Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
You should only need to wipe the OS drive. If your other drive has any OS partitions on it, get rid of them, but it shouldn't have any.

I'd really recommend eliminating software/OS before buying new components.
Sadly I already bought the PSU so I might as well just have all new parts installed so I can upgrade them all together. 🤷‍♂️

Colif

Win 11 Master
Were you running oracle8? Curious as MM can be part of Oracle or a Virus - http://windowsbulletin.com/files/exe/oracle/oracle8-lite/mm-exe

Have you updated Trend MIcro at all? Done an anti virus scan?

Are you using INtel or Realtek Wifi? Because you have both installed
Mar 31 2016 rtwlane_13.sys Realtek PCIEWireless LAN PCI-E NIC driver (Realtek Semiconductor Corp)
Dec 16 2019Netwtw08.sysIntel(R) Wireless Networking driver

WHEA error appears to relate to the internet, it mentions tcpip which is the protocols used by Windows to talk to the internet

Razer drivers can cause BSOD
Nvidia drivers can cause BSOD but not normally these ones.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Were you running oracle8? Curious as MM can be part of Oracle or a Virus - http://windowsbulletin.com/files/exe/oracle/oracle8-lite/mm-exe

Have you updated Trend MIcro at all? Done an anti virus scan?

Are you using INtel or Realtek Wifi? Because you have both installed
Mar 31 2016 rtwlane_13.sys Realtek PCIEWireless LAN PCI-E NIC driver (Realtek Semiconductor Corp)
Dec 16 2019Netwtw08.sysIntel(R) Wireless Networking driver

WHEA error appears to relate to the internet, it mentions tcpip which is the protocols used by Windows to talk to the internet

Razer drivers can cause BSOD
Nvidia drivers can cause BSOD but not normally these ones.

As far as I know, I wasn't running oracle. To be honest I don't even know what it is.

I ran a quick scan of my computer yesterday but I didn't get any viruses reported. I think trend micro is set to auto-update.

Idk why I have both Realtek and intel wifi. I'm using ethernet. I do have a wireless network device in my computer but that's cause I live in relatively undeveloped area where wifi used to be a lot worse. The device is a netis wireless-n PCI (PCI-E) adapter

The only Razer hardware I have is a death adder elite mouse. I got it in September. I can't tell you exactly when these BSODS started occurring more frequently. Roughly sometime around November.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it this one?

http://www.netis-systems.com/Suppory/de_details/id/1/de/93.html

Netis WF-2113 PCI-Ex1 Wireless card (Realtek Chipset RTL8188CE).

SO the Netis card is Realtek.

Your motherboard has Wifi built into it, - Intel® Wireless-AC 9462 card
Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, MU-MIMO Rx, 2.4GHz/ 5GHz up to 433 Mbps
Supports Bluetooth® 2.1, 2.1+EDR, 3.0,4.0, 5

that is where the Intel drivers come in. If you don't use the Netis one anymore, I would remove it as you shouldn't need 2 wifi adapters in same PC. The netis drivers are relabelled Win 8 drivers if it is the link I showed above. At least the Intel ones are for WIn 10.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
is it this one?

http://www.netis-systems.com/Suppory/de_details/id/1/de/93.html

Netis WF-2113 PCI-Ex1 Wireless card (Realtek Chipset RTL8188CE).

SO the Netis card is Realtek.

Your motherboard has Wifi built into it, - Intel® Wireless-AC 9462 card
Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, MU-MIMO Rx, 2.4GHz/ 5GHz up to 433 Mbps
Supports Bluetooth® 2.1, 2.1+EDR, 3.0,4.0, 5

that is where the Intel drivers come in. If you don't use the Netis one anymore, I would remove it as you shouldn't need 2 wifi adapters in same PC. The netis drivers are relabelled Win 8 drivers if it is the link I showed above. At least the Intel ones are for WIn 10.
Ah. I totally forgot I even had that wireless card in the computer. I had my computer shop pull it and the soundcard out. They stress tested and said its literally the most STABLE machine they've had. I am gonna pick it up and do a clean installation of windows and clear out both hard drives.

Once I'm done this was the order of what I was gonna install.
  1. Samsung's hard drive management. I wanna make sure my SSD firmware is up to date.
  2. Dragon Center
  3. Nvidia GPU Drivers
  4. Trend Micro
  5. Google Chrome
  6. Steam
Before I do aynthing else I'm gonna make a backup after this
7. Games. I'm gonna start with Total War 3k as its the most intense game I own in terms of pushing my PC. Once I've played it for a few hours I'll start installing other games.

