Question When do you think is the new lineup of Nvidia coming out?

Feb 16, 2019
So I was wondering to upgrade to a 2080 Ti from my 980 Ti. However, I feel as though the next gen Nvidia cards would come soon (~1-1.5 years). This assumption of mine is mostly confirmed by other tech sources too. But considering that the last gen upgrade took over 3 years, should I just bite the bullet and get the 2080 Ti or wait for the new launches. FYI, my 980 Ti is a little over 5 years old, and is now having trouble running the latest titles at 1440p 90-120 FPS. I might be able to make it for a year more with my current card, but I don’t wanna be stuck with it for 3+ years.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Well, we don't know. But I don't think any earlier than fall 2020. I think this depends also on how good Navi from AMD will be and how good it competes against Turing. If it kicks Turings butt, we might see a new Nvidia lineup sooner than later. If Turing will still be ahead, it might take a little longer. Hard to say.

But yes, you should be ok with your 980Ti for now. You could upgrade to a RTX 2080, which would roughly double the raw performance plus the ray tracing (as a nice unimportant add-on). But only if you feel like spending the money. Otherwise, sit it out.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
In regards to the 2080 comment above, I would personally find a good 1080 Ti used for a good price instead of buying into RTX with the problems it's been having (also would be cheaper) so if you are going to upgrade as of now and want the upgrade to kick ass and last as long as possible then you either go big with 2080 Ti or go home.

But if you want something that'll be a great improvement on your current card that will still last a decent while, either used 1080 Ti for about $500 or new 2080 for whatever those cost.

P.S. - I currently have an EVGA1080 Ti SC overclocked to 2050MHz and play at 1440p with 100fps or more (depending on game) at high or max preset ( again depending on game).

My overall average fps across many AAA titles is about 90-115 fps.

Reactions: WeirdTechBuilder
Feb 16, 2019
In regards to the 2080 comment above, I would personally find a good 1080 Ti used for a good price instead of buying into RTX with the problems it's been having (also would be cheaper) so if you are going to upgrade as of now and want the upgrade to kick ass and last as long as possible then you either go big with 2080 Ti or go home.

But if you want something that'll be a great improvement on your current card that will still last a decent while, either used 1080 Ti for about $500 or new 2080 for whatever those cost.

P.S. - I currently have an EVGA1080 Ti SC overclocked to 2050MHz and play at 1440p with 100fps or more (depending on game) at high or max preset ( again depending on game).

My overall average fps across many AAA titles is about 90-115 fps.
A 1080Ti for about 500$ would be pretty great. I’ll see if I can find a used card for around that much. My only concern is that I’ll upgrade to a 1080ti or something comparable right now, but a better card will launch in a year or so, and then I’ll be behind the curve for a long time as I only upgrade my PC every 5-6 years. If I can find a cheap 1080ti, maybe I can upgrade a little sooner (like 3 years from now), so I’ll look into that option. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2019
Well, we don't know. But I don't think any earlier than fall 2020. I think this depends also on how good Navi from AMD will be and how good it competes against Turing. If it kicks Turings butt, we might see a new Nvidia lineup sooner than later. If Turing will still be ahead, it might take a little longer. Hard to say.

But yes, you should be ok with your 980Ti for now. You could upgrade to a RTX 2080, which would roughly double the raw performance plus the ray tracing (as a nice unimportant add-on). But only if you feel like spending the money. Otherwise, sit it out.
I’m not budget bound too much right now, as I only upgrade my PC every 5-6 years, so I’m usually looking for hardware that’ll last me a long time instead of upgrading constantly with a lower budget. However, I feel as though new, faster GPUs are coming quite soon. As you mentioned, Navi might be a huge game changer, but with no release date in sight, and rumours stating that AMD is sticking to mid range GPUs again, I’m not sure if it’ll be a major offset to Nvidia. And I’m probably not going to get a 2080, as it barely outperforms the 1080 Ti but it usually goes for a fair bit more and a 2080 Ti costs only $150 more, and would last me better for those 5 years. If I get a used 1080Ti, I might be able to upgrade sooner (around 3 years instead of 5). I might do that, or just go all in and get the 2080 Ti, for the aforementioned reason. Budget isn’t a big concern right now, but longevity is. What option would you recommend I go for?

with that kind of thinking you will never upgrade your 980ti. newer hardware coming out all the time. sometimes they offer better value than previous gen sometimes they are not. part the problem is some people want their purchase today to be the best decision they made even against future product. often there is a cases where people holding back even when they struck a deal thinking there will be better deal in the future. in the end they miss the boat when the unexpected happen like the recent mining craze where it increase GPU pricing significantly. if you think you still can hold out with 980ti then keep using it. if you think you really need the performance just try to get the best deal you can get right now and move on. no need to complicate things about future product that we have no certain knowledge of.

turing true successor probably won't be coming out by late 2020 at the earliest.

TRENDING THREADS