Question When changing bios setting i have to reset the cmos

Jan 17, 2020
Hi so i have been trying to change my ram timings and such because i have amd, but then i do so such as turning the xmp profile the bios or cmos will crash to blackscreen and won't show anything after restart. I have to reset the cmos with the pins on the motherboard. Sry if everything isn't correct i'm not the biggest expert on the subject. Any ideas i wanted to try all this beacause of crashes in bf5.

My specs:
Asus Prime B450M-K
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16Gb 2666Mhz
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8Gb vram
NVMe and SATA ssd's

Please ask for any additional information if you think you can help. Thanks

TLGalenson

Honorable
Nov 19, 2016
You normally have to click on "load optimized defaults" when you first boot up after re-setting the CMOS.

Will it boot in the "default" mode? If yes then try out the built in memory setting that is part of the ram. If you poke around in the tweaking part of the MB you should be able to find something that activates the builtin profile for the ram. That is your baseline.

And no you should not start out by trying to 3200Mhz when you are trying to hand tune it. Use the manual settings to replicate your stock over clock for the ram (see the outside of the ram for the #'s).

If you can replicate the stock overclock, THEN you can try pushing it.

Tom (no relation)

Jan 17, 2020
You normally have to click on "load optimized defaults" when you first boot up after re-setting the CMOS.

Will it boot in the "default" mode? If yes then try out the built in memory setting that is part of the ram. If you poke around in the tweaking part of the MB you should be able to find something that activates the builtin profile for the ram. That is your baseline.

And no you should not start out by trying to 3200Mhz when you are trying to hand tune it. Use the manual settings to replicate your stock over clock for the ram (see the outside of the ram for the #'s).

If you can replicate the stock overclock, THEN you can try pushing it.

Tom (no relation)
Thanks TLGalenson. But its if i change anything in the bios it will crash and i will have to do the whole restart on motherboard thing