Is that a good idea? Do i need something else?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Don't install the Samsung stuff, it's not necessary
Don't install Dragon Centre as it also won't be necessary to check the PC for issues.
Don't install Trend Micro - stick to Windows Defender, which is fine.
With the Nvidia drivers, only install the drivers and not geforce experience

You can install all those later on, but in order to test the system on a clean install you want the bare minimum of software and anything that could affect drivers or system settings should be avoided for the purposes of the test

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Don't install the Samsung stuff, it's not necessary
Don't install Dragon Centre as it also won't be necessary to check the PC for issues.
Don't install Trend Micro - stick to Windows Defender, which is fine.
With the Nvidia drivers, only install the drivers and not geforce experience

You can install all those later on, but in order to test the system on a clean install you want the bare minimum of software and anything that could affect drivers or system settings should be avoided for the purposes of the test
How do I install the nvidia without geforce?
Also when I had the shop do a factory reset of my computer I got a BSOD called DCP_Watchdog or something along those lines. Once I got the samsung magician and updated my firmware I was fine. Idk why firmware needed updating but it seemed to fix my issue so.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Sure - I probably would.

You could create (and then verify) an image of your SSD with the free Macrium Reflect software.

The image is a snapshot of the drive. It can be mounted and explored. So if you realise you forgot to backup a particular file, it will still be on there. And as an image, you can restore the installation onto the SSD should you need to.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-image-your-hard-drive-using-macrium-reflect

https://www.macrium.com/webinar-19-06-2019 (long-ish video)

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Sure - I probably would.

You could create (and then verify) an image of your SSD with the free Macrium Reflect software.

The image is a snapshot of the drive. It can be mounted and explored. So if you realise you forgot to backup a particular file, it will still be on there. And as an image, you can restore the installation onto the SSD should you need to.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-image-your-hard-drive-using-macrium-reflect

https://www.macrium.com/webinar-19-06-2019 (long-ish video)
Cool! Wish me luck!

Reactions: Oussebon

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Windows update should be able to handle all the drivers on its own.

My advice would be to go without Dragon Centre, see if there are any problems. If not, great, you know the hardware is fine (and can install Dragon Centre if you like). Or if there are issues that could be driver-related, try Dragon Centre to see whether it fixes those. But establish a baseline without it first because you want to test the absolute bare minimum.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows update isn't perfect, it can only update drivers if they been provided to MIcrosoft for digital signature, not all Hardware makers do this for every version, so its always advisable to check motherboard website after an install.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Absolutely agreed it's not perfect - but you don't always need the latest version of every driver either. For the purposes of testing the minimum, the OP should avoid fiddling with drivers either manually or via software after their fresh install.

After which, of course they should check for updates. But only once they know whether they are still getting the problems.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Update: After two hours logged in with no BSOD crashes I'm gonna install Jedi Fallen Order, Tomb Raider, or Sniper Elite 4 next and run it for two hours. If all goes well I'll install my security program next.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
How long does it normally take you to get a BSOD?

Edit: Also, AV programs can sometimes cause problems. It shouldn't happen but it sometimes does (I've had Bit Defender cause crashes by interfering with a GPU driver in the distant past). I'd hold off on reinstalling Trend Micro for as long as possible. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are very good these days and will keep you safe at least as well as your AV product.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Then don't just go for 2 hours, leave it a few days with your minimalist install.

Otherwise if you get a problem tomorrow, you won't know whether your AV software / whatever else you installed triggered it, or whether it was going to happen anyway.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Then don't just go for 2 hours, leave it a few days with your minimalist install.

Otherwise if you get a problem tomorrow, you won't know whether your AV software / whatever else you installed triggered it, or whether it was going to happen anyway.
Ok. Sorry I'm really impatient to get back to full running. After dealing with this issue for the better part of two months I'm ready to go back to normalcy.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Totally sympathise tbh - I would too :)

And there's a very good chance the clean install has sorted the problems.

I guess what you want to avoid is having another error and not knowing whether it was going to happen with the minimalist installation anyway, or whether X or Y caused it.

Keep us posted with the gaming tests

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Totally sympathise tbh - I would too :)

And there's a very good chance the clean install has sorted the problems.

I guess what you want to avoid is having another error and not knowing whether it was going to happen with the minimalist installation anyway, or whether X or Y caused it.

Keep us posted with the gaming tests

Yeah that's why I'm slowly testing steam games. I just don't wanna play certain online games like Siege without my AV installed cause I don't trust windows to stop everything lol

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Windows Defender scores as highly as Trend Micro on AV Test for protection so you'd be fine with it (it really is very good, unlike a few years ago). But I suppose the non multiplayer games deserve some love too :D

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Windows Defender scores as highly as Trend Micro on AV Test for protection so you'd be fine with it (it really is very good, unlike a few years ago). But I suppose the non multiplayer games deserve some love too :D
Really? Do you have the article to show that? I believe you I just hadn't seen anything saying that.
Most of my games are actually singleplayer but a lot of them are several years old and just won't push my computer specs very hard. Siege is just my main multiplayer game.