When booting off an SSD, second internal HDD show's up, but third internal won't

davidmavid

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I recently installed an SSD and loaded a fresh copy of windows 10 on my computer. I have two other internal HDD"s in my computer as well. I have the SSD and my first HDD plugged into the two 6GB/s SATA port's on my motherboard. I then have my DVD drive and my second HDD plugged into two 3GB/s ports. When I boot Windows from my SSD, the first HDD show's up, but the second one doesn't. When I boot the Windows copy on my first HDD, the second one does show up. Any idea's?

Solution
Hey there, @David!

I'd recommend you try swapping the SATA cable connecting the problematic HDD. I'd also suggest you swap the SATA port where it is connected to and see how it will get recognized then. Another thing you should definitely check is the SATA controller & Chipset drivers for your motherboard from the official manufacturer's website. Find your model there and make sure you manually install the latest drivers for the hardware. Have you tried swapping the places of the HDDs while booting from the SSD? It might also be a good idea to reset BIOS and check how the hardware components will get detected afterwards. Keep in mind that the procedure will get your settings back to factory defaults, so you will need to...
Hey there, @David!

I'd recommend you try swapping the SATA cable connecting the problematic HDD. I'd also suggest you swap the SATA port where it is connected to and see how it will get recognized then. Another thing you should definitely check is the SATA controller & Chipset drivers for your motherboard from the official manufacturer's website. Find your model there and make sure you manually install the latest drivers for the hardware. Have you tried swapping the places of the HDDs while booting from the SSD? It might also be a good idea to reset BIOS and check how the hardware components will get detected afterwards. Keep in mind that the procedure will get your settings back to factory defaults, so you will need to re-configure any manual changes you have made in the BIOS interface.

Give these a try and let me know how it goes! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution