Question When computer will be obsolete

tlapier

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I worked with a system builder to put together what I think is a pretty good system. My wife was asking me how long it will take before I will need to purchase a new system again. In other words, it won't play current games being released.
Not that sure what to tell her... 3 years maybe.
Here is system

Intel Core i9 9900k 3.6Ghz
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H115i Pro RGB Water Cooler
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi
64GB (16GBx4) DDR4 3200Mhz
1TB SAMSUNG 970 Pro Series
1TB SAMSUNG 970 Pro Series
3.0TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps Toshiba P300
11GB GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
850watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Modular 80 PLUS GOLD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
IMO - Personally, I'd say how long is a piece of string. There's no telling what the requirements of applications will be in 3 years time.

If you were to put a finger up the air and guess, you could probably guess around 3 years or so, but even longer if you don't mind lowering settings as graphics becomes more demanding.

All I would say is, it could last 2, or 3, or it could last 6 or 8. Some people are still playing games at on 1080p with 700 series GTXs (which were released around 2013) and 2nd (2011 I believe) or even 4th generation processors (roughly 2014). The better question I tend to find is closer to "how long will you last before you'll WANT to upgrade to newer equipment?" :LOL:

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I'll get her prepared :)

To be "fair"....any high end computer is pretty much behind the curve of cutting edge by the time you buy it, and certainly considering the yardstick of newest greatest just after the next new things comes out. But, if you stop and consider how slow real improvement has been over the last couple of years I feel like the only factors of import are what you consider acceptable performance and longevity of the equipment itself.

Speaking for myself, only...I have a tendency to upgrade and pass down components on a schedule as mentioned above, in the past more towards that 5 year mark. Not because the equipment isn't doing what I want, per se but because I like to build and I like to "feel like" it will be reliable for my work and play usage cases.
My last computer before this upgrade path was an i5 4690. I upgraded to a nice PCI-E M.2, more memory, better graphics card, and even now for the TYPE of gaming I do it works as well as what I replaced it with. I actually moved it to an office position for a while but some continuing issue with some of the USB on board after even a mobo change pushed me towards an upgrade for that spot as well. My son enjoys the heck out of it, right now.

So, in a year or so what you have won't be the top of the stack, but only you can say whether it will do what you expect in light of the cost of something else.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personally in todays world, 4 core and 4 thread are not that good. Which is why I think this i7 is still relevant because of the 4c8t.
I couldn't recommend any CPU that is only 4 core and 4 thread.
Also got i7 4790k, runs great

I can completely get this, to be fair though on one of my desktops I still run the 4690k and it OCs like a dream, so still performs great.

tlapier

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Everyone, I learned a lot from all the opinions. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
jsmithepa
Ha...Yes, this was my retirement present. I was in a rare position where price was not too much of an object.

ElectrO_90
I put in the pair of Samsung SSD 370 pros just to help ensure longevity and this was more or less a one time purchase. ( I also have a 3 terabyte drive as an add-on for backup and archive.)

The entire purchase was on the higher end was because I knew I wouldn't be in a position to spend big bucks for a long time if at all. So...I was trying to solicit opinions on how long I have.

May 11, 2019
I was just reading a really good article this morning on Anandtech about how relevant those still are. That was a massively good chip.
My little brother is still running a i5 2500k at 4.5ghz with a GTX970 and can still hit 60fps in the majority of games on high settings. I used that Cpu for 4 years before i turned it over to him... never thought it would still be good in 2019