Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Probably use internal drive first with ext drive disconnected.

Previously when it crashed in games as well, was the ext drive connected then too or was the same usb port used for something else?
I can't tell you honestly if the drive was connected or not. I'm sure it probably was sometimes. As an editor we almost always edit off ext drives unless we got king kong sized ones.

As for if the same USB port was used....I can't be too sure about that. I know the same USB hub is the one I use for my headset but its the standard hub that has the power button on my PC. Not my extra external hub.

Only once in 3 years (about 3-4 weeks ago) have I had issues with GeForce Experience failing to easily update drivers. (Had to completely remove GeForce Experience and reinstall it to cure the single issue, easy enough)

Every 30-50 days, I just select Express Installation, and it is done in 2 -3 minutes. I see no reason to avoid GeForce Experience, IMO....

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Different crash each time lol, can't get a break can ya.

Did the bsod say anything else?

Try disconnect usb hub, just have the essential cables connected.
Honestly, I'm at the point of just getting a new computer. I've been fighting with it for several months now and nothing is fixing it....
It just said the crash report name. I can send the minidump over if you want.
What good would disconnecting the extra USB hub do?

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
It's a possible thought. When you connected the ext drive these crashes suddenly happened or it could be Adobe, or the files you created are corrupt? Could be the usb hub doing something to the universal serial bus. Who knows, it's a bizarre issue, needs bizarre thinking :)
Should I try running furmark or prime 95 and testing my other components? I feel like that will pretty much narrow things down. If things come back fine then clearly something is wrong beyond what we know...I would think.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Try ram first and then if you get bsod with either stick running Adobe then look toward bios update.

Just a reminder, Msi offers a youtube guide showing how to update bios. The link is on the bios page.

So to be clear with the ram you want me to remove the ram and place it in the A slot of my board? I'm not super computer literate so I'm just curious how that would help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, run the system with one memory stick in the second slot from cpu. Second slot (A2), this is the slot to use for one memory stick in single channel operation. Then see if it crashes. If it does, try the other stick in the same slot. If both crash, that almost rules out ram being the problem despite memtest results.

We'll explore other possibilities if system doesn't crash with one stick of ram.

Updating bios would be highly recommended though at this point.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Yeah, run the system with one memory stick in the second slot from cpu. Second slot (A2), this is the slot to use for one memory stick in single channel operation. Then see if it crashes. If it does, try the other stick in the same slot. If both crash, that almost rules out ram being the problem despite memtest results.

We'll explore other possibilities if system doesn't crash with one stick of ram.

Updating bios would be highly recommended though at this point.

Ok maybe I'm stupid or I can't read a manual right but my first stick is in the second slot from the CPU....MSI has that as the B slot I think
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#down-manual

here's the manual

I think I'm just stupid I got the ram in the A2 and B2 slots right now.

So should I update the BIOS first or try the ram first?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Screenshot from manual. Second slot is A2, second slot from cpu. The way you have it is correct.

EBaeALB.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I'd update bios first. Games seem to run fine. I get the feeling there's a problem somewhere to do with storage or Adobe. Hopefully bios update improves system stability in area's of storage and usb.

After bios has been updated, go into bios and load optimised defaults.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I'd update bios first. Games seem to run fine. I get the feeling there's a problem somewhere to do with storage or Adobe. Hopefully bios update improves system stability in area's of storage and usb.

After bios has been updated, go into bios and load optimised defaults.

I'm sorry for asking you continuously stupid questions. But what do you mean by optimised defaults?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's pretty much a bios reset, returning all settings back to defaults.

On motherboards, there's a cmos and a bios. Easy way to explain it is cmos is the hdd and bios is the Windows. Bios information and settings you make is stored in cmos where there's a battery on motherboard to retain that information when you shutdown the computer.

After updating bios with new firmware, loading optimised defaults will make sure cmos is fully updated.