When booting up my PC, it dies after around 10 sec (windows logo shown), then boots without problem the second time.

Apr 28, 2018
Hi there, so at the start of this month my PC died (because of a lot of problems, I ended up replacing almost everything but the harddrives and graphics card).

About two weeks ago me and my father (who's the only one i know who's good at building PC's) got the PC running without any problems.

Then when I got home from work this Monday I tried to boot the PC, and turned around for a second, and then saw that the PC hadn't booted up. I thought that I just must have not pressed the power button or something and pressed it again, and the PC started up without any problems, and I used it for a couple of hours, without any problems.

Then when I got home on Tuesday, the same thing happened again, but this time I was looking at my screen, and saw that it got to the Windows 10 logo before dying. After that it booted up fine, and I used it for a couple of hours again.

Wednesday the process repeated itself so I started to search for info about similar problems to this, and I saw some people suggesting that the PSU might be the problem, so today we switched out the PSU for my old one which i still had - and the problem still happens.

As I've been worried that something might be up with the CPU temperature, I've been keeping track of it, and just browsing the web and easier tasks, it's around 30°C. I've also tried to run games just to see if the temperature might run very hot, but in games like Overwatch, it may go up to around 40-50°C, but that's it.

Has anyone run into this kind of issue before, or can give me any type of help on what might be the problem? My father suggested that it might be an issue with the power button in the chassis causing this but that seems farfetched to me.

But I would be very grateful if anyone might have any idea at all on what might be causing this!

When it's running, have you been able to run several tests? Memtest86, Prime, ect. What are your full system specs? Possible that your CPU cooler, aircooled or AIO pump, may not always be starting correctly on boot. Does issue occur with sleep? Try reseating all cables, cards, ect. may not be a bad idea either just to eliminate a loose connection somewhere.

Apr 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply! I haven't run any tests so far as I don't really know much about what tests to run, but I'll see if I can run the ones you mentioned today. Here's my PC specs:

Chassis: Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Midi Tower Svart (2x fans)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
PSU: Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W PSU (also tried Corsair Powersupply CX650M 650W)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED Red 16GB (2x8GB) / 3000MHz / DDR4 / CL15 / CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R (Also tried Kingston ValueRam DDR4 2133MHz 16GB and Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Grey 2666Mhz)
Graphics Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition (8GB GDDR5, 1506/1683MHz)
Primary HDD: Kingston UV300 120GB SSD
Secondary HDD: WD Desktop Blue 3TB 3.5"
Sound Card: Asus Strix Soar

As well as a DVD and a Blu-ray driver. I think that's it (if I missed anything feel free to point it out).

I've never tried to put it into sleep mode, so I'll try that today, and I'll also check if I can get some help to test reseating all cables and cards some day soon (as I'm not that knowledgeable about everything, I'm not touching stuff in case I screw everything up more). Might also try to see if switching to my old akasa AK-959CU CPU cooler temporary to see if that might work.

Anyways, thank you very much for the tips so far! Now I at least have some thing to try to start with.