Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Driver booster can & will install wrong drivers.
  2. You don't need driver booster on a motherboard by MSI that has Dragon Centre as it will update motherboard drivers for you.
  3. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

one way to see if it is GPU would have been run PC off the motherboard HDMI or DP (running off CPU) although you wouldn't be able to play games in this config

could be soundblaster only based on age and fact drivers might say they for win 10 but likely relabelled win 8 or earlier drivers. Creative were slow to support win 10

WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
Can be caused by any hardware
Can be caused by overclocking.
Can be caused by overclocking software so programs like MSI Afterburner, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (which is on motherboard website), so remove any you have.
Can be caused by old BIOS versions so update it if you haven't already
Can be caused by heat but after all the testing have to assume not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oussebon

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I restored windows too before I installed Driver Booster and I installed Dragon Center so I could update my drivers correctly. I forgot about the program probably because I didn't install after the windows reset

I also wonder its my soundcard cause of its age. I'll probably remove it when I rewire my PC.

Like an idiot, I forgot to grab the minidump from my most recent crash but I did grab the most to recent mini dumps

My BIOS is version is E7B17IMS.A40. Is that the most recent version? It says my build date was today so I wasn't sure.

February 15 WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error Dump
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fXB_a37pfh_C8nA3LXXAChnDRdCgPe1t/view?usp=sharing

February 21 IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f0-aQg7ERBJahwasNxD1deoiw9I2qGMx/view?usp=sharing

I think the IRQL error should be fine now since I update everything but I figured I'd go ahead and share it anyway!

Thanks for looking at this stuff and helping me!!!

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build.

After doing the upgrades, did you perform a clean Windows install at the time? i.e. not some kind of 'reset' or restore / rollback
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-install-Windows-10/
Where you delete all partitions on the OS drive and then install Windows into the completely empty drive?

If the answer is no, there's a good chance your system is plagued by having leftovers from the drivers from your old hardware. Compounded by driver booster.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
After doing the upgrades, did you perform a clean Windows install at the time? i.e. not some kind of 'reset' or restore / rollback
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-install-Windows-10/
Where you delete all partitions on the OS drive and then install Windows into the completely empty drive?

If the answer is no, there's a good chance your system is plagued by having leftovers from the drivers from your old hardware. Compounded by driver booster.
Originally not I did not do a clean install of windows at the time. When I took my PC in for this issue the first time they completely factory reset windows with a fresh installation and placed my OS back on my SSD. Things seemed fine for about a month and then the issue came back so I think that is a yes. As I mentioned already in a comment above I just restored windows from before I installed driver booster and reinstalled dragon center and updated my drivers that way

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Factory reset =/= clean install.

It does sound a bit like the Windows installation has some big problems.

In your position, I'd do a clean install of Windows, let Windows handle the driver updates (except for the GPU if you want to manually install that from the Geforce website). Install the bare minimum of software i.e. steam and a game that would normally cause the error, and play it until the error happens again. If it doesn't happen, gradually reinstall software. And leave the drivers alone, apart from periodic GPU updates, and any essential security fixes.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017

In your position, I'd do a clean install of Windows, let Windows handle the driver updates (except for the GPU if you want to manually install that from the Geforce website). Install the bare minimum of software i.e. steam and a game that would normally cause the error, and play it until the error happens again. If it doesn't happen, gradually reinstall software. And leave the drivers alone, apart from periodic GPU updates, and any essential security fixes.
That will probably be what I do if this issue persists after I replace the PSU. I feel like that will rule out any and all hardware issues and then I can redivert things towards taking another look at Windows. I'm not a tech person and this error code has been a pain in my ass for too long. I wanna make 100% sure its not a hardware issue.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
If you clean install Windows and the problem disappears as if by magic, then you know it's not hardware :)

Even if you replace the PSU and this fixes the issue, you should clean install Windows as it sounds like your installation is thoroughly broken with what has been done to it.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
If you clean install Windows and the problem disappears as if by magic, then you know it's not hardware :)

Even if you replace the PSU and this fixes the issue, you should clean install Windows as it sounds like your installation is thoroughly broken with what has been done to it.

