Question Whea uncorrectable error win8.1

Andy_TP

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
Hi,
Just upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM today.

My previous spec:
Intel i7 4771 CPU
2X4GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS H81M-plus motherboard
GTX 1080ti graphics card
A 500GB mechanical drive
And a sound card which I’m 70% certain is ALC887

What I changed today:
Replaced the old parts with ASUS prime H310M-K motherboard, i7 9700k CPU and 2X16GB DDR4 RAM. Everything else was unchanged, except the graphics card was too big and I couldn’t put the sound card back.

What happened: pressed power button, didn’t change any BIOS settings, windows said installing hardware or something, when the installation went to about 90%, got a bluescreen error: machine check exception, then PC shit down.
I tried to reboot, installation finished quickly the second time, went to desktop.
Then I immediately went to the control panel to check the PC, but only 16GB RAM was detected. I then shut down the PC, took out the RAM sticks and tried put them back in and in different combinations a few times (the motherboard has 2 RAM slots), eventually 32GB RAM was detected.
I then restarted the PC a few times just to make sure both RAM sticks were consistently detected, which they were. But on my 3rd restart, I got whea uncorrectable error a few seconds after went to desktop. Then this error would occur either immediately or a few minutes after PC goes to desktop.
I then did some googling and updated my motherboard driver, then the error occurred again. But this time, during startup, the PC started repairing the C drive or something and updated windows. Then it said one of the system DLL file is missing and I need to reinstall the system.
So I’m now downloading windows 8.1 from the Microsoft website using my laptop, and then try to make a system repair disk myself to reinstall the system for my desktop.
I’m fairly certain that even if I could reinstall the system, the bluescreen error would persist, so anyone got any ideas what I should do?

I’m sorry for a very long post, but I’m a PC newbie and can’t really determine which information is relevant.

Andy_TP

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
Just to clarify. During assembly, I managed to put the graphics card back, but it’s too big and blocked the sound card so I did not put the sound card back.
When I was tweaking with the RAM sticks and slots, I never kept my PC on for more than 1 minute after reaching the desktop. So although the whea uncorrectable error only started occurring after both RAM sticks were recognised, they might had happened if I kept my PC on long enough.

Andy_TP

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
Update: just checked again, the computer won’t even boot up now, the pc just shuts down 1 second after pressing the power button. I guess I have to send it for repair now.

Drop to one stick of RAM in required slot, and see if you are stable in your BIOS...assuming you still get a display, at least

(Make sure you are not reseating any RAM or circuit cards without power completely removed from rear of PSU....!)

The powering itself off after 1 second is somewhat concerning, indicating things have now gone 'downhill fast'....;make sure your CPU fan/cooler is still connected to MB 'cpu fan' header...

Andy_TP

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
Hi, mdd1963,
Sorry for the slow reply, hasn't checked the forum since I sent the PC away.
I gave them the PC for repair Monday afternoon, they told me I could expect a call about what's wrong with it in 1-2 days, which never happened. Called them myself on Wednesday and Thursday. Apparently, they didn't even start troubleshooting until Thursday afternoon. I live in Australia and next Monday is Queen's birthday so they won't be working again until next Tuesday. At this moment all they could tell me is that it's a hardware issue and I probably won't know the whole story until next Wednesday and would be lucky if I could get it back next week. So they are either slacking off or there are big/many problems with the hardware and I hope it's the former.
At any rate, there really isn't anything I can do at this moment but wait and hope for the best. I will update again when I know more. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS