whea uncorrectable error

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013
https://gyazo.com/163e4d0f0cb305581b94d9b08cb19892 blue screen view

before this my pc used to freeze and force manual restart, i updated windows 10 to newest version and now i got this error.

temps look fine idle however i do not know temps before crash.

it doesnt crash under stress/ like during games

My bios is not up to date. is this bios problem or hardware problem? or do i need clean install of windows 10?

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Fly with me : "whea uncorrectable error"

before this my pc used to freeze and force manual restart, i updated windows 10 to newest version and now i got this error.

temps look fine idle however i do not know temps before crash.

it doesnt crash under stress/ like during games

My bios is not up to date. is this bios problem or hardware problem? or do i need clean install of windows 10?

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

why would i need to disable turbo boost, when the system crashes at low clock speeds?

my cpu is i5 3570k it is not overclocked.

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
@Fly with me
That would be the quick fix, but the WHEA and IRQL errors are usually because of lack of CPU voltage.
Perhaps you have "weakened" your CPU after years of usage at high temperatures (>70°C AMD >90°C Intel) and electromigration causes your CPU to no longer be stable at that voltage or clock rate.
I suggest you bump your i5 3570K voltage by 0.001V on the core and 0.001V on the cache (uncore) for stability if you want to keep the stock clocks.

The i5 3570K has a significantly higher clock and voltage then the i5 3570 and hence has higher wattage. An aftermarket cooler is required.

Fly with me

Honorable
May 14, 2013

I have an aftermarket cooler, and i can assure you that the temps have never been over 90 Celsius. However I do think there is a possibility there could be "electromigration" as I have used my computer average 8 hours a day for 4 years and turbo boost did sometimes make it go to 4.2ghz instead of stock 3.4ghz. therefore i think raising voltages is a good idea. should i keep raising voltage till i get no more freezes?

I would also like to ask you which kind of stability you are talking about, if increasing voltage will increase stress related stability then im pretty sure I do not need to do it. my pc is completely fine under stress, the freezes occur independent to stress.

Also as an update since this post I have updated my bios and also done a clean reinstall of windows through a usb, but the problem persists.

due to the randomness of the crashes it leads me to believe that it is either a ram, motherboard, psu, hard drive or bad cpu chip that is causing this. which tbh isnt a very narrow list

I have ran cpu, gpu stress tests and they have came out fine. I have ran memtest86 for both sticks together and the results are ok, however i have not tested for each individual stick yet

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
I think your CPU is good, you got a good chip, but your motherboard sucks.
Tell you what, disable Turbo Boost (Core performance boost) in the BIOS, enable unlock, and then change and set all multipliers to 40. Also change voltage to 1.2v.
The turbo core is causing too much voltage fluctuations when the core clock changes. Also disable, C States, Power efficiency, C1E, Speedstep and HPC mode.

You are better off with a constant 4.0 GHz than a varying clock up and down on that motherboard of yours.

Download CoreTemp, besides, since you are below 90°C, you might want to overclock until you reach that point. Maybe your cooler can handle more than 1.2V? If that is so maybe you can achieve higher clocks.

EDIT: Thought your chip was AMD and burnin' out at 90°C TJmaxx