Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

You have a new PC, we just need to fix it. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just went through the thread to see what we have done.
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old) – tested with IPDT, run fine
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old) - no real tests for motherboard, you test everything else first
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old) - replaced
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive) – firmaware up to date,
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD – Tested with seatools

Did we ever run memtest?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

could run Prime95 as well, it tests CPU & RAM - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
guide - http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

only real tests for GPU are benchmarks like Furmark or Heaven

is the soundblaster in PC?
I assume the 2nd wifi card is not there now?
When you updated the Samsung firmware, did you try running the benchmarks in Magician?

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I just went through the thread to see what we have done.
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old) – tested with IPDT, run fine
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old) - no real tests for motherboard, you test everything else first
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old) - replaced
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive) – firmaware up to date,
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD – Tested with seatools

Did we ever run memtest?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

could run Prime95 as well, it tests CPU & RAM - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
guide - http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

only real tests for GPU are benchmarks like Furmark or Heaven

is the soundblaster in PC?
I assume the 2nd wifi card is not there now?
When you updated the Samsung firmware, did you try running the benchmarks in Magician?

Soundblaster is out.
Second wifi card is out
Ever since they wiped my ssd I haven't checked to see if the firmware is out
We haven't run memtest. I've ran windows memory diagnostic and thigns have come back clean.
I haven't run prime95 or any gpu testing.

I'll be totally honest with you chief I am terrified of getting into my pc. I open it up for cleaning but I don't try to touch parts. I have a tendency to be clumsy despite my best efforts and with my luck something would get fried lol

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I scanned over the 4 pages and did not see this suggested, its a long shot anyway but I'll just leave this here.
I was getting the similar errors on my old system, it turned out to be the RAM wanted more voltage. took me forever and a day to work it out but the RAM had been set to 1.6V in the BIOS by ASUS MemOk feature for a long time and when I set it to 1.5V as the factory suggested, blue screens, specifically irq and whea.
I read that you have not done anything in the BIOS as I said its a long shot but when I gave the RAM a bit move juice the system ran like a watch again. check to see the voltages are correct for your RAM. 1.35 for DDR4, 1.5 for DDR3. if you have an ASUS board MemOk may have trained/forced RAM to need the higher juice.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

grounding yourself will alleviate most of the damage you can do inside a computer.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I scanned over the 4 pages and did not see this suggested, its a long shot anyway but I'll just leave this here.
I was getting the similar errors on my old system, it turned out to be the RAM wanted more voltage. took me forever and a day to work it out but the RAM had been set to 1.6V in the BIOS by ASUS MemOk feature for a long time and when I set it to 1.5V as the factory suggested, blue screens, specifically irq and whea.
I read that you have not done anything in the BIOS as I said its a long shot but when I gave the RAM a bit move juice the system ran like a watch again. check to see the voltages are correct for your RAM. 1.35 for DDR4, 1.5 for DDR3. if you have an ASUS board MemOk may have trained/forced RAM to need the higher juice.
Hey man welcome to the party. I have corsair vengeance ddr4 sticks. i'll check and see what my ram voltage is. I have an MSI board. Just to clarify I need to set the ram voltage to be at 1.35?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Hey man welcome to the party. I have corsair vengeance ddr4 sticks. i'll check and see what my ram voltage is. I have an MSI board. Just to clarify I need to set the ram voltage to be at 1.35?

oops, DDR4 running at stock is 1.2V. if you run the overclocking profiles the voltage will increase a little bit depending on the speeds. 2133Mhz at 1.2V is where the motherboard will start.
the overclocking profiles which enable the memory to run at their stock speeds may raise the voltage to 1.35V. my DDR4 3000 runs at 1.35V at 3000Mhz, but only 1.2 at 2133Mhz.
I hope this is not confusing
DDR4 1.2-1.35V depending on the profile used

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Searching about your error i came across this.

Sometimes a BIOS update can cause this issue to appear. To fix the problem, you might have to go back to the older version of BIOS.

