[SOLVED] When do PSUs need replacing?

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
My current build from March 2015 is still using the same RM650 PSU from Corsair, with no issues such as shutdowns etc. My components are Strix 970 @ 1491MHz, FX 8350 @ 4.0 GHz, 14GB RAM, NH-D15 and 3 x 140mm case fans.

I measured power consumption and at idle the system pulls 120-140W and under full synthetic load (Crysis 3 4K + Prime95) the system got to a peak of 385W. This is just over half the maximum power output of the PSU, and I have never heard the PSU fan.

I am wondering if I am lucky with how long my PSU is lasting, or if it will eventually start turning off randomly. Or if I am safe for many years to come :)

- Of all the components I have witnessed failing, I have never seen a failing PSU so I am unsure of the symptoms.

Solution
I have PSUs where I work that have been running pretty much 24/7 for over 20 years.

PSUs can last a very long time.

As far as how they fail....they can fail in many ways.
The voltages can drop or spike....or it can just quit altogether......or you can lose just one voltage......etc.
I have PSUs where I work that have been running pretty much 24/7 for over 20 years.

PSUs can last a very long time.

As far as how they fail....they can fail in many ways.
The voltages can drop or spike....or it can just quit altogether......or you can lose just one voltage......etc.

Reactions: guymarshall
Solution
High quality psu’s can last a very long time (10 years plus) however they still can suffer defects and premature failure. Low quality psu’s are a complete gamble and can last less than 6 months. Yours is a high quality unit.

However the other factors are risk vs warranty. When a psu fails it can damage other components, therefore when building new I’d recommend only using a high quality psu that is still in warranty so you are protected.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
High quality psu’s can last a very long time (10 years plus) however they still can suffer defects and premature failure. Low quality psu’s are a complete gamble and can last less than 6 months. Yours is a high quality unit.

However the other factors are risk vs warranty. When a psu fails it can damage other components, therefore when building new I’d recommend only using a high quality psu that is still in warranty so you are protected.
Thanks for the reply :) Yeah I heard from Linus Tech Tips that I watch daily to never skimp on the power supply! If I get a low quality cooler, CPU or heck even a motherboard I can just replace it if it goes bad, but bad PSUs when they die obviously are a lot more tricky it seems haha

Thank you for the quick reply! Wow I didn't know they lasted that long! I have had shutdowns but they are when I overclock and forget to remove my voltage reduction etc. Thanks for the info! :)
You're welcome.
The PCs I have running on those power supplies are from the 1990s and they have been running since the 1990s....except for power outages....and when I've had to replace other components.

Latest posts