Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Reseat maybe 1 or 2 times. Swap ram that was in the 2nd slot to 4th slot from cpu and vice versa.

Cpu -> slot 1 | slot 2 | slot 3 | slot 4

Got it. It's so weird. I've been on my PC all day gaming and no issues. This has been such a frustrating bsod. It might be a few days before I can reseat my ram as I don't have a static band and I would feel safer trying to do maintenance of any kind.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've never used a static band in 40 odd years of tinkering around inside a pc. It's just a matter of understanding what static electricity is.

Everything has a charge of electricity. Some things more than others, some things enhance it. Like running your socks on carpet before touching the cat.

Pc has a charge too. It's the same charge as whatever it's sitting on. With static electricity, the spark you get is when 2 different charges come in contact, and try to equalize. A static band does this for you, keeps you in contact with the pc physically.

So does touching the metal frame of the case before sticking your hands inside. Static bands are a safety precaution, but not absolutely necessary. They are there just in case you forget to touch the frame. Just make sure the pc is unplugged or that static charge on you is far greater difference, it now has a path to ground instead of a difference in charges.

Reactions: boju

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hey so an update and some questions. My static band came in the mail today so I can reseat my ram. However, I've played civ 5, siege, and a few other games this week and I've not had any issues.

Here are my questions:

1. So when I reseat the ram should I only do one stick and then run memtest? Or put both sticks in my Motheboard?

2. What do I do with the stick that I leave out while I stress test if that's what needed? I don't have the kit box currently with me. Should I set it on a table? Put it in a plastic bag?

3. How long does memtest take? I have two sticks of ram each one being 16gbs. Should I start the test in the morning and let it run through the day or do it overnight?

Thanks guys!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't remember how long a few passes would take, think it's awhile. It's been a long time since i last ran memtest, think they've changed how many runs it does to four.

Run it when you got time, probably overnight. Test with both ram sticks installed. Shouldn't need to test each stick separately unless find errors. But then sometimes ram might only throw errors when together and perfectly fine by themselves.

If were to test separately, place ram stick on a non conductive surface like on a book. Not sure about using a plastic bag and possibly static buildup?

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I don't remember how long a few passes would take, think it's awhile. It's been a long time since i last ran memtest, think they've changed how many runs it does to four.

Run it when you got time, probably overnight. Test with both ram sticks installed. Shouldn't need to test each stick separately unless find errors. But then sometimes ram might only throw errors when together and perfectly fine by themselves.

If were to test separately, place ram stick on a non conductive surface like on a book. Not sure about using a plastic bag and possibly static buildup?
So I got both sticks tested and reseated the ram. I just set my stick down on my coffee table next to wear I was working.

No errors from memtest after 4 passes

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did ya test both together? If both together don't throw errors you're pretty good on the ram side and this problem, if you're still having it, is probably something else. Have you tried XMP yet? Get your ram running at their rated speeds and test them again in that state.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Did ya test both together? If both together don't throw errors you're pretty good on the ram side and this problem, if you're still having it, is probably something else. Have you tried XMP yet? Get your ram running at their rated speeds and test them again in that state.
No I hadn't done that yet. Just tested each stick individually? Is it safe to turn on xmp for my ram? I'll test both sticks.

I haven't had any issues in over a week so here's hoping.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
What's your ram specifications and how fast are they running now? XMP just enhances ram to run at rated speeds and timings. It's usually safe to enable.

My ram is a corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 with a clock speed of 2666 MHz. According to task manager my speed is currently at 2133 MHz...that's weird. Why would the clock be 2666 yet its not at that speed? Is that why I need to enable xmp?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck.

I don't think it's memory related though since you weren't bsoding consistently. If no errors are found, at least your ram is running faster now. Probably wont notice a difference but it's something.

Fingers crossed whatever it was originally flew away.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Good luck.

I don't think it's memory related though since you weren't bsoding consistently. If no errors are found, at least your ram is running faster now. Probably wont notice a difference but it's something.

Fingers crossed whatever it was originally flew away.
Second update. My PC crashed while I was doing some editing. I got the IRQL_NOT_Less_OR_EQUAL BSOD.

I downloaded my MSI Dragon Center and I had drivers that were out of date so I'm gonna download those and hope it fixes the issue.

Well apparently it didn't as I then got a system service exception BSOD 30 minutes later...

THIRD CRASH!!! IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I also updated NVIDIA driver...

All three crashes have been while using Adobe Premiere Pro with an external 4tb seagate hard drive.

Last edited: