When does windows start using the page-file/disk as RAM

Cheapo PC

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
so I my system has been slowing down a lot and I was wondering if that is because I only have 2GB od ram, would an upgrade to 4GB fix that?

Any help is much apprieciated!

Solution
When your PC starts running low in available RAM it will start using page-file (assuming you didn't disable it). Page-file is not as fast as RAM as it runs direct from your hard drive, so you always want to ensure you have enough RAM.

I would strongly suggest getting at least 4GB of RAM but please be aware that system slow downs are not always a result of high RAM usage. WHen your PC starts slowing down you should open task manager and then the performance tab, as this will show you how much CPU, RAM and HDD are being used. If one is at 100% and the others aren't then you have found your bottleneck.

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
Assuming you're on windows, check your RAM usage by opening taskmanager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and going into the performance tab.

If it's using all of it (or close to) then yes, more RAM will help.

You should also do general cleanup, by using something like CCleaner and disabling unused programs from startup.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
When your PC starts running low in available RAM it will start using page-file (assuming you didn't disable it). Page-file is not as fast as RAM as it runs direct from your hard drive, so you always want to ensure you have enough RAM.

I would strongly suggest getting at least 4GB of RAM but please be aware that system slow downs are not always a result of high RAM usage. WHen your PC starts slowing down you should open task manager and then the performance tab, as this will show you how much CPU, RAM and HDD are being used. If one is at 100% and the others aren't then you have found your bottleneck.

Solution

Cheapo PC

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, on idle the ram is at about 60%

TRENDING THREADS