When do i have to worry about screen tearing?

Aug 7, 2018
Hey! So recently i have started my journey on building a gaming desktop. I have spent all of this money on my parts, and then i come down to the monitor. I am getting the GTX 1060 3GB. I am looking at really nothing more than 1080p (even though i know my GPU can handle more) so i wont have to spend too much on a monitor. and i know that getting G-sync monitors are a bit pricey. My question is this.

Do i need to be worrying about my screen tearing if i'm going to be getting a GTX 1060 3GB and am only looking to do 1080p at around a 100-120hz refresh rate?

Obviously I do have the desire to really get the full potential out of my GPU in the future, once i have enough money. but could i scrape by using a 1060 3gb with a 100hz-120hz 24" 1080p monitor with no g-sync ?

My main concern is how bad the screen tearing will be. I have done research and some are saying they don't get tearing at all, some are saying they use V-sync to fix their tearing(But i heard that also caused your fps to drop?) and then of course there are some that say their screen tearing is absolutely horrid and render the game useless to play.

I apologize for all the micro-questions but i have been having some real hesitation on what monitor i should get.

any help would be great.

Solution
It depends on the games of course, but the 1060 3gb should be considered a 1080p 60hz card. That's its prime performance slot. So I don't think you'll have screen tearing issues since I don't think you'll be exceeding 100-120fps all that much.

edit: If you use vsync and your framerate drops below the monitor's refresh rate, yes that will have a negative impact on your framerate. For example, if you use vsync on a 60hz monitor and your framerate drops under 60fps, then due to the way vsync works the framerate gets cut in half. 54fps becomes 27fps.
It depends on the games of course, but the 1060 3gb should be considered a 1080p 60hz card. That's its prime performance slot. So I don't think you'll have screen tearing issues since I don't think you'll be exceeding 100-120fps all that much.

edit: If you use vsync and your framerate drops below the monitor's refresh rate, yes that will have a negative impact on your framerate. For example, if you use vsync on a 60hz monitor and your framerate drops under 60fps, then due to the way vsync works the framerate gets cut in half. 54fps becomes 27fps.

Solution