Question WHEA errors on new hardware before and after reinstall, please help

TBlazeWarriorT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
WHEA errors on new hardware before and after reinstall, no minidump, paid a professional but didn't solve, am desperate

Long Explanation:
Hello. I built my first computer less than a year ago, and after a few minor issues that I fixed, I got struck by a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR around 2 months after building it, all with new parts at that point (was using an old evga psu+gpu until I could afford the new one). After about 10h using the computer, it happened again and corrupted my Windows. I tried a few things like making sure every cable was plugged in tight, but couldn't fix the issue on my own. I updated my bios from F4 to F6e, ran 2h of memtest, did everything I could and was told to do software-wise and forfeited, as my Windows remained corrupted and everything seemed doomed. Repairing windows also was "unavailable", according to it. So I paid a professional to inspect and fix my computer. After a few days, they said they found nothing, reinstalled windows using just my own hardware, told me they tested all my hardware and it was fine, and gave me the pc back, working just fine, and so I blamed windows. Now, another 2 months later, I got whea'd again and immediately got depressed. One thing I noticed is that on Windows Event Viewer, it says it "failed to create a minidump". I asked the technician about it but they didn't answer, and I couldn't find a reasonable solution for my case on Google either. So now I'm stuck with this whea that makes my PC feel cursed, and no minidump.(edited)

Short explanation:
Hello, I build my first PC and am having WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERRORs and minidump creation fails. I need advice on how to debug either via software as I am a new builder and a professional didn't manage to find anything wrong with my hardware.

Extra Details:
  • PC Specs: i5 9400f, Gigabyte B365M DS3H, HyperX 2666MHz 2x8GB, 1TB SX6000 SSD, Redragon RGPS 600W PSU, 2-fan Zotac RTX 2060, Nox Hummer MC Pro case
  • Windows 10 with automatic updates enabled on a 100GB partition. 150GB free on the other partition. Windows Defender
  • My new monitor's displayport gives me no image, no matter what, and started blinking white when at 120hz, so I also downgraded to 60hz back then. I don't really trust their brand (Warrior, which is a national, worsened copy of Sceptre), so I blamed it on the monitor. I unplugged one end of its hdmi cable for a while to see if I still get whea'd while using just my old monitor.
  • I have two minidumps that didn't fail to be created from a week ago, but I don't remember having any error last week. I will upload these two minidumps if requested.
  • My whea happened like one day after updating NVidia Broadcast from 1.2 to 1.3. I've already uninstalled it just in case, and uninstalled Nvidia HD Audio because I have realtek and don't use hdmi audio
  • My PC is not overheating. All my Wheas happened during low cpu usage, for example having just Discord and Youtube open. I already reinstalled discord and changed to another browser. I never got a whea during high/important PC usage, coincidence or not.
  • Happened on old-ish and newest NVidia drivers (46x and 47x)
  • When a whea happens, only my new (primary) monitor bluescreens, the other one remains frozen at the image it was before. The bluescreen stays at 0% and the PC must be unplugged to leave it. Windows usually restarts normally afterwards, but eventually gets corrupted.
  • 0 errors on 2 full "memtest" passes via usb stick - diskcheck and Adata's quick disk check passed - Bios settings sometimes reset themselves, but probably because of the power outages I used to have. I had a surge protector though, and my mobo claims to have some protection. I don't think anything got fried.
  • My motherboard never failed to POST, always giving a single beep
  • My computer once passed an intel CPU integrity test using their app
  • I am not doing any sort of overclock or anything.
  • Plugging/Unplugging my monitor cables once crashed my Windows, for some reason. It started looping on a connection noise until the PC froze and I had to unplug it too.
Might or might not be useful to know:
  • My GPU once gave me a pretty "serious" driver crash that blamed Discord for triggering it while screensharing and using nvidia broadcast (also coincidence or not), like "windows stopped discord from using graphics or something", but I managed to fix it a while after somehow
  • I once installed Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and it would cause my computer to "freeze to death" after a while, for some reason, so I had to uninstall. This was before my current, fresh, Windows install, though.
  • I have very few programs installed, the installation is quite clean and not many of them boot with windows. For example, RadminVPN at most.
  • My BIOS new experimental bios from 3 years ago claimed to fix instability between my mobo and hyperx ram, but memtest passed both before and after, and I got wheas before and after
  • After power outages + being unplugged, my system clock would sometimes go out of sync.
  • I tried installing Ubuntu to see if it would work, and hardware-wise it did for one day of testing, but my user experience was horrible and I felt lost/frustrated with the Ubuntu LTS "lite"/incomplete version on a slow pendrive, causing freezes when opening/closing stuff because of the USB stick itself (very likely).
  • Was working perfectly before the Wheas. For example, it ran 100h of Cyberpunk 2077 without a single hardware issue or crash.
To sum up again:
I'm having WHEA errors that nor me nor a professional managed to diagnose. I need advice on how to troubleshoot this whea, specially via software, maybe how to fix my minidump things, any tips on what things I can uninstall/unplug to test.
All my PC parts are on warranty, I just need to know which, if any, is causing it. May lord help us all. Thanks for the attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
was using an old evga psu+gpu
Make and model of the parts? Include age of the older PSU.

Redragon RGPS 600W PSU
What sort of PSU's do you have access to? You should replace the PSU with one that's reliably built by either Seasonic or Corsair(something above the CX lineup) and has 550W of power for the entire system and see if the issue persists. Also, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Which version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? You can find said version by Right clicking Start>Left clicking on System, the version should appear at the bottom of the new window.

TBlazeWarriorT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
Redragon RGPS 600W PSU
What sort of PSU's do you have access to? You should replace the PSU with one that's reliably built by either Seasonic or Corsair(something above the CX lineup) and has 550W of power for the entire system and see if the issue persists. Also, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While here, check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing.
I don't have access to any spare hardware.
I based my PSU purchase on this test for it's 500W variant: yt /watch?v=id0j0ZJPJ2E , by a Brazillian partner of Cybenetics.
I never had issues inside the bios, everything looked fine (other than occasional warnings that settings have been reset, but again probably bc of the shutdowns/failed windows "bugchecks"/minidumps), and I even successfully updated my bios during the period when I first had whea's .
My PSU voltages look OK on the bios and on OpenHWMonitor, and my RAM clock is stable on both.
I updated my bios from Stock (F4) to Latest (F6e) after having issues, and ran the RAM Memtest on both BIOS's with no issues.

Last edited:

TBlazeWarriorT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
Seems like it was my defective monitor or the NVidia HD Audio drivers. I unplugged the monitor and uninstalled the driver and my pc now boots 5s faster and has been running flawlessly since