Sounds good! We'll see what Coliff has to say as well when he finishes looking at the minidumps

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017

Hey something else I noticed that i wonder if it could be causing the issue. My BIOS had an update a few weeks after I bought it which included support for my i9-9900k. Do you think that could be the issue? I hadn't looked at the BIOS cause I heard that could be a risky step but I saw that MSI had put out an update. Just a thought...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Generally don't touch the BIOS unless there is a specific feature / bug fix you need or security update that is recommended. BIOS updates can, in admittedly fairly rare circumstances, brick your motherboard.. so if you don't specifically need something from an update, why bother with that risk.

It's not like a regular e.g. GPU driver update.

Reactions: NinjaSpartan011

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors are one of the few times a BIOS update can fix the problem. Sure, you don't just update BIOS if nothing is wrong, but it can help if you do have problems.

I wouldn't even update GPU drivers, Nvidia has had a bad run the last 6 months so i figure, if the drivers work now, why change them?

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
WHEA errors are one of the few times a BIOS update can fix the problem. Sure, you don't just update BIOS if nothing is wrong, but it can help if you do have problems.

I wouldn't even update GPU drivers, Nvidia has had a bad run the last 6 months so i figure, if the drivers work now, why change them?
Ok thanks! Were you able to download the minidump files? Here's my plan moving forward.

1. I'm gonna take my new PSU into the shop either this afternoon or tomorrow and have them install it.
  2. I'll probably also have them remove my old soundcard as I've always wondered if that was the issue.
  3. I'm also gonna ask the shop what they did to my windows installation when I last brought it. I wanna see if it was a reset or if it was an actual fresh installation. If it was just a simple reset I'll probably ask them about wiping both my hard drives and putting Windows on the SSD. That way its a totally clean slate on both hardware and software.
  4. Possibly update the BIOS

Thoughts?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
'm also gonna ask the shop what they did to my windows installation when I last brought it.
People don't always give accurate information.

Only way to be sure is to do a clean install yourself.

If your local chop shop hasn't been able to fix this yet, you are probably better off doing things yourself, especially the clean install.

TBF you really ought to start with the clean install before blaming the hardware...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://affectingeffect.htmlpasta.com/

File information:022120-10046-01.dmp (Feb 21 2020 - 01:11:09)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MM.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:021520-8000-01.dmp (Feb 15 2020 - 13:45:24)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included in the first dump file.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
People don't always give accurate information.

Only way to be sure is to do a clean install yourself.

If your local chop shop hasn't been able to fix this yet, you are probably better off doing things yourself, especially the clean install.

TBF you really ought to start with the clean install before blaming the hardware...
Ok so I've done some research about windows and the various resets and installs you can do. My question is there any difference between doing a "fresh start" installation versus doing a clean installation? They both seem to accomplish the same goals.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Clean install is the best way to be sure.

With a Fresh Start you're trusting Windows to get rid of (and keep) the 'right' things. Bearing in mind your Windows install is already broken - you don't want any risk of it accidentally leaving / restoring any broken bits.

The safer and most guaranteed way is for you to delete every partition off the OS drive, and then perform a clean install. To be honest it's the only way.

Either way, you'll need to reinstall programs, and either way you should/need to back up your data before doing it, so there's no reason not to do a clean install.

Last edited:

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Clean install is the best way to be sure.

With a Fresh Start you're trusting Windows to get rid of (and keep) the 'right' things. Bearing in mind your Windows install is already broken - you don't want any risk of it accidentally leaving / restoring any broken bits.

The safer and most guaranteed way is for you to delete every partition off the OS drive, and then perform a clean install. To be honest it's the only way.

Either way, you'll need to reinstall programs, and either way you should/need to back up your data before doing it, so there's no reason not to do a clean install.
Thankfully my PC is not my primary workstation. It's built for gaming and video editing. My editing I do on external drives so I'm not losing any data by wiping anything. It would just be a matter of installing programs.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Which you'll need to reinstall either way as both wipe out programs. Or at least 'Fresh install' is meant to. Clean install definitely does, and it wipes out everything else too for sure, which is exactly what we need :)

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Which you'll need to reinstall either way as both wipe out programs. Or at least 'Fresh install' is meant to. Clean install definitely does, and it wipes out everything else too for sure, which is exactly what we need :)
I'm going to the shop tomorrow to get my PSU swapped out. Once that's done I'll probably wipe the drive for a clean install. Do you recommend wiping my file drive too? Just to clear out anything that might linger over there?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
You should only need to wipe the OS drive. If your other drive has any OS partitions on it, get rid of them, but it shouldn't have any.

I'd really recommend eliminating software/OS before buying new components.