Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Overall rankings for Dec 2019:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Obviously there's still a role for certain paid solutions, depending on one's specific needs, but the genuine improvements that have been made to Windows Defender in terms of protection have led to articles like:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3434097/why-you-can-stop-paying-for-antivirus-software.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wh...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
So you should be fine connecting to mainstream online games

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Overall rankings for Dec 2019:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Obviously there's still a role for certain paid solutions, depending on one's specific needs, but the genuine improvements that have been made to Windows Defender in terms of protection have led to articles like:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3434097/why-you-can-stop-paying-for-antivirus-software.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
So you should be fine connecting to mainstream online games
That's wild! I still thought Defender was way behind the mark.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Update: I've had my computer set up since Friday afternoon. I've played Three Kingdoms, Snipe Elite IV, and Civ 5. Do I give it one more day before installing another program?

If so which one? I think it should be either Dragon Center, Chrome, Trend Micro, or my Razer Mouse software but idk which one.

Reactions: Oussebon

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you install them one per day, and its stable then add another... its only way to know which is cause. If you lucky, none are and cause was something you haven't installed this time.

Leave trend till last since defender is okay.

I have seen razer drivers cause BSOD this year. Its just an advisory warning, saying it "could" be cause. They seem to work for most people.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
UPDATE: So i've had my PC back for a week now. I've installed almost all my old programs back on it. No crashes as of yet and I'v edited some 4k video footage! I'm gonna leave this unsolved for now and give it another week.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Update: IT CRASHED AGAIN. Just the WHEA error.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Uninstalled a game almost every time I've bsoded WHEA in the last month.
  2. Ran SFC scannow. Windows found corrupted files and repaired them.
  3. Ran chdsk/r
  4. Ran Trend Micros Full Scan no viruses were found.

What are my next steps? I'm honestly panicking heavily now guys.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. you uninstalled a different game each time or it was the game you crashed in each time?
  2. you don't want/need to run chkdsk c: /r on an ssd as it doesn't have any sectors to repair. Run chkdsk C: /f as it will actually help.
curious if you run any scans on storage devices?
only one wifi card still? :)
can you also upload minidumps for the BSOD as it may offer clues.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
  1. you uninstalled a different game each time or it was the game you crashed in each time?
  2. you don't want/need to run chkdsk c: /r on an ssd as it doesn't have any sectors to repair. Run chkdsk C: /f as it will actually help.
curious if you run any scans on storage devices?
only one wifi card still? :)
can you also upload minidumps for the BSOD as it may offer clues.
  1. I just uninstalled this one specific game. I hadn't bsoded on any other game since reinstalling windows. And this game had caused the most bsods originally.
  2. Doesn't F do the same thing as R cause it finds the sectors then repairs it?

Yep only one wificard the one my motherboard has built into it.
Here's the link to the dump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XuYJ1_NGWVqOTZCrDiZ690vcMmr5MwfW/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
is game on ssd or sshd?
both of the only 2 dumps I can see had errors relating to network services and I think they could have both been one of your wifi cards. I will see what next shows once GM converts it.

F only checks for disk errors, not bad sectors. R does both. I don't know if there is a speed difference between them. Its not destructive so its a matter of choice. (I didn't know until now that R did both, I actually learned something today)

https://superuser.com/questions/315878/what-is-the-difference-between-chkdsk-f-and-chkdsk-r

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
is game on ssd or sshd?
both of the only 2 dumps I can see had errors relating to network services and I think they could have both been one of your wifi cards. I will see what next shows once GM converts it.

F only checks for disk errors, not bad sectors. R does both. I don't know if there is a speed difference between them. Its not destructive so its a matter of choice.

https://superuser.com/questions/315878/what-is-the-difference-between-chkdsk-f-and-chkdsk-r
The game was on the sshd. It's not a game where having super-fast load times are needed. Only siege and total war games go on my ssd.

gardenman

Splendid
Dump results: https://scripturalhorseshoecrab.htmlpasta.com/

File information:031020-8468-01.dmp (Mar 10 2020 - 01:28:09)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: BeingADIK.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Dump results: https://scripturalhorseshoecrab.htmlpasta.com/

File information:031020-8468-01.dmp (Mar 10 2020 - 01:28:09)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: BeingADIK.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

That's the game I was playing Being A DIK....that's what's caused the more recent WHEA errors and the new ones? It's a steam game how is that possible??

gardenman

Splendid
The game itself isn't the problem (unless it's a game that comes with it's own drivers, which I've never seen before). Either drivers or hardware is what is causing your crashes. It could be that the game is using a part of the CPU that most other games/software do not use. And it's that part of the CPU that is faulty and causing the crashes.