After cross referencing your bios version you mentioned, i don't see E7B17IMS.A40 in the list? I'm just wondering if motherboard has the correct bios version applied to it? Correct me if im wrong.

Is this the motherboard?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC

Think you mentioned bios was updated? Curious, if it was, how was it done?

If bios indeed doesn't match, i'd update (Maybe try second oldest version), then load bios optimised defaults to make sure system parameters is fully refreshed with the new bios information.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
oops, DDR4 running at stock is 1.2V. if you run the overclocking profiles the voltage will increase a little bit depending on the speeds. 2133Mhz at 1.2V is where the motherboard will start.
the overclocking profiles which enable the memory to run at their stock speeds may raise the voltage to 1.35V. my DDR4 3000 runs at 1.35V at 3000Mhz, but only 1.2 at 2133Mhz.
I hope this is not confusing
DDR4 1.2-1.35V depending on the profile used
I'm not overclocking. I think things are set to auto. I'm getting ready for bed so I'll check when I get up :)

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Searching about your error i came across this.

After cross referencing your bios version you mentioned, i don't see E7B17IMS.A40 in the list? I'm just wondering if motherboard has the correct bios version applied to it? Correct me if im wrong.

Is this the motherboard?

Think you mentioned bios was updated? Curious, if it was, how was it done?

If bios indeed doesn't match, i'd update (Maybe try second oldest version), then load bios optimised defaults to make sure system parameters is fully refreshed with the new bios information.
I have not updated my bios. As far as I am aware my BIOS is what I had when I got it out of the box.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I prefer Postimages for uploads. Load the picture, scroll down and use hotlink for forums, that saves the link to your clipboard and just paste here. Gives a good, clear image without extra stuff and is easy to zoom.

First thing I'd try is reseating the ram a few times, sometimes with new motherboards the pins inside the ram slots don't get a good scratch on the ram stick, so don't get a very good connection. If you still get an error, pull one stick out. Then try. If no error, swap the sticks using the same port. Then try both sticks in the other port. This is to try and rule out whether it's a stick issue or a port issue. If it's a particular stick, you'd need to rma both (it was a single kit, right?), if it's a port, that'd require rma of the motherboard.

Software testing is still software, so is not infallible. It can be wrong. You may have Zero issues in the test yet still have issues when exactly the wrong combination of other things is used. Antivirus software is very adept at messing with things for instance, and combined with other things can create havoc with hardware drivers at times. That can't be duplicated by software tests, so a physical test of the sticks/ports, while doing what you normally do, is warranted.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L9f6xfcRlq-am8LAr5cB2h64WkameJc1

I couldn't get screenshots to work for some reason so here are pics I took on my phone. If you need anything else lmk :)

Thanks. Bios version is 7B17vA4 date 2019-2-26. There's been a few updates since. There's a youtube vid top of page showing how to update bios.

After re-seating ram and doing other stuff mentioned, try update bios.

Has it already been mentioned to enable XMP? How did that go?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try reseat the ram and perhaps switch places with them. Ram can be a pita sometimes and simply reseating or switching them around can do magical things.

Then enable XMP. There are more guides on YouTube as well if you prefer a visual guide. Could search Msi specifically to relate more to Msi's bios UI but pretty much all mobo manufacturers are similar in terms of where stuff is layed out in the bios.

Afterwards if problem persists, then look toward update bios.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Try reseat the ram and perhaps switch places with them. Ram can be a pita sometimes and simply reseating or switching them around can do magical things.

Then enable XMP. There are more guides on YouTube as well if you prefer a visual guide. Could search Msi specifically to relate more to Msi's bios UI but pretty much all mobo manufacturers are similar in terms of where stuff is layed out in the bios.

Afterwards if problem persists, then look toward update bios.
So id reseating the ram doesn't fix things THEN try xmp? Or do both regardless?

Should I stress test the ram as well?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do both yeah and stress test or run memtest for four passes.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Do both yeah and stress test or run memtest for four passes.

Ok and when you say switch places do you mean swap which sticks goes in which port? how man times should i reseat it?