WHEA uncorrectable error Win 10 64bit - bugcheck 124, ASUS laptop Eee VX6S

carpe_diem12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi, All,
I know it's a frequent topic here, but so far the answers I've seen didn't help me (I didn't apply all of them yet).
Need the community's help analyzing the minidumps. Which are attached.
But let me review the issue and what I've done already:

I have the above laptop which one day automatically upgraded to win10. (by one of the suggestions that popped up and was not declined). After a while it started shutting down with the WHEA error. It can happen after 5 / 10 /1h /2h etc. Quite random.

Since then I've watched the temperatures, and it seemed it was running high. Updated the AMD drivers the latest crimson something and the GPU temperatures dropped nicely, and the CPU is also running around 56-67C.

Scanned Hard drive for errors. Scanned 15passes extended memory scan via microsoft mdsched.exe and all was clean.

Uninstalled most of the ASUS utilities (Which were working fine on Win7), after I saw such a suggestion either here or on another forum.

Last time I've seen the error there were no devices attached to USB or any other ports. The PC has a dead battery that doesn't charge so it's always connected to a power source.

I've also loaded from a multi-boot HIRENBOOTCD style usb, and tried to backup the entire C: drive to try and format the PC then, but it froze / hanged during the backup.

I've tried running sfc /scannow but usually the PC crashes with WHEA error before it finishes. I may have completed it once and it didn't detect any errors (I don't remember for sure since I tried it many times).

I've also updated the BIOS via Asus LIVEUPDATE and it's the latest version (released in 2012).
I haven't reset the bios though. There's no overclocking running and the computer is mostly used to browse internet and watch movies.
Malwarebytes installed with free licence, and also AVG Free.

Here's the main text from BlueScreenView:
122916-55656-01.dmp 29/12/2016 11:07:47
Bug Check Code: 0x00000124
P1: 00000000`00000000
P2: ffff9601`f682d028
P3: 00000000`b6000400
P4: 00000000`04e00800
Caused by Driver: hal.dll
Caused by Address: hal.dll+3627f
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0
Proc.Count: 4
Major version: 15
Minor Version: 14393

Also in the detailed view:
hal.dll hal.dll+3627f fffff803`f800f000 fffff803`f8084000 0x00075000 0x57dac91a 15/09/2016 18:15:22
ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+22b33c fffff803`f8084000 fffff803`f88a4000 0x00820000 0x584a77f6 09/12/2016 11:23:02

Links to a couple of minidump files:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ea3fwy7eaui4756/122716-64343-01.dmp
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1zvw479hdj71o20/122716-70765-01.dmp

Appreciate your help!

Solution
Forgot to post an answer for this thread when I finally was able to resolve the issue.
The issue appeared to be a faulty USB3.0 ports/controller.
Once I've stopped using them and instead used the USB2.0 port I was able to use the computer normally - reinstall Windows 10, drivers, ran tests, benchmark and stress tests - all worked well.
The moment you connect a device to a USB3 port - it crashes with the WHEA error. So my solution is to use a port replicator/USB replicator or some other USB card if more ports are needed.

Thanks for the help! I got more help on tenforums but the solution came from careful observation, and some more forum threads talking about problems installing win10 from a usb stick connnected to a usb3.0 port.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows Hardware Error Architecture errors are CPU errors

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
Parameter 1: 0x0 = A machine check exception occurred.
These parameter descriptions apply if the processor is based on the x64 architecture, or the x86 architecture that has the MCA feature available (for example, Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium IV, or Xeon).

MS error description

can you run https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool on the CPU?

hal.dll = hardware abstraction layer: the part of windows that deals with hardware interactions
ntoskrnl = new technology operating system kernel: the brains of win 10

someone may be able to read dumps and find more info but I would run IPDT and see what is reports

carpe_diem12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks, Colif for the CPU util suggestion. I wasn't familiar with it. I was going to try and run PC-Check on the machine, but this one is easier to obtain.
I do hope someone will analyze the minidumps to pinpoint the troublesome device.

So far I've started running IPDT and it immediately fails on the first test SPBC. I'm not sure what that is.
It's an Intel Atom D2700 dual core processor. In any case I've unchecked "Stop on Fail" and now running the rest of the tests.So far it appeared to pass all the rest of the tests, and now the system was unresponsive for half a minute or so during the IGFX test I believe. Now it has completed the cycle with only the SPBC test failure. I've started the test once again with a loop this time. Let's see if it fails over time.

Let me know if you have any more ideas.
Btw, what does it mean that the SPBC test has failed? that this is not a production processor?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Module Executable = SPBC.exe
The purpose of spbc.exe is to determine if the processor under test is either a sample or production processor

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19792/eng/IntelProcessorDiagnosticToolHelp.pdf
its just an optional test, I am not sure how much I would be concerned about this

I guess we wait and see if anyone can read dumps. If no one does in a day or so, I would read the posting instructions on the site below and ask them, as they have more people around who can read dumps. https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

carpe_diem12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks for the tip. I posted there now, but until I'll get an answer it may take some time.
I hope someone who can read dump files will look at my files here.
Thanks for all the help so far!

carpe_diem12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Forgot to post an answer for this thread when I finally was able to resolve the issue.
The issue appeared to be a faulty USB3.0 ports/controller.
Once I've stopped using them and instead used the USB2.0 port I was able to use the computer normally - reinstall Windows 10, drivers, ran tests, benchmark and stress tests - all worked well.
The moment you connect a device to a USB3 port - it crashes with the WHEA error. So my solution is to use a port replicator/USB replicator or some other USB card if more ports are needed.

Thanks for the help! I got more help on tenforums but the solution came from careful observation, and some more forum threads talking about problems installing win10 from a usb stick connnected to a usb3.0 port.

Solution

carpe_diem12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Actually the dumps showed nothing on USB, instead something about the AMD graphic card, though I think these messages were misleading. I had to learn to use WinDbg on the way of resolving this nasty issue. So new skilled acquired :)

Thanks for the help. Can you mark the question as answered and vote / set my last comment with the actual issue as the answer?

Cagri ada

Prominent
May 20, 2017

Hi everyone i have the same minidump logs but i dont have any usb 2 port.how can i fix this issue? My laptop is asus gl502vt which has that specifications i7 6700HQ 16gb DDR4 ram Gtx970m 3 GB

Colif

Win 11 Master

if you make your own post and link it here, I will have a look