If it hasn't already been said in the thread (I can't re-read it all at this moment), most WHEA errors are caused by the CPU. Sure it can be other hardware, but in my opinion, most of the time it is the CPU (or overclocks) that is the problem.

I would remove Trend Micro for now. It's drivers are still installed according to the latest dump.

Then if it continues to crash, I would take the PC back to the shop and have them replace pieces and parts until they find what the problem is. I would demand that they start with the CPU itself and test for at least 2 days with the new CPU before trying other parts (motherboard 2nd). And testing should include that game.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
The game itself isn't the problem (unless it's a game that comes with it's own drivers, which I've never seen before). Either drivers or hardware is what is causing your crashes. It could be that the game is using a part of the CPU that most other games/software do not use. And it's that part of the CPU that is faulty and causing the crashes.

If it hasn't already been said in the thread (I can't re-read it all at this moment), most WHEA errors are caused by the CPU. Sure it can be other hardware, but in my opinion, most of the time it is the CPU (or overclocks) that is the problem.

I would remove Trend Micro for now. It's drivers are still installed according to the latest dump.

Then if it continues to crash, I would take the PC back to the shop and have them replace pieces and parts until they find what the problem is. I would demand that they start with the CPU itself and test for at least 2 days with the new CPU before trying other parts (motherboard 2nd). And testing should include that game.

The shop had my pc for almost four days and they said they hit it with every stress test they had at their disposal and found nothing wrong with the CPU :( idk what to do...

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I'm sorry for my frustration with my computer. I've had this thing looked at by my local shop, Fry's Electronics for almost a week if you add up all the time. Not to mention I've spent almost 800 dollars on replacing what was thought was faulty hardware. Not to mention my time and gasoline. And I spent almost a thousand plus dollars on my original new hardware.

I am not a computer person. I have never built a PC before or done any programming of my own. I am just someone who needs a nice computer to the game and edit video footage.

I need to know what my best options are at this point. The way I see it...I either need to get a new computer OR I need to replace the CPU which is still under warranty.

I have all of my old parts from my previous build that I can sell plus the parts from my current build which I think could net me enough cash to build a new computer...

At this point, I'm mentally exhausted and I want an honest opinion about what would be best for my situation since this machine has supposedly been heavily tested already and is basically running on all new hardware.

Thanks guys.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry I haven't been around this week, its been busy.

If I had a pc tested and they found nothing wrong, I would look at what you plug in when it gets home. As if they don't get errors and you do, it has to be something you didn't give them. It might be a long shot, but its what I would do. Do you have any external hdd or printers you plug in? Or that razor device (I see razor drivers)

In the last WHEA report the last action before the error was
nt!woutput_l+0x90
now the limited info I can find on this suggests its outputting the contents of the output window (screen) to a file... so ... lets test the sshd. Was that game on your sshd as well?

You haven't yet. What exactly am I looking to do with this program?
well, it was suggested to test SSHD since its made by Seagate and I wonder how thorough the testing was as its the storage drive, since its not used for boot.

If drive tests out okay, I would suggest you ask on here as they have people there who know this stuff better than I do - https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Sorry I haven't been around this week, its been busy.

If I had a pc tested and they found nothing wrong, I would look at what you plug in when it gets home. As if they don't get errors and you do, it has to be something you didn't give them. It might be a long shot, but its what I would do. Do you have any external hdd or printers you plug in? Or that razor device (I see razor drivers)

In the last WHEA report the last action before the error was
nt!woutput_l+0x90
now the limited info I can find on this suggests its outputting the contents of the output window (screen) to a file... so ... lets test the sshd. Was that game on your sshd as well?

well, it was suggested to test SSHD since its made by Seagate and I wonder how thorough the testing was as its the storage drive, since its not used for boot.

If drive tests out okay, I would suggest you ask on here as they have people there who know this stuff better than I do - https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

I only plug in the razor mouse and my Hyper X Cloud IIs. I tested the Razor mouse first when I was reinstalling everything and it ran fine until this crash.

The game was on the SSHD yes. When I install this Seagate software what tests am I supposed to be running?

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Did you download Seatools for windows? lucky for you i happen to have a seagate hdd or it wouldn't run.

It appears there is only 1 choice, once you select the drive it shows basic tests as an option.
I ran basic test, smart test, and a long write that took four hours and all three came back fine. I'm currently playing civ 5. No crashes tonight. I'm so royally confused its not even funny.