Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR while gaming under load ?

Apr 9, 2022
Hi,

About a week ago my computer started randomly crashing while playing video games with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. It only occurs during more difficult to run games like Apex Legends and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. So far it hasn't crashed during normal use such as web browsing, streaming, etc.

Something interesting that I've noticed when it does crash is that the task manager reports my M.2 SSD (C: drive) as being under 100% load. I'm just not sure if it's relatively normal for the boot drive to be at 100% at BSOD or if the SSD is the root of the problem.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:

1. Updated Graphics Drivers
  2. Updated Windows
  3. Updated chipset drivers
  4. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (reported no problems)
  5. Ran Western Digital SSD testing tool (No problems)
  6. Ran sfc /scannow (Found corrupt file and repaired -- didn't fix problem)
  7. Ran chkdsk (No problems)
  8. Ran CPU, GPU, and RAM stress testing tools to try to reproduce the crash (Never crashed during these tests)
  9. Update BIOS
I am also having trouble getting Windows to generate a dump file when it crashes. The only dump file I have on my machine is from Sep 2021, even though my computer has crashed problem 20+ times in the last week. I messed around with some of the dump settings, but still no luck.

Edit: Sorry it took so long to get the system information, got swamped with work

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Ram: 32GB G-Skill (2x 16GB sticks, I honestly don't know the speed or exact model)
SSD: WD-Black SN750 NVMe
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 (ASUS)
PSU: Corsair TX 850M (About 7 years old)
Windows: 10.0.19043
BIOS version: 6024 2/25/2022

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from you. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you're on Windows 10, please include the version(not edition) of the OS. BIOS version for your motherboard? Age of the PSU in your build?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Something interesting that I've noticed when it does crash is that the task manager reports my M.2 SSD (C: drive) as being under 100% load. I'm just not sure if it's relatively normal for the boot drive to be at 100% at BSOD or if the SSD is the root of the problem.
I am also having trouble getting Windows to generate a dump file when it crashes. The only dump file I have on my machine is from Sep 2021, even though my computer has crashed problem 20+ times in the last week. I messed around with some of the dump settings, but still no luck.
these could be related. The dump file is created on the C drive and if its at 100% usage when it crashes, its not likely to make a dump.

What Model Western Digital SSD is it? Its possible that if problem is physical that the software can't see it.

I'm just not sure if it's relatively normal for the boot drive to be at 100% at BSOD or if the SSD is the root of the problem.
no one else has mentioned it before and I answered too many BSOD posts in the last 6 years. So it could be a clue.

when you see the system process or disk process running at 100% and you have a solid state drive:
you should boot into bios and leave the drive idle for a hour or so. after 5 minutes, the drive firmware will run its cleanup routines. These can get blocked in certain cases. (machine goes to sleep too fast)
ssd drives need to have plenty of free space for the drives firmware to do clean up. IE make sure you delete your recycle bin. maybe update the firmware for your ssd, or the bios of the motherboard.

you can also run crystaldiskinfo.exe and read the drives health info. Sometimes it will tell you that the drive is having problems and will show the firmware version. In case there was a bug in the firmware.

Apr 9, 2022
these could be related. The dump file is created on the C drive and if its at 100% usage when it crashes, its not likely to make a dump.

What Model Western Digital SSD is it? Its possible that if problem is physical that the software can't see it.

no one else has mentioned it before and I answered too many BSOD posts in the last 6 years. So it could be a clue.
Just updated the original post with my specs. The SSD is
WD-Black SN750 NVMe

Apr 9, 2022
7 year old PSU could be cause

Difficult to be certain when system not creating dumps.

I only knew to test this because I stumbled on another comment someone else made, but I've had a Cable Mod cable extender for my CPU power for idk 5 or so years. I took it out and (so far) there haven't been any new crashes.

I still shouldn't rule out my PSU, but yeah thought that was interesting.

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS