When are new Intel CPUs coming out this year?

bgraham

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
So, my CPU and motherboard are in pretty desperate need of an upgrade, but, they still work fine currently. I don't follow the CPU market very much, so, when's the best time to upgrade this year? I've looked around and it seems confusing at the moment, the 6th generation Intel Core processors have came out, but only in some models and all of them seem to have worse price/performance scores than older 4th and 5th generation Intel CPUs.

I don't upgrade my CPU very often so I want to futureproof as much as I can. Does anyone know when Intel will release more models than just the i7-6700 and i5-6500 that are overpriced and underpowered? Thanks!

Solution
Skylake E is/was scheduled for Q3 of this year. Those would be models like i7-6920k, i7-6930k, i7-6960x if they stick with the numbering scheme.

I would say buy when you need rather then hold out for processor releases. Generally Intel's roadmaps are not very accurate. There are always delays or decisions changes in any large organization.

Either Skylake or Haswell E is what I would build today. Both offer DDR4 at least. i7-4790k is still the choice of gamer's more or less.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Skylake E is/was scheduled for Q3 of this year. Those would be models like i7-6920k, i7-6930k, i7-6960x if they stick with the numbering scheme.

I would say buy when you need rather then hold out for processor releases. Generally Intel's roadmaps are not very accurate. There are always delays or decisions changes in any large organization.

Either Skylake or Haswell E is what I would build today. Both offer DDR4 at least. i7-4790k is still the choice of gamer's more or less.

Solution

Agash

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014

most likely not since X99 has Haswell-E and the upcoming Broadwell-E. Usually the enthusiast boards live for 2 types of CPU's. For example, X79 supposts Sandy Brdge-E and Ivy Bridge-E. In conclusion, X99 will not support Skylake-E and Broadwell-E would be the succesor to the Haswell-E processors.