Question When audio first starts playing, my PC makes a loud popping/crackling sound

Minaz

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
I am using a PC with an on-motherboard built in sound card, and I am using SPDIF (optical) output to speakers (2.1).

The sound plays fine, but every time any kind of audio is played, whether its a soundtrack, video streaming, or even a windows beep, there is a loud crackling/popping sound. So if Windows was going to make a beep for instance, it would go "POP-beep." If I played a movie, the moment audio starts, it would POP then after that audio would proceed as normal, unless I paused the movie, then if I resume it would POP again.

I have used these same speakers on another PC before, and it did not have this problem.

Also, the PC that is having this problem did not previously do this when I was using a normal speaker output (not SPDIF).

What could be causing this?

Nephern

Great
Sep 20, 2022
The speakers film inside is reaching its end, you will have to get a new sound card.

The way mobo manufacturers make them with sound cards is beyond cheap, they use bare minimum to say its a sound card mobo.

find an aftermarket speaker that matches your motherboard, it should be fairly easy to install.

Minaz

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
I am afraid I don't understand. Are you saying its the speakers that are bad or the motherboard? As I mentioned, the speakers do work fine on another PC. Also, the problem only occurs with the optical out on the motherboard.

ASK THE COMMUNITY