabyte uses the worst fans. It was overheating very badly. I feel like they are cheating me out of my warranty.

What is the part of the PCB called, where the arrow is on the card?

Also I have another video card, where there is an oily substance coming from this side of the PCB. Any ideas on what that could be?

efBsZI.jpg

Solution
That's either an SMD capacitor or resistor. Judging by the scratches around it looks like something was run across it with force and it popped off. This could be the cause of the fan issue. This kind of damage is not a manufacturing defect so it's not normally covered by warranty.

Thermal pads can excrete an oily substance around them and is normal.

bignastyid

Titan
That's either an SMD capacitor or resistor. Judging by the scratches around it looks like something was run across it with force and it popped off. This could be the cause of the fan issue. This kind of damage is not a manufacturing defect so it's not normally covered by warranty.

Thermal pads can excrete an oily substance around them and is normal.

Solution
Aug 16, 2018
Thanks for the clarification. I cant fathom what the scratches are. It was inside my desktop working, months later many bsods and noticed the fan not working. When I get it back, I'll check it out.

Is it possible for these resistors or capacitors (the underside) to "pop" off in extreme heat? This thing was going over 90C.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
That's almost certainly an SMD capacitor as the Ref designator is C893. Are you going to attempt to replace it yourself?

Be aware though that if it is a MLCC (Ceramic) Capacitor, you may want to be diligent in how you measure it as MLCC's change their capacitance based on DC bias.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

Nvidia would never spec those caps to be such low heat resistance. They are probably X7R's that can withstand -25 to +155 C.