Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hello everyone!

Over the last few months(?) I've been encountering the WHEA_Unccorectable_Error. This is all started sometime after I replaced most of my build. I've taken it to the shop and they tried resetting windows first then we tried replacing the GPU and nothing seems to have worked. That's led the shop and some of my other techie friends to think its a PSU error. It doesn't really seem to matter if I'm gaming or just sitting on the desktop

Below are my specs
Intel i9-9900K(less than 6 months old)
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC (less than 6 months old)
Corsair Vengeance 2X16 GB DDR4 RAM (less than 6 months old)
NVIDIA EVGA 2070 Super(NEW)
Soundblaster Z Audio Card (8 years old roughly)
Corsair H115 Pro (less than 6 months old)
Corsair CX 750M PSU (2 years old)
Samsung 860 EVO 512 GB SSD(boot drive)
Seagate 2 TB Firecude SSHD

I've already updated my drivers using driver booster. The shop had it for four days and they said they stress-tested every part with everything they had and they ruled out every component except the GPU which they said was drawing more power.
I've ordered a new Corsair RMx 850 Watt unit at the recommendation of a friend and my shop so hopefully, that fixes the issue. I was curious about what people thought in here?

Thanks!

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
No need to be sorry btw. Im more sorry I can't get this figured out 😊
You and me both my dude. Cause it's getting to the point where I might just need to buy a new computer cause I've spent more time troubleshooting than fixing. I've got spare cash and AVA direct is doing a 5% discount.

Anyways so my BIOS is set to default parameters since I'm not overclocking except for the XMP on the ram so would I need to worry about my changing any of the settings? Would I need to reset the CMOS?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just read all the notes, you may or may not be able to just install the newest version, sometimes you have to step it, with other additional updates. After which make sure all the motherboard drivers are updated, some of which may not be listed by msi program, but can include USB family.

Reactions: boju

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Just read all the notes, you may or may not be able to just install the newest version, sometimes you have to step it, with other additional updates. After which make sure all the motherboard drivers are updated, some of which may not be listed by msi program, but can include USB family.
Is there a way to quickly check and install those driver updates?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming you mean usb stick, yeah have this formatted fat32 so bios can read the usb stick.

Download bios file then unzip somewhere. Copy the bios file to the usb stick. Bios cant read through folders so don't unzip it to the usb stick because that'll create a folder on the usb stick.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Assuming you mean usb stick, yeah have this formatted fat32 so bios can read the usb stick.

Download bios file then unzip somewhere. Copy the bios file to the usb stick. Bios cant read through folders so don't unzip it to the usb stick because that'll create a folder on the usb stick.
Got it. I have the flash drive set up so I'll make the update tomorrow. Is there a good way to get all of my drivers updated easily?

Real talk though...what if this doesn't work? What then? It seems like we can't seem to diagnose what the issue is. Like I said I've been fighting this issue for several months and I'm just running out of patience, time, and I really hate spending more money on this computer when its not fixing this issue :(

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i know. Bios is pretty much the last thing to try. Bios updates can and do address issues so fingers crossed.

Regarding drivers, i don't know how to easily check driver versions without going to each device in device manager. Easier to just reinstall those available from Msi.

Updating bios won't remove your current drivers. You won't notice any different afterwards except the possibility the problem is fixed 😊. But it would be good to reinstall motherboard drivers anyway after bios update.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Yeah i know. Bios is pretty much the last thing to try. Bios updates can and do address issues so fingers crossed.

Regarding drivers, i don't know how to easily check driver versions without going to each device in device manager. Easier to just reinstall those available from Msi.

Updating bios won't remove your current drivers. You won't notice any different afterwards except the possibility the problem is fixed 😊. But it would be good to reinstall motherboard drivers anyway after bios update.
How do I go about uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are easy. Do everything on the desktop. Read the driver notes to see if it first needs a prior version, then download to your desktop. Some drivers are self executing, you just click and they install themselves, some drivers you use Device Manager to install, just click on the item - update driver - point it at the desktop.

Windows is the initial problem. As new versions come out, they require specific parameters and codecs and other such, so mobo manufacturers put out updated bios and drivers. You can usually just use windows generic drivers, but sometimes you need the actual specific drivers and bios to compensate.

NinjaSpartan011

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Tbh for the moment while trying to troubleshoot, uninstall dragon centre and disable Windows device driver updates. Control panel > system & security > system > advanced system settings > hardware > device.
Sounds good. Also a disturbing update...I was trying to play siege with some friends this afternoon and I bsoded three times...once was so fast I couldn't get a picture. The second time was a system service exception and the third time was a kernel security check failure.

I'm running ckhdsk on my hard drives just in case there are bad sectors before updating my BIOS but I was really surprised. I played civ 5 for almost 5 hours yesterday without a problem and I've never bsoded with siege before now.

Really hope this bios update works...if it doesn't I think I'm gonna need a new computer :cautious: