Question When ever I try to record with Nvidia ShadowPlay my game freezes ?

Apr 7, 2022
this happens when i tries to record with shadowplay my game just straight up froze but when i alt tab the game runs smoothly on the back ground
this doesnt happens when i record it with my laptop screen only the external monitor has this problem
specs:
Operating System
Windows 11 Home Single Language 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 2.50GHz
Comet Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-16W2 (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@144Hz)
GIGABYTE G24F (1920x1080@144Hz)
Intel UHD Graphics (MSI)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (MSI)
SLI Disabled
Storage
476GB Kingmax PCIe SSD 512GB (Unknown (SSD))
476GB Micron_2210_MTFDHBA512QFD (Unknown (SSD))

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022
You are playing on a gaming laptop with an external monitor connected - correct?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.
You are playing on a gaming laptop with an external monitor connected - correct?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.
alr i did it i appreciate it if you can find a way for me to solve this

Ralston18

Titan
Start by using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. You will need to leave the tool window open for viewing.

First observe without gaming, then while gaming (you are playing to observe and not necessarily to win), and lastly while recording etc..

Watch for what changes, what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when the freezes/stutters occur.

For the most part it may be that there is too much demand on system resources.

Apr 7, 2022
Start by using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. You will need to leave the tool window open for viewing.

First observe without gaming, then while gaming (you are playing to observe and not necessarily to win), and lastly while recording etc..

Watch for what changes, what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when the freezes/stutters occur.

For the most part it may be that there is too much demand on system resources.
everything seemed normal and the game runs fine when i tab out of it as soon as i click back in to it though it froze again i think its how nvidia handle two screen on a laptop
since one is the internal intel uhd display and the other is nvida gpu display
View: https://vimeo.com/697215689

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure:

Are you playing Elden Ring and CPU is at 43.6%?

Not sure of the game's full resource requirements and situation but it appears to me that the laptop is not able to keep up with joint game play and recording demands.

Unfortunately, Vimeo puts a video header in the upper right corner that gets in my way of being able to see all that is happening.

Experiment a bit more by trying to reduce what apps, tools, etc. may be running in the background.

Then, if necessary take another video. Hold the camera steadier and pan slower holding longer on the subject. Make it as easy as possible for viewers to be able to pause the video for a closer look at things.

Post the video here using imgur (www.imgur.com) if possible.

Apr 7, 2022
Not sure:

Are you playing Elden Ring and CPU is at 43.6%?

Not sure of the game's full resource requirements and situation but it appears to me that the laptop is not able to keep up with joint game play and recording demands.

Unfortunately, Vimeo puts a video header in the upper right corner that gets in my way of being able to see all that is happening.

Experiment a bit more by trying to reduce what apps, tools, etc. may be running in the background.

Then, if necessary take another video. Hold the camera steadier and pan slower holding longer on the subject. Make it as easy as possible for viewers to be able to pause the video for a closer look at things.

Post the video here using imgur (www.imgur.com) if possible.
the video View: https://imgur.com/a/ifFEvuy

ok this is the same laptop but with the external monitor unplugged
it records just fine without the game completely froze View: https://imgur.com/a/lJwjPUc

Ralston18

Titan
Per the imgur video:

Task Manager showing Memory and GPU at very high %'s with second monitor connected.

What % 's does Task Manager show when second monitor is disconnected/unplugged?

Do the same comparison using Resource Monitor as well.

Do the comparison with and without Shadow Play.

Overall my thought is that two monitors/screens plus recording is straining system resources.

Objective being to determine if that is indeed what is happening.

TRENDING THREADS