[SOLVED] When adding my second (internal) HDD my computer wont turn on or shuts down

Mar 16, 2021
How is everyone.

I have an issue regarding my HDD that hopefully doesnt mean it's broken. So everything was working fine 2 days ago untill my PSU shut down. Got it replaced and everything powers on fine. But, all of a sudden when I connect my second HDD (First one is SDD = Boot, works fine solo) I hear a tick when I try to start it and it shuts down.

I tried the boot option, at least I think so. (Regardless it should start up to BIOS at least right?)
I tried it while using the same PCE cable the SDD is connected on, to connect both. Doesnt work
I tried to use a seperate PCE cable to connect the HDD, doesnt work
I tried to hot swap the second drive so that it can be connected while on

I had no data or file issues 2 days ago for years, the HDD does not smell or burn either. I have ordered a Sata 3 to USB dock thing, so hopefully that works as a last resort.
Did I do anything wrong perhaps?

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I do notice I am not using the 8 pin port that the old sat 3 HDD has. Could that be it?

Pin connection
Thats not for you to use, you just need the SATA cable going to the motherboard and the SATA power plug coming from the power supply.

If you have it hooked up correctly then the drive if probably gone.

If you had a modular power supply you did use the new cables that came with the new one correct?

my PSU shut down. Got it replaced and everything powers on fine.
But, all of a sudden when I connect my second HDD (First one is SDD = Boot, works fine solo) I hear a tick when I try to start it and it shuts down.
Are PSUs, you're exchanged, by any chance modular?
(You didn't list model names of your PSUs)

If they are modular, then be aware - you can use only native cables for each PSU. Modular cables are not interchangeable between different PSU models.
By using wrong cables you can damage/kill devices connected.

Reactions: Krotow

TRENDING THREADS