Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSoD

Shadowheart411

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016
HI all,
First let me start by saying that although my account is old, I rarely post so if this is posted in the wrong area please feel free to remove it or put it in the correct forum.

I'm a little stumped by what I'm seeing and the Microsoft KBAs are useless. Any help/advice/guidance would be appreciated

As the title suggests I'm getting a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSoD pretty frequently over the last few months. I got two yesterday and two today. and Ive had probably 10 over the last 3 months.
The system specs are below. If more is needed, let me know.
The PC is on only when I'm using it. It is shut down at all other times

Please note that I have not been able to replicate this, it happens at odd times whether the PC is under load or not. For example, I gamed for probably 15 hours this weekend and nothing happened. Today I watched Youtube for 45 minutes and BOOM, the lag hits, the BSoD occurs and I have to restart 4 times before Windows boots properly. This is after I replaced the Thermal Paste (more below)

The general symptoms are like this:

The PC starts to lag seriously.
After 2-3 minutes of worsening lag that brings the PC to a stand still, it BSoDs woith that error. It is the same error every time.
I normally have to restart it 3-4 times before Windows will boot properly again.

System Age: 5 years.
CPU: Intel i7 3770K (never overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (BIOS F18, the latest stable BIOS, according to Gigabyte)
GPU: Nividia GeForce GTX 770 with the latest Driver (436.02)
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 (I believe that is the speed anyway, not overclocked)

Today I noticed that my CPU temps were at 96C at after an hour-ish of watching Youtube videos (I don't know why I didn't notice this before, go ahead and laugh, I did) I immediately replaced the thermal paste and temps are hovering in the mid-upper 70s now after a couple of hours of Youtube. according to BurnIn.

Here's the troubleshooting steps Ive done so far:
RAM: I ran both the Windows 10 Memory Diagnostic and Memtestx86 tool on all 4 RAM sticks at once multiple times for several hours (Ive not had time to accuarately test them individually) I got errors once but I have been unable to replicate it.
CPU: I used BurnIn to confirm the High temps reported by My BIOS before I replaced the Thermal Paste.
OS: Ive done a complete and clean reinstall of Windows, using DBAN to wipe the drives before the reinstall.
BIOS: The BIOS is up to date. I tried a reinstall of the BIOS but it said it already had that version.
NIC: I did a clean reinstall of the latest drivers and the ones on Windows Update. The issue persists regardless of the driver I use
All other Devices are up to date and error free (according to device manager)

As I said, any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

1832? no such version?

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903 Build 18362.295
there was 1803 & 1809 last year.
First 2 digits = year, 2nd two = month of release (in theory), so 32 way out :)

doesn't help to run memtest on 4 sticks at once, as you can't tell which stick caused the error.
SInce you got 1 error before, it might pay to look again.

TRENDING THREADS