When downloading Origin games in Windows 10, my computer freezes

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
This seems to happen whenever I power off my display but leave my desktop PC on. My screen and PC sleep settings are set to "Never". Any ideas about what might be causing this? I just finished assembling the PC last night.

Solution

Thank you. I had previously installed the drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard, but I just downloaded the latest from Gigabyt'e's site and uninstalled what it told me to then installed all the drivers. Do you happen to know if I can now delete the folders of the drivers I just downloaded and extracted?

I also checked if XMP was enabled. It wasn't, but it was set to auto (multiplier of 24 for 2400). I assume I don't need to enable it then since it's automatically the correct value? I clicked enable just...
Before doing anything else, run MEMTEST86

www.memtest86.com

(Windows has a built-in diagnostic that reboots the computer. Just type in "memory" and you'll see it. I don't like it as much, but you can use it.)

Run for a full pass (about 30min for 8GB) or until errors.

This tests the system memory. The physical memory sticks that Windows and games load into. If it's corrupting data your system can crash.

Failure can mean:
a) bad memory
b) incorrect timings
c) voltage instability (PSU)
d) motherboard problem
e) CPU bad (not likely)

You can test each memory module one at a time (if you get failures otherwise no point). See the motherboard manual for the recommended slot (any that works). If one stick passes and one fails you've solved the problem. If they both fail individually it's probably not the memory.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a full pass, and got no errors. Before that, I tried downloading games on Origin again clicking only one download at a time while leaving my TV on and had no freezing.

More recently, however, I tried setting up a download queue which would then cause it to freeze even with the screen on. Even with one at a time downloads, I got a (Not responding) message while using chrome, but it started working again after a minute or so. Not sure what's going on. I would try other programs for downloading such as Steam, but now my drive is almost full.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

I7 6700k
GTX 1080
960GB SanDisk SSD
5tb Toshiba 7200Rpm (secondary drive)
Asus DVdRW
Z170X gaming 3
2x16GB Crucial DDR4 2400
Corsair RM650x
Carbide 500r

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Thank you. I had previously installed the drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard, but I just downloaded the latest from Gigabyt'e's site and uninstalled what it told me to then installed all the drivers. Do you happen to know if I can now delete the folders of the drivers I just downloaded and extracted?

I also checked if XMP was enabled. It wasn't, but it was set to auto (multiplier of 24 for 2400). I assume I don't need to enable it then since it's automatically the correct value? I clicked enable just in case.

I also downloaded GeForce experience and updated the video card to the latest driver (although oddly, it wouldn't let me download an update for graphics after pressing custom), so hopefully it's the latest.

Update: I queued up 3 games in Origin of 5-10GB each and it didn't freeze this time. Unfortunately, I now don't really have more room for games so I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I'm hoping the problem is now resolved.

Solution

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hi.

Next time it has "frozen" try unplugging and re-plugging the screen back into the graphics card.

What's the rest of the system hardware?

Is it only while downloading in origin?

Can you turn of the screen and put it back on at any other time and it works fine?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That's up to you.I tend to keep files like that in the download folder.They take not much space and it's easy to reinstall them if thinking it's necessary. For gpu's for example do i have some older driver versions that way so i can tinker with it.

I would set it at enabled too,just to make sure it works as intended.

What do you mean wouldn't let? Can't download the driver directly via the Nvidia site?

Hope it stays this way!